Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Shortlisting for a ‘taller’ car

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Shortlisting for a ‘taller’ car

Postby MyNameIsUrl » August 8th, 2022, 3:22 pm

As I get older I’m struggling getting in and out of a saloon car and finding the reclined sitting position uncomfortable. Consequently, I’m looking for a ‘taller’ car with more upright seats (seems these are now called SUVs), and I’d appreciate any input on creating a shortlist please.

I’d like something compact in size – I’m driving a Focus at the moment and I don’t really want to go much longer or wider, and I’m not wanting a premium brand. It’ll be petrol, possibly a year or two old, possibly new.

I’ve found the website automobiledimension.com which is great for giving overall dimensions, but there’s no substitute for personal views, especially about something like the ‘uprightness’ of the seats.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Shortlisting for a ‘taller’ car

Postby staffordian » August 8th, 2022, 3:45 pm

To start you off, maybe look at a Hyundai Kona. We have the larger Tucson and I'm as happy with it (had it 4 years now) as with any car I've owned. The Kona seems to me to be a Tucson which has shrunk in the wash, and whilst I've never driven one, I doubt it's much different in feel to the Tucson.

Snag is, you ask ten people for their choice of car and I suspect you'll get at least a dozen opinions, all denigrating the other suggestions :)

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » August 8th, 2022, 3:56 pm

Vauxhall Mokka.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 8th, 2022, 3:57 pm

A bit older, but the Rover P4 would probably suit you.

No idea how large the Focus is, but the Rover is just short of 15ft long and 6'6" wide.
Example https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1457830

V8

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Postby 6Tricia » August 8th, 2022, 4:33 pm

Some years ago I had the same problem and bought a Susuki Jimny, easier to get 'up' into and no stress on the knees getting out. Apparently it's no longer made but there seem to be plenty of second hand ones about. I drove mine for 10 years before giving up driving altogether due to mobility issues.

Tricia

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » August 8th, 2022, 6:29 pm

Ford don't do a taller Focus, the taller models are the Puma, which is about 8 inches shorter and a bit narrower, or the Kuga, which starts at about a foot longer.

Then again these are compareed to the current Focus, so if yours is an older model it is likely to be smaller and more akin to a Kuga (not to be confused with a Ford Cougar, which is a different car alltogether and sadly missed, probably, usually by the sort of person I end up sat next to on a long haul flight).

Paul

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » August 8th, 2022, 6:33 pm

I went for an Audi Q3 which was perfect for similar needs. It maybe too premium for some but it's a great car nonetheless. Unfortunately I sold it for a BMW X2 which is not as "tall".

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » August 8th, 2022, 7:10 pm

Reasonably priced premium, tall but small
VW T-Roc
VW T-Cross

or cheap but astonishing value for money, taller cars, we've had 5 now, zero defects, you should test drive one.
Dacia Stepway
Dacia Duster

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » August 8th, 2022, 8:03 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:As I get older I’m struggling getting in and out of a saloon car and finding the reclined sitting position uncomfortable. Consequently, I’m looking for a ‘taller’ car with more upright seats (seems these are now called SUVs),

Sounds like what you want is a modern equivalent of the original Vauxhall Agila that some elderly relatives ran for years as their "shopping trolley". Since it was a rebadged Suzuki Wagon R+, it was sort of a baby MPV but very short which made the seating position very "sit up and beg".

Dunno what the modern equivalent would be though, as you've noted, small SUVs seem to have taken over that segment of the market.

It's so dependent on personal anatomy and taste, so much depends on your height, and leg/torso length, and mobility.

I have an elderly relative who is about to get a second new hip and loves their Subaru XV. Subarus certainly have good seats, another relative had several before switching to a Volvo and immediately got sciatica. Went back to a Subaru, no more sciatica.

The Mazda baby SUVs are also quite nice, I can't remember which one I've driven - CX-30 maybe?

I don't really get on with the VW group SUVs, the T-Cross is the least bad from my perspective and I *really* don't get on with the T-Roc but I know several people who like theirs.

Modern Minis are a lot bigger than you might think and a Countryman might work for you - they're a bit Marmite though.

There's really no substitute for sitting in a bunch of different ones to see what you think, you'll automatically reject 7 out of 10 and they will be a different set of 7 to my choice or the choice of Bob down the road.

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » August 8th, 2022, 11:35 pm

High seat position is perhaps the term you're looking for. Mostly they are SUV's although there are some smaller ones, eg the BMW i3. Not that that would make your shortlist due to its premium branding.

