Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Allowing a minor to drive your car

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: Allowing a minor to drive your car

Postby AF62 » July 13th, 2023, 6:49 pm

swill453 wrote:Could she go to court and plead guilty but in mitigation say she mistakenly thought she had an "any driver" policy?

Aside from the fact that virtually nobody has an ‘any driver’ policy anymore, if she had previously bought additional insurance then the court would likely take a dim view of trying to deceive them on the occasion she didn’t and was stopped.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » July 14th, 2023, 6:29 pm

swill453 wrote:
AF62 wrote:Not only that, but a S143 ‘no insurance’ conviction is going to do horrible things to Betty’s insurance premium.

Could she go to court and plead guilty but in mitigation say she mistakenly thought she had an "any driver" policy?

Scott.

I think those are so rare that won’t cut any ice. Will probably just enrage the magistrates. Policies that allow the policy holder to drive any car (with third party cover) are common. Policies which cover any driver? Never seen.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 14th, 2023, 6:34 pm

Spet0789 wrote:
swill453 wrote:Could she go to court and plead guilty but in mitigation say she mistakenly thought she had an "any driver" policy?

Scott.

I think those are so rare that won’t cut any ice. Will probably just enrage the magistrates. Policies that allow the policy holder to drive any car (with third party cover) are common. Policies which cover any driver? Never seen.

https://www.google.com/search?q=any+driver+cover+car+insurance+uk

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 14th, 2023, 6:48 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Spet0789 wrote:I think those are so rare that won’t cut any ice. Will probably just enrage the magistrates. Policies that allow the policy holder to drive any car (with third party cover) are common. Policies which cover any driver? Never seen.

https://www.google.com/search?q=any+driver+cover+car+insurance+uk

I notice that at least some of those policies say that the "any driver" has to be over 21 or over 25. So even if Betty had had that type of cover (she did not) it would not have helped here.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 14th, 2023, 7:00 pm

Lootman wrote:

I notice that at least some of those policies say that the "any driver" has to be over 21 or over 25. So even if Betty had had that type of cover (she did not) it would not have helped here.

And (without having actually looked into any of them) I strongly suspect that there aren't (m)any where "any driver" includes those with just a provisional licence. ;)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 14th, 2023, 7:17 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Lootman wrote:I notice that at least some of those policies say that the "any driver" has to be over 21 or over 25. So even if Betty had had that type of cover (she did not) it would not have helped here.

And (without having actually looked into any of them) I strongly suspect that there aren't (m)any where "any driver" includes those with just a provisional licence. ;)

And even if she had had such an applicable policy, then she would surely have shown it to the cop at the time. Since she did not (because she could not) I do not think that going to court and claiming that you thought you did have cover is going to work.

The only defences, I suspect, are technical and procedural in nature. Maybe if the cop does not show up on the court date, perhaps? I think a better bet is for her to accept responsibility, express remorse and hope that the court sympathises with her on the basis of her status (single mother) and occupation (nurse in a cancer ward).

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » July 15th, 2023, 2:24 pm

swill453 wrote:Extensive googling still fails to find mention of this offence, even trying variations of phrasing. I can't help thinking there's some breakdown in communication somewhere between offender/police/Lootman.

Scott.

That would also be my understanding.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 17th, 2023, 3:16 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Lootman wrote:I notice that at least some of those policies say that the "any driver" has to be over 21 or over 25. So even if Betty had had that type of cover (she did not) it would not have helped here.

Many years ago - at least fifty - I was selling a motorbike. At that time I had a policy which covered me for any bike, perhaps with a 250cc limit. A chap came for a test drive and in those more trusting days I allowed him to ride away unsupervised.
He reappeared with a policeman in tow. I never did find out why he had been stopped, but it transpired that he had an 'any rider' policy which only covered him for his own bike, and as my 'any bike' policy only covered me, neither of us had any cover for his test drive.
He got done for No Insurance, and I got done for Permit No Insurance and collected three points.

One way and another Betty is in for it....

V8

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 18th, 2023, 8:35 am

88V8 wrote:He reappeared with a policeman in tow. I never did find out why he had been stopped, but it transpired that he had an 'any rider' policy which only covered him for his own bike, and as my 'any bike' policy only covered me, neither of us had any cover for his test drive.
He got done for No Insurance, and I got done for Permit No Insurance and collected three points.

One way and another Betty is in for it....

Indeed. FWIW, the last time I needed short-term cover (to drive my daughter's car), fully comp from DayInsure etc came in at £20-£25 a day - or I could have had up to five hours (from memory) for about half that. The policy only took about five minutes to set up online.

There are still cheaper deals available, but they tend to rely on the assumption that that there's another comprehensive policy already in place to cover the car. So if your potential purchaser totals your car, you'll be the one whose insurance takes the brunt of the hit. And if the driver turns out not to have a full licence? I suspect you'll both be in court, because you'll have invalidated your own insurance. It's a tough old world. :(

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”