Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Dacia Logan

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
wheypat
Lemon Slice

Dacia Logan

Postby wheypat » March 23rd, 2018, 11:58 am

My volvo has come to the end of it's life and it's going to be replaced. I'm thinking of a Dacia Logan - for around £12K I can get a brand new one, where as for the same money I can get a 2-3ish year old Volvo, Audi equivalent. I'm not badge conscious and I'm taking it for a test drive next week.

Has anyone got anything from the Dacia range? Any feedback, good or bad, would be welcome.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Dacia Logan

Postby bungeejumper » March 23rd, 2018, 12:30 pm

wheypat wrote:My volvo has come to the end of it's life and it's going to be replaced. I'm thinking of a Dacia Logan - for around £12K I can get a brand new one, where as for the same money I can get a 2-3ish year old Volvo, Audi equivalent. I'm not badge conscious and I'm taking it for a test drive next week.

Has anyone got anything from the Dacia range? Any feedback, good or bad, would be welcome.

Basically, they're old Renault models. You see a lot of them in France. (The SUV estates are also called Lodgys, for some reason.) If your French is up to it, maybe try scanning the reviews?

The thing to remember is that you're always paying £3K minimum to the dealer when you buy even a cheap new car. So what are you getting for the rest of the money? I'd always rather have a two year old VW than a brand new East European jobby, but that's just me.

Let's try attacking this question from a different direction. Have you tried keying in a £12,000 budget on Autotrader? You might be surprised at what comes up. I paid just £10,500 (half the forecourt new price) for an 18 month old Toyota Auris estate, an up-range model with all the toys (and a huge boot), just because it happened to have an above-average 30K on the clock. And that was from a Toyota main dealer with 3.5 years of the original 5 year warranty still to run.

I could have done a lot worse!

BJ

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » March 23rd, 2018, 1:20 pm

I will watch this thread with interest.

I've always been a bit biased against French cars because of a perceived unreliability, especially on the electrical side, and the Dacia is a budget Renault, albeit not made in France.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 23rd, 2018, 7:01 pm

Another consideration if you're intending to change it down the line is how much a 4 or 5 year old Dacia is worth compared to a 6 or 7 year old Audi/Volvo/etc.

Paul

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Postby scottnsilky » March 23rd, 2018, 7:46 pm

Honest John, yes, a bit of a cheesy name, deliberate, I think, who writes in the Saturday Daily Telegraph, or did, a few years ago, has a website with an enormous amount of information on every car imaginable.[url]

honestjohn.co.uk
[/url]

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Postby wheypat » March 26th, 2018, 8:44 am

I went and had a look at it at the weekend. They are no lookers and pretty basic - but on the top end models you get a reversing camera, parking sensors, heated wing mirrors, DAB radio, touch screen controls, sat nav, air con and a few other toys. No climate control.

Test drive is on Wednesday, I will report back then after having had a drive.

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » March 26th, 2018, 11:47 am

Lived in France for a long while. We owned a Sandero, several friends owned Logans . They are tough and basic. Fuel economy is average. (Petrol) However in France extremely cheap to run and maintain, Renault garages keep all the bits. Insurance rock bottom price. 110 Euro a year fully comp. Would continue to own one here but insurance and car tax pushes the cost of running one higher.

The most popular diesel options are likely to be clobbered.

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Postby wheypat » March 28th, 2018, 11:59 am

Back from the test drive. It's surprisingly nippy considering the 900cc engine. Reasonably comfortable, not unpleasant cabin (if spartan). So it's definitely under consideration - it will all boil down to a brand new car of a second hand audi/vw/volvo. Regardless it will come from a dealer as I know nothing about cars.

I am tending to the Logan though - 3 year warranty, 2 free services, 3 years AA membership vs. 3 year old car, 3 to 6 month warranty.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » March 28th, 2018, 1:14 pm

wheypat wrote:Back from the test drive. It's surprisingly nippy considering the 900cc engine. Reasonably comfortable, not unpleasant cabin (if spartan). So it's definitely under consideration - it will all boil down to a brand new car of a second hand audi/vw/volvo. Regardless it will come from a dealer as I know nothing about cars.

I am tending to the Logan though - 3 year warranty, 2 free services, 3 years AA membership vs. 3 year old car, 3 to 6 month warranty.

3 years warranty does not seem good to me, when you can get a Kia with 7 and Hyundai with 5 year warranties (I might be out of date there, it is a while since I looked). Personally I would spend the money on a used car (c.3 year old) from a reasonable dealer, which carries the remainder of a manufacturer's long warranty, or at least with some come back against the dealer.

UncleZen

Postby UncleZen » March 28th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Dacia is a budget Renault, and Renault is already a budget brand. Need I say more?
I think its common knowledge amonge reasonably intelligent people that you should avoid French cars wherever possible.
Once bitten...

Imbiber
2 Lemon pips

Postby Imbiber » March 28th, 2018, 5:45 pm

I bought a Citroen BX19 GTi, three years old 30,000 miles, had it for eight years. Sold it at 120,000 miles. One breakdown, ignition module, about £300 pounds. No other costs apart from servicing and routine items. Lovely car.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 28th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Imbiber wrote:I bought a Citroen BX19 GTi, three years old 30,000 miles, had it for eight years. Sold it at 120,000 miles. One breakdown, ignition module, about £300 pounds. No other costs apart from servicing and routine items. Lovely car.

Seconded. I had my Citroen Xantia for ten years/120,000 miles from new. Apart from a water pump that failed during the run-in period, it never gave me any probs at all. (Except for the time when the missus boggered the ignition lock with a bent key, and you can't exactly blame the car for that. :lol: )

Daughter had a bomb-proof diesel Pug 105 that topped 220,000 miles and still fetched £500 at trade-in. Both daughters had ancient Pug 205s for their first cars, and both of them bashed them, but they kept on going cos they were so simple. Peugeot gearboxes were fitted into Ford cars for years and nobody noticed. But yes, some French cars did had a bad rep for electrical probs. You had to be sure not to buy a Friday motor.

My only experience with a Renault (a 5) was 42 years ago. And yes, it was actually a bit of a dog, having been built during a major strike by using whatever parts the manufacturers had to hand. Non-standard everything! But again, that would have no real bearing on a modern-day Renault, of course.

The question of whether you'd do better with a two year old Volvo/Audi is still going to hang around, though. It's worth remembering that the price of an extended warranty is around £300 a year. Which seems cheap enough to perhaps shift the calcs a little bit?

BJ

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » March 28th, 2018, 9:09 pm

Daughter-in-Law's father bought a Dacia. He found it difficult to insure as a few reputable companies wouldn't touch the brand.

Finally he had a smallish smash and the car was written off because the repair cost was un-economical given the value of a, by then, 2 year old Dacia.

I guess they have a place in the market or they wouldn't still be selling them.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » May 19th, 2018, 9:14 pm

staffordian wrote:I will watch this thread with interest. I've always been a bit biased against French cars because of a perceived unreliability, especially on the electrical side, and the Dacia is a budget Renault, albeit not made in France.

Apparently it's made in Romania - out of le frying pan into the fire?

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”