Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Random police stop

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Random police stop

Postby swill453 » June 2nd, 2018, 9:54 am

One would imagine common sense came into it. They had a vague suspicion you could be up to no good, but as soon as they stopped you and spoke to you they immediately picked up all was well.

Congratulations on not appearing like a crook.

Scott.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » June 2nd, 2018, 10:01 am

One thought just occurred to me about this. At no stage did the police ask me to identify myself let alone prove my identity. Is that odd?

No I was never asked either. Simply by stopping on request rather putting your foot flat to the floor you've started to indicate that you are probably not a fleeing criminal. A blast of alcohol or pot fumes didn't greet the police officer when you wound down your window. You were not clutching a knife and there wasn't a gun or set of housebreaking implements on the seat beside you. You didn't have long incisor teeth which were dripping blood.

tango2082

Postby tango2082 » June 3rd, 2018, 8:14 pm

redsturgeon wrote:One thought just occurred to me about this. At no stage did the police ask me to identify myself let alone prove my identity. Is that odd?

I actually could have been anyone.

John

John,

Although it seems odd, the reality is they probably decided that you are very credible and appear law abiding, and therefore of no interest to them.....

Regards
Tango

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 3rd, 2018, 8:49 pm

tango2082 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:One thought just occurred to me about this. At no stage did the police ask me to identify myself let alone prove my identity. Is that odd?

John

John,

Although it seems odd, the reality is they probably decided that you are very credible and appear law abiding, and therefore of no interest to them.....

Regards
Tango

Some of us have met him.

I think it more likely he had his pooch with him and they were dog fanciers. I was once stopped, for good reason, but had a paiir of cricket boots in my boot. They were cricketers and bid me on my way.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 3rd, 2018, 9:13 pm

tango2082 wrote:

John

John,

Regards
Tango

Damn, I was trying to rock my best "gangster" look. :D

John

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 4th, 2018, 9:17 am

Slarti wrote:... together with only starting to indicate after the lights changed, which is not normal?

Slarti

"not normal" as in many drivers dont; seem to ever bother to signal at all?

;-)

didds

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 4th, 2018, 9:41 am

didds wrote:
Slarti wrote:... together with only starting to indicate after the lights changed, which is not normal?

Isn't that one of those things that you are taught to do for the driving test, but thereafter and with experience, you just do when needed?

So for instance if there is not another vehicle in sight I probably won't bother to signal. There's no point.

Dropping down through the gears when slowing to a stop is another thing that only learner drivers do, usually.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 4th, 2018, 9:50 am

Lootman wrote:
didds wrote:

Isn't that one of those things that you are taught to do for the driving test, but thereafter and with experience, you just do when needed?

So for instance if there is not another vehicle in sight I probably won't bother to signal. There's no point.

Dropping down through the gears when slowing to a stop is another thing that only learner drivers do, usually.

I am teaching my son to drive at the moment...in conjunction with a driving instructor and I can confidently tell you that new drivers are NOT taught to drop down through the gears when stopping. I'd say that it was an older driver trait, from the time when brakes were not that good.

On the indicator thing, because I am teaching my son, I am probably thinking about my indicating more than I normally would. One situation where people generally indicate when they have no need is when moving back to a left hand lane on the motorway. The only drivers who don't do it tend to be the police. As for not indicating when no other vehicles are in sight, what about vehicles who come into view quickly. Also what about pedestrians. There are situations where it is helpful for pedestrians to know what you intent is.

John

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 4th, 2018, 9:56 am

redsturgeon wrote:I am teaching my son to drive at the moment...in conjunction with a driving instructor and I can confidently tell you that new drivers are NOT taught to drop down through the gears when stopping. I'd say that it was an older driver trait, from the time when brakes were not that good.

I always thought that the reason to drop down through the gears had less to do with using the engine as a brake (although that can be useful on steep declines), and more to do with always being in the right gear to accelerate if you suddenly need to. Doing 10 mph in 4th gear is fine as long as you don't need to quickly speed up to avoid a hazard.

Ignore that for auto gearboxes and electric cars of course.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 4th, 2018, 10:03 am

Lootman wrote:I always thought that the reason to drop down through the gears had less to do with using the engine as a brake (although that can be useful on steep declines), and more to do with always being in the right gear to accelerate if you suddenly need to. Doing 10 mph in 4th gear is fine as long as you don't need to quickly speed up to avoid a hazard.

I must admit that I am teaching that technique to my son since it is one that follows from motorcycling because of the sequential gearbox. I feel it is a bit like heel and toe changes though and possibly more useful on the race track.

John

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 4th, 2018, 11:03 am

Lootman wrote:Dropping down through the gears when slowing to a stop is another thing that only learner drivers do, usually.

Not now apparently. My young adult children that have in recent years been taught by driving instructors and passed (and my daughter trying to pass) were instructed that doing so is a fail (or at least a "minor" ) as apparently brakes are efficient these days and are cheaper to replace/renew than gear boxes...

didds

ian56
Lemon Pip

Postby ian56 » June 4th, 2018, 12:18 pm

didds wrote:Not now apparently. My young adult children that have in recent years been taught by driving instructors and passed (and my daughter trying to pass) were instructed that doing so is a fail (or at least a "minor" ) as apparently brakes are efficient these days and are cheaper to replace/renew than gear boxes...

didds

Yes, I am always a bit disconcerted when one of my offspring is driving and they change down from top gear straight to second, I always go up and down the gearbox and have done so since learning to drive in 1973-4. I don't understand the reason, personally, having never had to replace or renew a gearbox in over 40 years driving.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 4th, 2018, 4:00 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
Lootman wrote:
didds wrote:"not normal" as in many drivers dont; seem to ever bother to signal at all?

