Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

New MOT tests come into force today (20th May 2018)

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Re: New MOT tests come into force today (20th May 2018)

Postby MonsterMork » May 27th, 2018, 9:55 pm

with all the new rules can you still pass an MOT with a brake light unlit or faulty?

Nope. Well, almost nope. Actually, in some cases, yes. Confused yet?! :shock:

"Stop lamps must show a steady red light.

Stop lamps aren't needed for vehicles that:

don't have front and rear position lamps
have front and rear position lamps that are permanently disconnected, painted over or masked
were first used before 1 January 1936

Vehicles first used on or after 1 January 1971 must have 2 stop lamps, one on each side.

Vehicles first used before 1 January 1971 may be fitted with only 1 stop lamp, which can be mounted centrally or towards the offside.

Additional stop lamps, over and above the mandatory requirements, must be tested.

Stop lamp(s):

with a multiple light source up to 1/2 not functioning

Minor

missing, inoperative or in the case of a multiple light source more than 1/2 not functioning

Major

all missing or inoperative

Dangerous

A lens defective:

which has no effect on emitted light

Minor

such that the emitted light is adversely affected

Major

A stop lamp:

not securely attached

Minor

likely to become detached

Major "

Surely you would have failed on a faulty brake light before the new rules.....

I refer the honourable gentleman to my initial comment above ;)

MM

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » May 27th, 2018, 10:18 pm

Oh, there is more fun and games introduced as well :roll:

Those of us of a certain age will remember the old telly adverts telling us not to mix tyres of different structure (ie: cross-ply, bias-belted and radial) either across an axle or across both axles (depending on placement), with dire warnings of imminent death or worse for those wot did.

Well it ain't so no more! You still cant have, say, a cross-ply and a radial on the same axle, but you can now mix them front to rear in any way you like :shock: What happened between the 19th and 20th of may to make mixed tyres suddenly perfectly safe I do not know :?

Got a space saver fitted? Crack on chap, get it tested, you can't fail that now. Previously we would have told the presenter to go third and divide, now we will only be able to put a manual advisory on the test sheet "Customer is a skin-flint shagwit who shouldn't be trusted with a pair of plimsoles let alone a motor car". And you can bet your tits we will be inspecting space-savers with a fine-tooth comb, cos they are now subject to all the other tyre rules like tread depth ....

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 28th, 2018, 8:42 am

MonsterMork wrote:You still cant have, say, a cross-ply and a radial on the same axle, but you can now mix them front to rear in any way you like :shock: What happened between the 19th and 20th of may to make mixed tyres suddenly perfectly safe I do not know :?

Aaah, cross-plies. Life was so much more exciting in those days. :lol:

I can't fathom the front-to-rear flexibility either. Surely it'd throw your traction control into a tizz if you started to lose it on a bend? Although, to be fair, buying a full set of four can get a tad expensive if you're thinking of switching to cross-climates, for example.

One of the most dangerous cars I ever sat in was an Astra that my mate had just bought secondhand from a dealer. Every time he braked in the wet, the car would try to mount the pavement. Nothing wrong with the brakes, the steering geometry, the tyre pressures or the tread depth. Just that one of the fronts was a "rain tyre" with a radial groove and the other was the traditional blocky type. (I got him to pester the dealer to replace one of the tyres. It solved the problem instantly.)

Don't think they let you mix and match tyre brands in France, where the MOT also says that there mustn't be an excessive discrepancy between tread depths on any one axle. It can get expensive having to change two tyres because you've got a puncture in one, but I suppose it's all in a good cause?

And you can bet your tits we will be inspecting space-savers with a fine-tooth comb, cos they are now subject to all the other tyre rules like tread depth ....

Blimey, most of them only come with about 3mm to start with. Being thin, one 50 mile use and they're probably finished.

BJ

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » May 28th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Was on my annual refresher a couple of weeks back, one of the other testers on the course mentioned that last month he had a car presented for a test with four, yes, one on each wheel, space-savers fitted!!!! This was pre change of rules, so the presenter quite rightly got told to get stuffed ....

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”