Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Penalty Charge Notice

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Geoman

Penalty Charge Notice

Postby Geoman » November 29th, 2016, 2:14 pm

Well I wish my first post here was on a happier note.

I've had my first experience of a PCN today. I attended a conference as a volunteer for a charity, at a location I have never been before, got lost and at some point strayed in to a bus lane. Of course there was an ANPR camera and I will now be donating £30 to council coffers.

I don't deny the fact as there is a picture of my car, but on trying to speak with an actual human being, I found out that there is no such thing. Just an automated system to take my money. I also have no grounds to appeal. Not for a first offence, or being completely lost on unfamiliar roads. If I did beg for leniency I risk running out of time to pay and doubling the fine.

The PCN is not something I have experience of as I live in a rural area and rarely stray in to the city. I've always ignored the news stories about the money generating abilities of CCTV, but now I beginning to understand what is happening here. I wasn't deliberately causing an obstruction but made an honest mistake. And for a simple mistake, the council will happily take £30 from me.

I'm sure that £30 will be well spent on improving the awful state of the roads I travelled on that day!

Geoman

Re: Penalty Charge Notice

Postby Geoman » November 29th, 2016, 2:31 pm

Actually I have just had a bit of a giggle. I finally found a website page where I could make an appeal for leniency.

However, The response to my appeal can take (and I'm sure will take) 56 days. In 18 days the fine will double to £60.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 29th, 2016, 2:53 pm

I believe (and you should confirm this before relying on it) that if this is a proper PCN (as it sounds from your description!), if you submit an informal challenge through the proper channels, the discount clock is paused until the appeal has been heard.

As an example, this site says:

Newham Council wrote:By law we must respond within 56 days of receiving your appeal. Unfortunately we will not be able to send you an acknowledgement to confirm that we have received your appeal.

If your informal challenge is accepted, we will write to you to tell you that you do not have to pay anything.

If we reject the challenge we'll write to you and tell you how to pay or how to appeal.

If you sent your informal challenge within 14 days, you will be re-offered the discount amount for 14 days from the date of our letter.
Last edited by chas49 on November 29th, 2016, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyGagarin
2 Lemon pips

Postby LadyGagarin » November 29th, 2016, 2:53 pm

Usually if you lodge an appeal in time, even if it is ultimately rejected, you get an extension of time before the fine is increased.

BT63
Lemon Slice

Postby BT63 » November 29th, 2016, 4:12 pm

When I drove my wife to hospital to give birth, I parked outside the maternity unit in a limited-waiting-time space.
Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons I never got a chance to go back to move the car. I got a FPN.
I just took it on the chin and paid up - and due to a complicated birth involving both wife and son staying in hospital for a week, I was too busy to care about the damned FPN.

Geoman

Postby Geoman » December 12th, 2016, 2:44 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

Unfortunately the PCN clearly states that "during consideration of your representation the discount period is not put on hold"

Although I did make a representation for leniency (first offence, traveling as a volunteer for a charity), today was the last day of the discount period and unsurprisingly, I have heard nothing.

So it was a gamble - rely on leniency from the council and face a £60 charge, or cough up £30 now. I chose the latter :-)

Oh well, time to move on. AND to remember what bus lanes look like! :-)

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Re: Unlawful Penalty Charge Notice - Legally where do I stand?

Postby GoSeigen » July 12th, 2018, 11:35 am

katkaland wrote:Hello Lovely Helpers,
Where do I stand legally?

I went on a business trip to Nottingham [...]

This is a stale thread. Please repost on your own new thread in this forum. I'm sure posters here will help.

GS

katkaland

Postby katkaland » July 12th, 2018, 11:47 am

Hi GS, I have been searching on screen for a "new post" or "create a new post or thread" button but it is nowhere to be found. Where can I create a new post? I wonder if something is missing from my screen. Thanks.

katkaland

Re: Penalty Charge Notice - Where do I stand legally?

Postby katkaland » July 12th, 2018, 11:52 am

Hi GS, In FAQ I see it explained, to create a new post to click "New Topic" there is no such as "New Topic" on my screen. Hence I posted here in PCN in the hope that somebody may be able to help with my PCN. Thanks.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 12th, 2018, 11:54 am

katkaland wrote:Hi GS, I have been searching on screen for a "new post" or "create a new post or thread" button but it is nowhere to be found. Where can I create a new post? I wonder if something is missing from my screen. Thanks.

Moderator Message:
Redsturgeon: I will move your post to the legal issues board where I am sure you will receive advice

katkaland

Postby katkaland » July 12th, 2018, 11:57 am

Hello Redsturgeon, Thank you very much. How can I get a notification of a reply or what link can I follow up the thread in the legal section? Thaks.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 12th, 2018, 12:02 pm

katkaland wrote:Hello Redsturgeon, Thank you very much. How can I get a notification of a reply or what link can I follow up the thread in the legal section? Thaks.

The post is now here, all responses over there please.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12609

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”