Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Car hire age limit

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Car hire age limit

Postby kiloran » February 14th, 2019, 8:45 pm

I needed to book a hire car for the start of march, by which time I'll have turned 70. Went to the Avis website, unchecked the "Driver aged between 30 and 70"* box and then found I could not book online and needed to phone them. Can't be bothered with that so googled to find out which companies have an upper age limit, and dropped upon some Europcar terms and conditions https://www.europcar.ie/EBE/module/rend ... cale=en_IE

It states "The maximum driver age for Pembroke, Carmarthen, Plymouth, exeter, Newquay and Taunton is 75." Not a problem for me but I'm intrigued why these somewhat-out-of-the-way places have been singled out. Very odd.

--kiloran

* It could be argued that 70 is between 30 and 70, but I don't want to risk getting to the airport and being refused a car.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Car hire age limit

Postby PinkDalek » February 14th, 2019, 9:13 pm

kiloran wrote:... I don't want to risk getting to the airport and being refused a car.

Doesn't it depend on where that airport is. For instance Avis say for Jersey:

The maximum age for all cars is 80 years old. I'm assuming that means 80 year olds may hire (and they are not referring to the age of the vehicle).

https://www.avisjersey.co.uk/hire-car-t ... jersey.php

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 15th, 2019, 8:45 am

... I wonder if there are quite a large demographic of pver 70s living in jersey. or rather its a destination favoured by people over 70... and so to not permit rentals for over 70s would hit their market?

didds

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 15th, 2019, 9:00 am

didds wrote:... I wonder if there are quite a large demographic of pver 70s living in jersey. or rather its a destination favoured by people over 70... and so to not permit rentals for over 70s would hit their market?

didds

Don't forget that the maximum speed limit in Jersey is 40mph. And even that is unachievable on many of the twisting country roads.

So the risks are reduced.

Watis

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”