Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

How do I know if the 4x4 is working?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

How do I know if the 4x4 is working?

Postby stevensfo » January 22nd, 2019, 1:16 pm

Hi, I have a 4-yr old Volvo XC60 AWD and never really thought about the 4x4 system until recently. As far as I can tell, it's an automatic system that engages 4x4 only when required, but I can't find much info in the manual. I'm wondering about how I can tell when it's activated and if there's any sign that it's functioning correctly.

I can see no indicators on the dashboard, though I did once notice the snowflake symbol flashing during a sharp turn. Not sure if it was the cars way of warning about reaching 2'C or a subtle insult. :-)

Any thoughts? Never had a 4x4 before so know nothing. Just a piece of metal to get me from A to B.

Steve

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: How do I know if the 4x4 is working?

Postby swill453 » January 22nd, 2019, 1:29 pm

According to this manual http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/2016- ... ual-v1.pdf (page 264) the AWD is permanent, with "most" of the engine's power directed to the front wheels in normal driving conditions.

Scott.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 23rd, 2019, 7:41 am

Thanks Scott, I didn't know that. I assume therefore that there must be a sensor that controls all this. I'll ask them at the next service.

Steve

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 23rd, 2019, 8:18 am

I have a Q5 Quattro with permanent 4 wheel drive and it tells me this in the manual. It automatically adjusts the power between wheels depending on the road conditions. I assume yours will do the same, but the manual should tell you. The only indication I have is that it gives me a great feeling of security in all driving conditions although I must say I am not a boy racer and although say in snow it is very good I need to remember that it does not help for stopping!

Dod

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 23rd, 2019, 10:53 am

Dod101 wrote:I have a Q5 Quattro with permanent 4 wheel drive and it tells me this in the manual. It automatically adjusts the power between wheels depending on the road conditions. I assume yours will do the same, but the manual should tell you. The only indication I have is that it gives me a great feeling of security in all driving conditions although I must say I am not a boy racer and although say in snow it is very good I need to remember that it does not help for stopping!

Dod

Well we're in North Italy, so by law, in the winter all cars must have either winter tyres fitted or at least snow chains in the boot. I have both just for safety because, as you say, the 4x4 doesn't help much once you start skidding on ice. Fortunately it never snows for more than a few days during the winter, but when we do get it, it's a lot!

Steve

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » January 23rd, 2019, 11:15 am

I own an Audi Q3 with permanent 4 wheel drive. Earlier this month I noticed that my vehicles front wheels were spinning on take off. I took the car to an Audi dealership who diagnosed the fault as a broken Haldex controller which regulates the drive between the front and rear wheels. If your 4 wheel drive is not working correctly you will find you will get wheelspin from the front wheels when taking off quickly.

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » January 29th, 2019, 4:09 pm

As previously mentioned it is all controlled electronically via the Haldex in the rear axle. The rear axle will only cut in when needed, most of the time you will be running in front wheel drive with hardly a sniff of rear action. The easiest way to tell if the Haldex is working (they can, and do, fail, notably on the Land Rover Freelander 2) is to find a wet grass area with lots of room to fanny around, stick a couple of passengers on the back hanging out of the windows looking at the rear wheels, then give it a rally-drivers launch :D The passengers should see the wheels kicking up the dirt if all is well, and you may get a traction control light flash up on the dash.

In rough terms it works off the ABS sensor picking up a slipping wheel, sends a signal to the Haldex, which in turn locks up the diff to drive the axle, all done seemlessly quicker than the blink of an eye. No input needed from the driver, it just does its thing.

IIRC the Haldex in the back of Volvo XC motors is the same one as the Freelander 2, though I am happy to be shown otherwise.

4x4Mork

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » January 29th, 2019, 8:03 pm

My understanding of 4WD is that there are two main types - the Haldex system favoured by Audi and several other, mostly german manufacturers and the more conventional 4WD used by Subaru, Land Rover and Toyota Land Cruisers.

Haldex systems are designed mostly for speed, if you want to hoon around a roundabout in a giant vehicle at considerably over the speed limit, the Haldex will kick in and prevent you sliding into a nearby tree. In normal driving they become effectivly a 2WD which makes them far more fuel efficient.

In harsh conditions: snow, gravel, steep inclines and much slower speeds, a conventional 4WD will seriously embarrass the Haldex systems - there are lots of videos on YouTube gleefully pointing this out. But the serious 4WD's do have a cost in maintenance and significant extra fuel costs.

If all you care about is winter driving performance the best value option is to buy a sensible 2WD car and add some winter tyres.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 29th, 2019, 10:55 pm

Lanark wrote:Haldex systems are designed mostly for speed, if you want to hoon around a roundabout in a giant vehicle at considerably over the speed limit, the Haldex will kick in and prevent you sliding into a nearby tree.

I know Haldex systems are clever, but how do they know what the speed limit is?

Paul

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » January 30th, 2019, 10:32 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
I know Haldex systems are clever, but how do they know what the speed limit is?

Osmosis :lol:

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”