I am teaching my son to drive at the moment...in conjunction with a driving instructor and I can confidently tell you that new drivers are NOT taught to drop down through the gears when stopping. I'd say that it was an older driver trait, from the time when brakes were not that good.

On the indicator thing, because I am teaching my son, I am probably thinking about my indicating more than I normally would. One situation where people generally indicate when they have no need is when moving back to a left hand lane on the motorway. The only drivers who don't do it tend to be the police. As for not indicating when no other vehicles are in sight, what about vehicles who come into view quickly. Also what about pedestrians. There are situations where it is helpful for pedestrians to know what you intent is.

John

I have to be honest and say that I think that it is a good idea to indicate when moving back left as I was saved from an idiot who had come down a slip road at a stupid speed, only to appear in lane 1 inside the lorry I had just overtaken. It felt that the only reason he didn't pull out into me was the fact that I was indicating. Oh and I am assuming he had come on at the slip, though he may have "just" been undertaking the lorry.

My personal rule is to always indicate if I am going to manoeuvre as there could well be someone I haven't seen coming from a blind spot, be it 4 wheel, 2 wheel or pedestrian.

Slarti

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 4th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Slarti wrote:

I have to be honest and say that I think that it is a good idea to indicate when moving back left as I was saved from an idiot who had come down a slip road at a stupid speed, only to appear in lane 1 inside the lorry I had just overtaken. It felt that the only reason he didn't pull out into me was the fact that I was indicating. Oh and I am assuming he had come on at the slip, though he may have "just" been undertaking the lorry.

My personal rule is to always indicate if I am going to manoeuvre as there could well be someone I haven't seen coming from a blind spot, be it 4 wheel, 2 wheel or pedestrian.

Slarti

I wouldn't argue with that. I'd say always indicate if they is any doubt about your movements but next time you see a police car pass you on the motorway notice what they do. I understand they are taught not to indicate, if fact in my younger speedier days I used to use this as an indicator that a particular car was not an unmarked police car.

John

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » June 4th, 2018, 5:27 pm

redsturgeon wrote:On the indicator thing, because I am teaching my son, I am probably thinking about my indicating more than I normally would. One situation where people generally indicate when they have no need is when moving back to a left hand lane on the motorway. The only drivers who don't do it tend to be the police. As for not indicating when no other vehicles are in sight, what about vehicles who come into view quickly. Also what about pedestrians. There are situations where it is helpful for pedestrians to know what you intent is.

John

Do you have any source for this advice (not indicating left when moving back to a left lane..)? Highway Code 133 says:

If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and if necessary take a quick sideways glance to make sure you will not force another road user to change course or speed. When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear, move over.

It doesn't say anything about whether you#re changing to the right or left.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » June 4th, 2018, 5:33 pm

ian56 wrote: I don't understand the reason, personally, having never had to replace or renew a gearbox in over 40 years driving.

Engine management systems probably come into it as I suspect they work better when the engine isn't used as a means of slowing the car.

40 years ago, cars didn't have quite so many gears to choose from.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » June 4th, 2018, 6:53 pm

I learnt to drive 25 years ago and was never taught to move down through the gears.

My instructor had more trouble getting me to move up through the gears, frankly - I couldn't see the point of gears, they were just annoying.

Now I happily skip from 4th to 6th, 6th to 3rd, etc. I'm not sure I've ever used 5th on this car (what's it for??).

Mel

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 4th, 2018, 6:55 pm

melonfool wrote:Now I happily skip from 4th to 6th, 6th to 3rd, etc. I'm not sure I've ever used 5th on this car (what's it for??).

Mel

5th is just a spare for when you've used up 4th and 6th. :D

John

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 4th, 2018, 7:03 pm

chas49 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:On the indicator thing, because I am teaching my son, I am probably thinking about my indicating more than I normally would. One situation where people generally indicate when they have no need is when moving back to a left hand lane on the motorway. The only drivers who don't do it tend to be the police. As for not indicating when no other vehicles are in sight, what about vehicles who come into view quickly. Also what about pedestrians. There are situations where it is helpful for pedestrians to know what you intent is.

John

Do you have any source for this advice (not indicating left when moving back to a left lane..)? Highway Code 133 says:

I was taught it during advanced driving tuition 25 years ago.

The logic is that you are expected to drive to the left on motorways or multi lane roads so the car you have just overtaken should expect you to return to the left most lane. It's a bit like overtaking on a single carriageway road, would you signal after an overtake that you are returning to your side of the road.

John

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 4th, 2018, 8:44 pm

melonfool wrote:I learnt to drive 25 years ago and was never taught to move down through the gears.

45/50 years ago drivers were definitely told to change down through the gears. The idea was the same as why you change up - you have more control if you are always in the right gear for your road speed.

Of course back then there were usually only four gears, and now there are 5, 6 or more, so it would be more onerous to do now. The ratios are closer together now so there is less point. And engine torques are higher now meaning that you can pull away in a lower gear and it matters less which gear you are in.

melonfool wrote:frankly - I couldn't see the point of gears, they were just annoying.

The automotive engineering answer is that internal combustion engines only produce usable torque and power in a certain range of revs. So you need gears to ensure that your engine is in its efficient range at all road speeds.

Electric engines do not suffer from that drawback. They deliver equal torque at all speeds, so there is no need for gears.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”