Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Auto renewal - first time ever

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
robbelg
Lemon Slice

Auto renewal - first time ever

Postby robbelg » March 6th, 2018, 4:13 pm

For the first time ever I'm going to let my car insurance auto-renew.

Had the notice today so I visited the Meerkat and their best quote was £4 more.

Moneysupermarket had an offer of a saving of £12 but with a much bigger excess. ( £200 more ! )

and a quote from my existing insurer for £4 more than my renewal.

For completeness - This year is £10 more than last year.

Rob

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Auto renewal - first time ever

Postby PinkDalek » March 6th, 2018, 4:35 pm

robbelg wrote:... For completeness - This year is £10 more than last year. ...

Would that be due to the increase in IPT?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 8th, 2018, 2:56 pm

There's a first time for everything, but maybe the insurance companies are just getting a bit more streetwise?

The last two insurance companies we've used have been competitive for the first year, then only £5-10 more for the second year (i.e. not worth the hassle of switching). And then they hit you really hard on the third year's premiums.

It's a suckering technique that's been working for poker players ever since card games were first invented. Let the dope win a few rounds first, and then hit him when he starts to think you like him. :twisted:

BJ

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » March 8th, 2018, 4:58 pm

I too have auto renewed this year, the first time for as long as I can remember.

I have tended to alternate between Aviva and LV in recent years, which has been quite profitable because Aviva have offered up to seventy pounds cashback via Quidco.

I tried a few comparison sites a month or so before my renewal, to get a taste for how much my renewal might be, and a figure of around £160 seemed about the base figure (I only consider ones with a reasonable reputation, so there might well be cheaper out there). So when Aviva quoted £145 it wasn't a difficult decision...

I'm on a roll at the moment, having just got Sky to reduce my monthly bill by over 35% I've just got to get my broadband under control and that's the lot :-)

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”