Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

BEVs and water

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

BEVs and water

Postby Arborbridge » January 12th, 2022, 7:01 pm

I was walking along a track with big dips and deep puddles this weekend and I thought:

batteries, high voltage, wiring and connectors, water: not a happy combination.

Has anyone, would anyone drive through a ford with a BEV*? Is anyone worried about big puddles and generous amounts of spray for hours?

Are there any/many stories of failures through water ingress? In fact, how is the battery bank sealed anyway?

*and before anyone says "its no different to an ICE, let me mention that I wouldn't hesitate to drive through a ford of known depth knowing that no harm would result provided I kept the revs up and the speed down :)

Arb.

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: BEVs and water

Postby monabri » January 12th, 2022, 8:07 pm

https://www.wm-motor.com/en/news/detail/337.html

Interesting note from WM motors, a Chinese company.

"In China, most electric vehicles can attain an IP67 rating for their electronics and battery systems, with only a few achieving IP68 level, which means that the enclosure is dust tight and suitable for continuous immersion in water."

"WM Motor’s battery pack is one of the few to achieve the highest IP68 rating."

"What’s the difference between IP67 and IP68 for EV’s?

Electric vehicles with an IP67 rating can stand in water at a maximum depth of 1 meter for 30 minutes without any leakage or damage to the electronic components. IP68 rated vehicles can withstand harsher conditions for longer periods of time without any impact to the electronics. That’s to say that when faced with stagnant water during times of flooding, IP67 rated vehicles can already achieve a high level of resistance, however EV’s with a IP68 rating have a much more durable buffer against intrusion, which in turn leads to greater longevity and peace of mind for the vehicle owner."

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 12th, 2022, 8:25 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I was walking along a track with big dips and deep puddles this weekend and I thought:

Has anyone, would anyone drive through a ford with a BEV*? Is anyone worried about big puddles and generous amounts of spray for hours?

Are there any/many stories of failures through water ingress? In fact, how is the battery bank sealed anyway?

*and before anyone says "its no different to an ICE, let me mention that I wouldn't hesitate to drive through a ford of known depth knowing that no harm would result provided I kept the revs up and the speed down :)

Arb.

Any help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSR6Y2gNeI0

or if you get a cheap one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9plRzRZ_PY&t=40s

tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Postby tsr2 » January 12th, 2022, 8:58 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I was walking along a track with big dips and deep puddles this weekend and I thought:

Arb.

The battery packs should be well sealed, but I remember a story of a plug being knocked out of a battery pack on a BEV, resulting in water ingress.
I also remember stories of Renault ICE cars with low air intakes having their engines completely destroyed by puddles you would expect most cars to traverse safely. That wouldn't happen to a BEV.
Another story I remember was comparing the wading depth according to the manufacturer for ICE and Electric variants of the same cars and the ICE cars had deeper wading depths.
One possible BEV advantage is that extra battery weight might reduce the risk of being swept away?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 12th, 2022, 9:05 pm

tsr2 wrote:One possible BEV advantage is that extra battery weight might reduce the risk of being swept away?

I wasn't thinking of a ford that deep :lol:

Arb.

tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Postby tsr2 » January 17th, 2022, 1:58 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Has anyone, would anyone drive through a ford with a BEV*? Is anyone worried about big puddles and generous amounts of spray for hours?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlfkdcUC3Z0

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 17th, 2022, 3:26 pm

tsr2 wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Has anyone, would anyone drive through a ford with a BEV*? Is anyone worried about big puddles and generous amounts of spray for hours?

Not forgetting the white Tesla which makes a short but very game splash at Rufford Mill (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUYfTrXHK4U, about 40 seconds into the sequence). Big thanks to Mike4 at Beerpig's place, who first drew our collective attention to this delightful spectator sport. :D

Whereas my wife's ICE Polo killed its alternator by wading through six inches or so. You never can tell. :(

BJ

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » January 17th, 2022, 5:27 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
tsr2 wrote:One possible BEV advantage is that extra battery weight might reduce the risk of being swept away?

I wasn't thinking of a ford that deep :lol:

Arb.

How deep is "that deep"? At about sill level most IC cars will start to float.

For example a Nissan Qashqai has a wading depth of just 350mm, while the leaf has a wading depth of 700mm.
https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.4089565

Note 350mm is less than 14", just over a foot in old money.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 17th, 2022, 6:08 pm

tsr2 wrote:

Great video. Took me back to my days in Iceland wading through rivers. Fortunately, our group had three land rovers so if one got stuck in snow or water, we could use one of the others to winch out.

