Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

BP sign

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

BP sign

Postby Clitheroekid » May 2nd, 2018, 2:09 pm

When I was filling up at my local BP station this morning (shareholder loyalty!) I saw that new signs had been tacked on to the pumps saying `Please leave your phone in the car'.

There was no explanation for this, and when I asked the guy serving me he couldn't elucidate.

I remember that when mobile phones first became commonplace there was what I'd always believed to be an urban myth that they could somehow create a spark and blow the entire filling station into kingdom come, but I thought that myth (if such it was) had been debunked many moons ago.

With some smartphones costing £1,000, and often being used for payment, I can't imagine that anyone is going to take the slightest notice of these signs, but can anyone explain what they're doing there in the first place?

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: BP sign

Postby richlist » May 2nd, 2018, 3:44 pm

Perhaps they have a local who wants to lift them whilst your in the office paying for the fuel. Hardly anyone locks their cars in this situation.

I've always been told NOT to leave a phone or valuables in the car.......and I have no intention of doing otherwise.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 2nd, 2018, 4:31 pm

This is the official line

http://www.ukpia.com/industry_issues/he ... ourts.aspx

Two problems.

1. Although no fire has ever been shown to have been started by a phone at a fuel station, the fact is that mobile phones are not officially certified as safe for use with volatile flammable substances.

2. A phone is a extra distraction that could cause accidents.

They say it is fine to use the phone within the car at a fuel station and take inside the shop with you.

John

Imbiber
2 Lemon pips

Postby Imbiber » May 3rd, 2018, 7:01 am

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 3rd, 2018, 8:30 am

Dunno about theft, I just lock the car while I'm going inside to pay. Doesn't everyone?

IIRC, the original hoo-hah about mobile phones was about the idea that they could interfere with the operation of the pumps - or, more specifically, the measurement systems that told the kiosk how much petrol you'd bought. I doubt that anybody ever did reduce his fuel bill by winding back the clock on the pump, but it was considered to be a possibility. Once........ ;)

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”