If you don't mind a quirky design have a look at the Kia Soul, gets good reviews, reliable, bags of space etc. You can pick up a 2/3 yo one for about £12k. If you're after an automatic that's going to bump the price up a bit.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 9th, 2022, 12:45 am

6Tricia wrote:Some years ago I had the same problem and bought a Susuki Jimny, easier to get 'up' into and no stress on the knees getting out. Apparently it's no longer made but there seem to be plenty of second hand ones about. I drove mine for 10 years before giving up driving altogether due to mobility issues.

Tricia

They've re-released the Jimny; it's brilliant!

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 9th, 2022, 7:28 am

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » August 9th, 2022, 11:24 am

scotview wrote:
or cheap but astonishing value for money, taller cars, we've had 5 now, zero defects, you should test drive one.
Dacia Stepway
Dacia Duster

and the Sandero (possibly not tall enough) even has a petrol/LPG bi-fuel option - that'll save you some serious cash on running costs too.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 9th, 2022, 4:27 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:Sounds like what you want is a modern equivalent of the original Vauxhall Agila that some elderly relatives ran for years as their "shopping trolley". Since it was a rebadged Suzuki Wagon R+, it was sort of a baby MPV but very short which made the seating position very "sit up and beg".

Dunno what the modern equivalent would be though, as you've noted, small SUVs seem to have taken over that segment of the market.

I think that the current equivalent is the Celerio. There is also the Ignis. My wife has a Splash which replaced the Wagon R+.

TJH

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » August 9th, 2022, 6:21 pm

Fluke wrote:and the Sandero (possibly not tall enough) even has a petrol/LPG bi-fuel option - that'll save you some serious cash on running costs too.

Really? Wow - I never knew any manufacturers were offering LPG as a factory option.

Just had a look and it seems to be gaining ground in the US, but only Dacia here.

Paul

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » August 15th, 2022, 11:52 am

Just a thought. When my mother and father in law developed age related mobility problems they had a great deal of difficulty getting into our Toyota RAV4 which is a not particularly tall SUV. In the end they had less trouble 'falling' into my BMW 1 series. You also need to think about the door aperture, how wide etc. Modern Mini's for instance, nearly need leg oragami to get into! We also had one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobility-Stand ... s9dHJ1ZQ== wich was quite useful.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 15th, 2022, 12:04 pm

It's rather restrictive, if one insists on a modern plastic blob filled with superfluous electronic toys... this 1997 taxi would be easy of access, I would have thought. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334521396367?hash=item4de3076c8f:g:My0AAOSw5Qxi6hlJ
And only 381,000 miles from new.

Or for a bit less money here's a newer Renault Avantime I bet you've never seen, jolly wide doors. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225046720258?hash=item3465d46f02:g:WG0AAOSwmplit-Rv

V8

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » August 15th, 2022, 12:29 pm

airbus330 wrote:Just a thought. When my mother and father in law developed age related mobility problems they had a great deal of difficulty getting into our Toyota RAV4 which is a not particularly tall SUV.

I thought they were Toyota's answer to the Freelander with proper offroad capability, "Recreational Active Vehicle with 4-wheel-drive" was the original remit. Both have similar ground clearance of just over 8 inches, about 2 inches higher than normal cars.

The Focus is particularly low at 5 inches, non sporty Golf is an inch higher, and you can search for "cars with n inches ground clearance" and get a list of suggestions.

Obviously ground clearance isn't the only factor in deciding seat height as it also depends upon design of the underside, but it is a pretty good starting point.

Paul

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » August 15th, 2022, 1:00 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
airbus330 wrote:Just a thought. When my mother and father in law developed age related mobility problems they had a great deal of difficulty getting into our Toyota RAV4 which is a not particularly tall SUV.

Obviously ground clearance isn't the only factor in deciding seat height as it also depends upon design of the underside, but it is a pretty good starting point.

Paul

I think you make a good point here. The issue on the RAV was less to do with the vehicle height, but more to do with the height of the seat cushion. I've been in a Freelander fairly recently and it feels lower to the ground, perhaps because you sit lower in the vehicle. As suggested, shortlist and go and sit in a few models. I'll throw in a BMW X1 as an alternative.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » August 15th, 2022, 1:35 pm

Fundamentally, it’s easiest when the seat is already just below bum-height when standing, and the door access allows you to more or less sit into the seat from the pavement. This is why I suggested the Mokka. https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/vauxhall/mokka-0

Someone subsequently mentioned the Stepway - also a good choice from this point of view.

But then, we’re all a bit different, and it’ll depend on your own particulars. You’ll just have to try different models until you find one that suits you.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”