Arb.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 19th, 2022, 11:24 am

Arborbridge wrote:
tsr2 wrote:

Great video. Took me back to my days in Iceland wading through rivers. Fortunately, our group had three land rovers so if one got stuck in snow or water, we could use one of the others to winch out.

Arb.

If you like that sort of thing, this youtube channel is my guilty pleasure.

It features Matt and his family who make their living towing people out of difficult off road situations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1DRxbuQHZw

John

EDIT Just changed the link to the latest recovery, really good one in deep snow, involving three winches and a snow cat!

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » January 19th, 2022, 4:36 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
Just changed the link to the latest recovery, really good one in deep snow, involving three winches and a snow cat!

I am clearly a wimp. They are willing to stand a lot closer than I am to cables under strain ( see around 12:15-12:30 in the clip.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 20th, 2022, 5:24 pm

genou wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
Just changed the link to the latest recovery, really good one in deep snow, involving three winches and a snow cat!

I am clearly a wimp. They are willing to stand a lot closer than I am to cables under strain ( see around 12:15-12:30 in the clip.

This was covered in the video at about 18.00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk3pPkGME4c

Not sure if they are talking sense but I guess these guys have been doing this stuff for a long time.

John

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » January 20th, 2022, 7:02 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
Not sure if they are talking sense but I guess these guys have been doing this stuff for a long time.

John

Another new thing learnt. They're all still here, so they must know something.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 21st, 2022, 11:26 am

genou wrote:Another new thing learnt. They're all still here, so they must know something.

The laws of probability, I imagine. When a stressed steel cable does its one-in-a-thousand failure thing, you might not be around long enough to count the milliseconds. :?

Professionally, I'm sure those guys use the very highest quality cables, lovingly stored and regularly tested and inspected. In the real world, I can do no better than to just hope so. ;)

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 21st, 2022, 11:33 am

bungeejumper wrote:
genou wrote:Another new thing learnt. They're all still here, so they must know something.

The laws of probability, I imagine. When a stressed steel cable does its one-in-a-thousand failure thing, you might not be around long enough to count the milliseconds. :?

Professionally, I'm sure those guys use the very highest quality cables, lovingly stored and regularly tested and inspected. In the real world, I can do no better than to just hope so. ;)

BJ

Apparently they do not use steel cables but synthetic material that reacts differently. I have no idea whether this is true or not but I guess it's their limbs they are looking after.

They are from Utah however and I have seen plenty in the videos that suggest health and safety is treated a little less seriously there than here. :)

John

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 21st, 2022, 11:37 am

redsturgeon wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:

BJ

Apparently they do not use steel cables but synthetic material that reacts differently. I have no idea whether this is true or not but I guess it's their limbs they are looking after.

John

Doesn't make it any easier to watch though!

I wince just thinking about it; but then I did have a Frankenstein neck scar for a couple of weeks after tuning the wrong guitar string (lent over the body trying to work out why the pitch wasn't changing :roll: )

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 21st, 2022, 11:47 am

servodude wrote:I wince just thinking about it; but then I did have a Frankenstein neck scar for a couple of weeks after tuning the wrong guitar string (lent over the body trying to work out why the pitch wasn't changing :roll: )

Didn't do Hendrix any harm, did it? But then, maybe he was playing with his teeth at the time? ;)

BJ (nylon strings on the guitar, steel on the lower end of the cello)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 21st, 2022, 11:53 am

bungeejumper wrote:
servodude wrote:I wince just thinking about it; but then I did have a Frankenstein neck scar for a couple of weeks after tuning the wrong guitar string (lent over the body trying to work out why the pitch wasn't changing :roll: )

Didn't do Hendrix any harm, did it? But then, maybe he was playing with his teeth at the time? ;)

BJ (nylon strings on the guitar, steel on the lower end of the cello)

Cello strings could hurt!
Financially more than most other ways I suppose.

I've a friend whose daughter is starting out in the cello game and she's up for a new set every six months (then again the instrument is mortgaged!) I do what I can to help by lending her guitar pedals (she does a lot of self accompanying via looper)

-sd
Last edited by servodude on January 21st, 2022, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » January 21st, 2022, 12:03 pm

You could make worse choices of an instrument :

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 21st, 2022, 12:07 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:You could make worse choices of an instrument :

...and I thought the embouchure was hard enough on a standard liquorice stick!

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”