Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

BP sign

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

BP sign

Postby Clitheroekid » May 2nd, 2018, 2:09 pm

When I was filling up at my local BP station this morning (shareholder loyalty!) I saw that new signs had been tacked on to the pumps saying `Please leave your phone in the car'.

There was no explanation for this, and when I asked the guy serving me he couldn't elucidate.

I remember that when mobile phones first became commonplace there was what I'd always believed to be an urban myth that they could somehow create a spark and blow the entire filling station into kingdom come, but I thought that myth (if such it was) had been debunked many moons ago.

With some smartphones costing £1,000, and often being used for payment, I can't imagine that anyone is going to take the slightest notice of these signs, but can anyone explain what they're doing there in the first place?

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: BP sign

Postby richlist » May 2nd, 2018, 3:44 pm

Perhaps they have a local who wants to lift them whilst your in the office paying for the fuel. Hardly anyone locks their cars in this situation.

I've always been told NOT to leave a phone or valuables in the car.......and I have no intention of doing otherwise.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 2nd, 2018, 4:31 pm

This is the official line

http://www.ukpia.com/industry_issues/he ... ourts.aspx

Two problems.

1. Although no fire has ever been shown to have been started by a phone at a fuel station, the fact is that mobile phones are not officially certified as safe for use with volatile flammable substances.

2. A phone is a extra distraction that could cause accidents.

They say it is fine to use the phone within the car at a fuel station and take inside the shop with you.

John

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » May 3rd, 2018, 7:01 am

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 3rd, 2018, 8:30 am

Dunno about theft, I just lock the car while I'm going inside to pay. Doesn't everyone?

IIRC, the original hoo-hah about mobile phones was about the idea that they could interfere with the operation of the pumps - or, more specifically, the measurement systems that told the kiosk how much petrol you'd bought. I doubt that anybody ever did reduce his fuel bill by winding back the clock on the pump, but it was considered to be a possibility. Once........ ;)

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”