Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Modern Headlights

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Re: Modern Headlights

Postby MonsterMork » November 6th, 2018, 6:35 pm

bungeejumper wrote:It's simply a lie that HIDs are self-levelling.
BJ

Correct. The number of vehicles I MoT that have the levelling selector set to the shortest possible beam distance is ridiculous - it would seem that most drivers think the control is a brightness setting :shock: Section 4.1.5 is the relevant part of the MoT manual:

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/ ... pment.html

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 10th, 2024, 7:29 pm

Rise in drivers being dazzled by headlights: RAC blames brighter LEDs and more SUVs

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-12942101/Rise-drivers-dazzled-headlights-RAC-blames-brighter-LEDs-SUVs.html

Four in five motorists say the problem of dazzling is getting worse each year
Three quarters of drivers say they are regularly blinded by other car lights
Cheap aftermarket LED bulbs and failure to adjust lights have also been blamed

"Drivers are becoming more concerned about the dangers of other motorists dazzling them with their headlights, which could potentially spark a rise in accidents on the road, according to a new report.

The majority of drivers - 85 per cent - say they have been partially blinded by the glare of bright headlights and believe the problem is becoming worse, according to an independent survey by the RAC.

Of 2,000 UK licence holders quizzed by the motoring group, 89 per cent think at least some headlights fitted to cars are too bright, of which three in 10 – a higher proportion than ever – think most are.

The RAC says there could be a number of reasons for why dazzling is becoming an increased problem, blaming the latest blue-tint LED bulbs, drivers failing to adjust their headlights and the rise in SUV ownership.
"

Uh, huh...

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 10th, 2024, 7:46 pm

I am also sure it's getting worse - or at least, I know I try to avoid driving at night due to dazzle. Being a bit slow on the uptake, I hadn't realised these were a new style of light - that explains at least part of it.

There could be an "age thing" to. I can remember being quite amused because my older relative - uncles, etc - always used to want to get home before dark. Now I am older, even with no oncoming lights, I would rather not be on the road. Another factor - your eyes might be perfectly OK when tested by an optician, but does an optician test that vital factor: how your eye deals with extreme contrast? Maybe this suffers with age.

PS I've just had a cataract removed, so it will be interesting to see the difference on the road at night.

Arb.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 10th, 2024, 8:14 pm

Arborbridge wrote:PS I've just had a cataract removed, so it will be interesting to see the difference on the road at night.

For me, it was a huge difference.

But even so, headlights, especially on a narrow wet road, not much fun.

I have joined the war, both our classics now have LED headlamp bulbs but I did at least buy the £100-a-pair type where the light emitters are in the same place as a standard halogen bulb so the pattern is correct. I suspect that not many drivers are prepared to lay out £100 on a pair of bulbs.

One of our classics has four headlamps so in the you dazzle me I'll dazzle you, I'm somewhat ahead.

V8

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 10th, 2024, 10:03 pm

88V8 wrote:One of our classics has four headlamps so in the you dazzle me I'll dazzle you, I'm somewhat ahead.

Those at least appear to be at a decent height!

It's the scrotes driving oversized emotional support trucks whose, even dipped, LED lights seem to hit me full on that I would like to subject to the Ludovico Technique, from A Clockwork Orange, in the hope that it might turn them in to decent folk.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » January 10th, 2024, 10:38 pm

I find myself even in daylight altering my rear view mirror to the night setting when there's one of these dazzlers behind me.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 10th, 2024, 10:44 pm

XFool wrote:"The RAC says there could be a number of reasons for why dazzling is becoming an increased problem, blaming the latest blue-tint LED bulbs, drivers failing to adjust their headlights and the rise in SUV ownership."

Or could this refer to Xenon headlights? (Which is what started this thread off years ago)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 11th, 2024, 9:03 am

XFool wrote:
XFool wrote:"The RAC says there could be a number of reasons for why dazzling is becoming an increased problem, blaming the latest blue-tint LED bulbs, drivers failing to adjust their headlights and the rise in SUV ownership."

Or could this refer to Xenon headlights? (Which is what started this thread off years ago)

True of both,I'm sure. One difference is that proper Xenons used to require a brick-sized thingummy on the back of each headlight, that was often so large that it wouldn't fit the front bulkhead. (So people cheated by using the illegal variety. And accidentally forgot about the wash/wipe and self-levelling requirement. :| )

Whereas LED bulbs are really not much larger than the old halogens,which means that any oik with £30 to spare can change them. Without thinking, or perhaps caring, whether the scatter from their differently located light source might get a dangerously different result from the reflector on the front (whoops, back) of their headlamp units. (Which they also forget to change.)

The glare problem is getting very bad on our local country lanes, especially after closing time. Fortunately, many of the perpetrators have had the courtesy to turn one headlamp off, thus halving the blinder factor. :twisted:

BJ

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » January 11th, 2024, 1:39 pm

I agree with previous comments about disliking night driving because of more dazzling headlights. To which I would add there being more cars and lorries on the roads at night, and the cars being wider than years ago, plus the preference for black, dark grey and other drab colours which do not show up much after dark. I also note pedestrians and cyclists (and electric scooter riders) frequently dress in black and dark grey, and are almost invisible. There used to be advertising campaigns on TV years ago asking pedestrians and cyclists to wear white or reflective clothing at night. What happened to them?

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”