Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

How many windscreen wipers do you need?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

How many windscreen wipers do you need?

Postby DrFfybes » February 21st, 2018, 12:16 pm

Say someone had an older car, and found that wiper arms were no longer available when the passenger one failed.

Whilst trying to find a compatible one (same spline count, similar length) would it be legal to use the vehicle with just the driver's side one working?

From here...
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... hicles.pdf

It says I must have at least one, and that all wiperS required must be in working order.

We've not been using the car, but tomorrow will need 2 cars, although one will only be for a short 5 mile round trip.

Any ideas?

Paul

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: How many windscreen wipers do you need?

Postby redsturgeon » February 21st, 2018, 1:03 pm

I think the chances of you being penalised for this are vanishingly small.

John

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 21st, 2018, 4:12 pm

Phone a local MOT station and ask if it would pass MOT. If it would, then I'd say you were OK. If not, possibly not.

Not that it has much bearing on the subject, but my first car only had one windscreen wiper, with no way to fit a 2nd. Mind you, having driven that in rain and one with just a single central wiper by design, I wouldn't want to do it again.

Slarti

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 21st, 2018, 5:12 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Say someone had an older car, and found that wiper arms were no longer available when the passenger one failed.

Whilst trying to find a compatible one (same spline count, similar length) would it be legal to use the vehicle with just the driver's side one working?

From here...
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... hicles.pdf

It says I must have at least one, and that all wiperS required must be in working order. ...

The referenced Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986 ... on/34/made goes into more detail and includes (my bold):

Windscreen wipers and washers

34.—(1) Subject to paragraphs (4) and (5), every vehicle fitted with a windscreen shall, unless the driver can obtain an adequate view to the front of the vehicle without looking through the windscreen, be fitted with one or more efficient automatic windscreen wipers capable of clearing the windscreen so that the driver has an adequate view of the road in front of both sides of the vehicle and to the front of the vehicle. ...
and, if relevant, (6) Every wiper and washer fitted in accordance with this regulation shall at all times while a vehicle is being used on a road be maintained in efficient working order and be properly adjusted.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 21st, 2018, 6:47 pm

I'm guessing that the old thing about keeping the swept area of the windscreen clear would be the deciding factor. And arguing that you had a let-out clause "because you didn't happen to have a working wiper on your nearside at the moment" probably wouldn't cut much very ice with plod. Or with hard-line cyclists, who would have a legitimate reason to be concerned. :)

In practice, I can't see you getting more than a producer even if the plods stop you. (incredibly unlikely.) And if they do, tell them that it's just failed and you're on your way home. Don't run over any cyclists, though.

And no, this does not constitute formal advice. (Although it's what I'd do.) Failed windscreen wipers were a regular thing back ion the 1980s, and we just took them in our stride. :lol:

BJ

It seems like we are talking about one, perhaps 20 minute journey. If it is raining then I can see a problem...if not I can't see the issue.

John

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » February 22nd, 2018, 9:11 am

bungeejumper wrote: even if the plods stop you. (incredibly unlikely.)

Car driver in OP could be from an ethnic minority...

Looking at the extract from the Act, para. 6, it may be more compliant to remove the defective wiper entirely -- though of course futile if the remaining wiper does not give the required view of the road.

GS

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 22nd, 2018, 10:27 am

bungeejumper wrote:In practice, I can't see you getting more than a producer even if the plods stop you.

do "producers" exist any more? Now that everything is in a publicly accessible database (and undoubtedly the authorities have more accesses than the public)?

didds

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » February 22nd, 2018, 10:38 am

didds wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:In practice, I can't see you getting more than a producer even if the plods stop you.

do "producers" exist any more? Now that everything is in a publicly accessible database (and undoubtedly the authorities have more accesses than the public)?

didds

Based on watching realtity TV and Youtube clips ( :) ) rather than personal experience, they (HORT1 / 'producers') do still exist. I think the circumstances would be where the database shows something missing (recently run out MOT, or insurance) but the driver claims they have them and the database is wrong. You could then be given the 7 days to produce.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 22nd, 2018, 10:43 am

chas49 wrote:Based on watching realtity TV and Youtube clips ( :) ) rather than personal experience, they (HORT1 / 'producers') do still exist. I think the circumstances would be where the database shows something missing (recently run out MOT, or insurance) but the driver claims they have them and the database is wrong. You could then be given the 7 days to produce.

They also apply to driving licences. If the driver doesn't have their licence on them, then producing it at a police station would allow a check to be made against the photograph.

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 22nd, 2018, 10:56 am

didds wrote:do "producers" exist any more? Now that everything is in a publicly accessible database (and undoubtedly the authorities have more accesses than the public)?

Which reminds me. Back in the dear dead days of the 1970s, I had a motorbike stolen by some kids who rode it round a field until they got bored with falling off it. The police phoned me to say it had been found, and could I come and collect it from the pound?

When I got there, the bike had two smashed lights, terminally bent footpegs, a broken mirror and a torn-off indicator. "Got your helmet?", they said. "Just drive it home, and get it out of here, and don't have any accidents." I had to double-check that they were serious about sending me on my way with a bent bike, but they were. So, having checked that the brakes worked and that it drove in a straight line, I did.

Nowadays I'd probably have sued the [expletive deleted] off the chief constable. :lol:

BJ

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 22nd, 2018, 12:40 pm

swill453 wrote:They also apply to driving licences. If the driver doesn't have their licence on them, then producing it at a police station would allow a check to be made against the photograph.

Scott.

It has also struck now me that - for example - I was driving my wife's car a producer could be used to ensure that I was insured to drive it at the time

didds

martint123
Lemon Pip

Postby martint123 » February 24th, 2018, 9:07 pm

swill453 wrote:They also apply to driving licences. If the driver doesn't have their licence on them, then producing it at a police station would allow a check to be made against the photograph.

Scott.

Still no photo on my licence ;) the reason I don't carry it is that it was slowly disintegrating in my wallet.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » February 24th, 2018, 9:10 pm

martint123 wrote:Still no photo on my licence ;) the reason I don't carry it is that it was slowly disintegrating in my wallet.

Same here. It's now more ragged around the edges than I am ;)

--kiloran

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 25th, 2018, 8:54 am

martint123 wrote:Still no photo on my licence ;) the reason I don't carry it is that it was slowly disintegrating in my wallet.

I knew that time was up on my paper licence when I got stopped by a flic in rural France for a random roadside check. It was all going nicely at first - tyre check, lights, V5, insurance certificate, spare bulbs, fire extinguisher**, first aid kit, you name it.

And then he asked me for my licence. It collapsed into six pieces in his hands, almost totally illegible. Merde, I said. He laughed loudly and waved me off.

BJ

**Oh yes, he asked for that, though in theory it was/is optional. He also wanted to know why I hadn't got a translation of my insurance certificate. Not all of la France profonde is fully up to date with the rules.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”