Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Crossroads with all roads ‘Ahead-Only’

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Crossroads with all roads ‘Ahead-Only’

Postby MyNameIsUrl » May 4th, 2018, 9:17 am

Does anyone know of any junctions which are crossroads with all four directions being ‘Ahead Only’? Turning left or right is prohibited by signs on the approach from each of the four directions. There are no physical barriers to turning, just the signs.

I’m interested to find out if such things exist - and how well they work - as one is proposed to be built near where I live.

The background is that a new housing/industrial estate is to be built on both sides of an existing minor country road. The estate will have a new access point onto a nearby main road. The minor country road (and its junctions further along) cannot handle the new traffic. The intention therefore is to restrict the new traffic to a new access road, from the new main road junction, cutting across the country lane. The existing country lane traffic will similarly be restricted from entering the new estate. The developers are proposing this unusual crossroads as a solution to potential problems with heavy new traffic taking shortcuts through small lanes and junctions. I’m concerned as to how well it will work in practice.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Crossroads with all roads ‘Ahead-Only’

Postby Alaric » May 4th, 2018, 9:30 am

MyNameIsUrl wrote:Does anyone know of any junctions which are crossroads with all four directions being ‘Ahead Only’? Turning left or right is prohibited by signs on the approach from each of the four directions. There are no physical barriers to turning, just the signs.

I’m interested to find out if such things exist - and how well they work - as one is proposed to be built near where I live.

In High Wycombe, the junction of Cressex Road with Cressex Link and Corporation Road is of this form. The intention is so that traffic to and from the Industrial Estate (Corporation Road) uses John Hall Way instead of Cressex Road. Logically it's the equivalent of an overpass or underpass. More regular users would know how well or badly it works in practice.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=48 ... 91555&lm=0

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » May 4th, 2018, 10:40 am

Alaric wrote:In High Wycombe, the junction of Cressex Road with Cressex Link and Corporation Road is of this form. The intention is so that traffic to and from the Industrial Estate (Corporation Road) uses John Hall Way instead of Cressex Road. Logically it's the equivalent of an overpass or underpass. More regular users would know how well or badly it works in practice.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=48 ... 91555&lm=0

Thanks - yes this is the same form, in a more urban setting.

Interestingly, there are enforcement cameras here.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » May 4th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Oddly I can't get that link to do anything other than display a map. Is there a way of getting a streetview of it from that page?

My first question on the OP was "how will they enforce it?" I guess the cameras answer that question.

Paul

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » May 4th, 2018, 12:41 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
Alaric wrote:My first question on the OP was "how will they enforce it?" I guess the cameras answer that question.

It's also designed so that turning left or right is made to look difficult. Straight edge kerbs rather than rounded for example. Corner Bollards as well

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@51.6 ... .71h,5p,1z

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » May 5th, 2018, 10:04 am

DrFfybes wrote:Oddly I can't get that link to do anything other than display a map. Is there a way of getting a streetview of it from that page?

Paul

This Google Streetview shows the junction and the street furniture:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.61625 ... 6656?hl=en

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » May 5th, 2018, 1:47 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:and how well they work

If there is no enforcement any restrictions will be ignored.

For example this road - https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... d-14611356 where there were so many drivers ignoring the restrictions that the police gave up.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”