Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Spielberg moment

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Spielberg moment

Postby bungeejumper » June 21st, 2018, 9:13 pm

You remember the monstrous killer truck in Spielberg's Duel? Had a small taste of that last week on the M23 near Gatwick.

I was in the third lane, overtaking a lorry that had pulled out in front of me, and suddenly in the rear view mirror, up came a BMW 5 or 7 series of some sort, scruffy, no bumpers, numberplate wedged on the dash, and doing (I'd say) well over 100 mph. And he obviously thought I shouldn't be on "his" road. Tailgated me ridiculously closely (and I was doing an indicated 80). Well all right, I'm a big boy and that sort of thing doesn't normally spoil my day.

So I finished my overtake and moved over. And as he passed me, he veered at full speed into my lane, as if to deliberately side-swipe me. I took evasive action. Then he carved me up, swinging right across my bonnet, and braked hard. Jeezus! I admit that I gave him the full horn and headlights, which might not have been a very sensible thing to do. (Is Kenneth Noye out of prison yet? :? )

No matter. Fortunately he floored it, and he was gone in a cloud of black smoke. At which point I noticed that he had no rear numberplate at all. Which got me thinking. Even if I'd had a dashcam, I don't suppose the plod could have done anything with it, could they?

Anyway, the wife stopped screaming after a few seconds, and we resumed our journey. Won't forget that one. :(

BJ

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Spielberg moment

Postby PinkDalek » June 21st, 2018, 9:20 pm

Sounds frightening however big a boy you are.

Wasn’t it possible for your wife to phone 999 and report an attempted “whatever” is needed to permit such a call? Surely someone can see this dangerous and aggressive driving on one of those live CCTV thingummies. With or without visible number plates.

They enjoy a safe chase, if those cop progs are anything to go by.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 21st, 2018, 9:44 pm

If it was on the M23 it was almost certainly on CCTV, so they might be able to trace it.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » June 21st, 2018, 9:46 pm

Funny that it nearly always involves a BMW when someone is driving dangerously.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”