Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Petropavlovsk mon amour

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Petropavlovsk mon amour

Postby GoSeigen » June 8th, 2018, 1:03 pm

Anyone else watching the savage battle for control at POG? ;-)

GS

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Re: Petropavlovsk mon amour

Postby GoSeigen » June 10th, 2018, 11:09 am

GoSeigen wrote:Anyone else watching the savage battle for control at POG? ;-)

Here you go, speculation that the stalking parties involve Amur Gold:

http://www.rusmet.ru/promnews/show/6845 ... akcionerov

Translation courtesy Google: "Kommersant sources in the market say that Mr. Rakishev can act in the interests of Musa Bazhayev, who planned to bring his Amur Gold to Petropavlovsk (Mr. Rakishev claims he bought shares of gold miner counting on the upside), and CABS and Slevin obviously represent interests of Pavel Maslovsky and his partners."

I think a different Amur is behind CABS and Slevin, but we will have to wait and see! Whatever, I think the combination of POG with other miners is a sound idea... very minded to vote in favour of the stalking horses.

GS

Geolog

Postby Geolog » October 1st, 2018, 5:46 pm

In case it may be of help (and I haven't said anything publicly before this as I was independent geological adviser to the board of Petropavlovsk plc from 2004 to 2011) - the growth of Petropavlovsk has not primarily been due to financial shenanigans, but to the genius of the group's chief geologist, Nikolay Vlasov, who has a nose for major gold deposits. I was working for the company during the period that the Albyn deposit was discovered and evaluated, and must say that this was a brilliant piece of mineral exploration in difficult and remote terrain. Nikolay manages a team of very bright geologists. However, Nikolay is now in his 70s, and nobody can go on forever. My fear is that too much upheaval among the senior management of the company could seriously impact the effectiveness of his team. The company has grown organically by finding and developing its own new deposits - Pioneer, Malomir, Albyn, etc., and if I were an investor I would be getting rather worried that a possible shake-up at the top could have repercussions among its exploration management.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » January 31st, 2019, 3:42 pm

Thanks Geolog for your thoughts on POG.

Just mentioning this Russian gold mining company again as a few factors are coming together to make this an interesting time.

1. The broader market looks better after a torrid winter.
2. Russian stocks are rising nicely.
3. The price of gold has been picking up and building on a bullish trend which has seen its weekly MACD turn positive (possible bull market under way).
4. There seems to be higher valuation of mining companies in general, at least the ones I am watching, e.g. AAL is hitting new highs after a long consolidation.
5. Many of POG's woes have been put behind them: they have refinanced; the battle for control has been resolved with the old guard Maslovsky and Hambro back at the wheel; Cash flow looks good; they have just commissioned their POX hub which is now ramping up.
6. Their subsidiary IRC is at last looking perkier. The flooding of Brazilian mines has affected iron ore supplies causing ore prices to rise. IRC's business suddenly looks brighter, especially completion of the Amur crossing is imminent, and IRC's shares have more than doubled this month. They have also resolved their funding issues with a new banking deal. All these of benefit to POG.

POG is probably still at the riskier end of gold mining, but as one of the top 3 Russian producers it is probably big enough to have a look at.

GS
Disclosure: long POG, adding recently.

Return to “Mining & Metals”