Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Stylish, practical convertible - does one exist?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Stylish, practical convertible - does one exist?

Postby Mike4 » June 18th, 2021, 1:04 am

ReformedCharacter wrote:
88V8 wrote:And of course if you want an older model, there's the Stag https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234055322205?hash=item367ec8ca5d:g:B3EAAOSw1I1gy3Xt

V8

The Stag is a lovely looking car of its type. It could have been a great success but never sold well. Poor design, poor build quality, lack of development money and a questionable choice of engine all contributed to it's lack of sales. If it had been better built and there had been sufficient Rover V8 engines it could have been a very good car, a disappointment like so many other British cars of that period. Pity.

RC

I followed a beautifully restored Stag for a few miles the other day and wondered what engine they had originally. Your listing mentions a V8 but IIRC whatever V8 it was, was an utter turkey and a popular/easy replacement back in the day was the Wankel rotary engine.

What V8 was fitted to the Stag originally, given it was not the Rover? Just curious...

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 18th, 2021, 1:18 am

Mike4 wrote:I followed a beautifully restored Stag for a few miles the other day and wondered what engine they had originally...

What V8 was fitted to the Stag originally, given it was not the Rover? Just curious...

The Stag's v8 engine started development by Triumph independently before they became part of the Rover group. It could be unreliable, many owners prefering to replace it with the reliable Rover v8 engine which was a straight swap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_V8

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 18th, 2021, 9:16 am

Breelander wrote: It could be unreliable, many owners prefering to replace it with the reliable Rover v8 engine which was a straight swap.

Wow that must have been the only thing reliable about a Rover in those days. :D

John

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » June 18th, 2021, 10:08 am

redsturgeon wrote:
Breelander wrote: It could be unreliable, many owners prefering to replace it with the reliable Rover v8 engine which was a straight swap.

Wow that must have been the only thing reliable about a Rover in those days. :D

John

The engine was originally made by Buick and (apparently) spotted on an overseas trip. The rights and tooling were acquired in 1964. There were a lot of politics between Triumph and Rover after being brought into the same ownership and the Triumph development people claimed that the RoverV8 would not fit in the Triumph Stag. Apparently there weren't enough Rover V8 engines being produced anyway. The Triumph V8 was probably untruly derided as 2 x 4 cylinder engines siamesed together but whatever the truth they weren't a patch on the Rover engine.

https://www.aronline.co.uk/engines/engines-rover-v8/

RC

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 18th, 2021, 10:10 am

Snorvey wrote:My mates dad had a Rover V8. It sounded great.

.....but in close competition with Harley Davidson, it was one of the most effective engines for turning fuel into noise and heat without the troublesome side effect of generating horsepower.

I think you're being a little unfair, it was always a nice engine to drive as it had oodles of low end grunt even if the top end power output was low for 3.5 litres of swept volume. But more specifically even today it makes a great base engine for tuning and raising the power output - all the engineering fundamentals are good. Nice strong crankshaft, revs freely etc etc.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 18th, 2021, 11:26 am

I think nowadays the problems with the Stag's engine have been well sorted, as have for instance the original problems with the TR6 fuel injection. Forty years on we have reliability that just did not exist back in the day.
One does see Stags with RV8s now and then. There was an Overfinch conversion with a 4.2 on eBay recently.

I have an RV8+auto in my 74 Lightweight Land Rover... Edelbrock.. Piper 270... lovely noise..
I wish I could carry around my own tunnel :)

V8

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 18th, 2021, 4:36 pm

88V8 wrote:I
I have an RV8+auto in my 74 Lightweight Land Rover... Edelbrock.. Piper 270... lovely noise..
I wish I could carry around my own tunnel :)

V8

The rear wheels aren't driven?

:)

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”