Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

MOT mileage wrong

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
swill453
Lemon Half

MOT mileage wrong

Postby swill453 » June 29th, 2018, 5:54 pm

I've just come back from my local garage with a new MOT certificate, and just noticed they've entered the mileage wrong. Completely wrong - 78603 miles rather than 39481 miles.

And the garage is now closed for a fortnight for holidays.

Does anyone know if they will be able to correct this invisibly, so that there's no indication of the error on the car's record? Anything like that would look pretty dodgy to any future prospective buyer of the car from me.

(I've got incontrovertible proof of the correct mileage, the car failed its initial MOT earlier today and the fail certificate has the correct mileage. The car didn't move an inch, far less 39,000 miles.)

Scott.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: MOT mileage wrong

Postby swill453 » June 29th, 2018, 6:51 pm

Snorvey wrote:I'd take a photo and not worry about it until the garage reopens. There must be a 'fat finger' opportunity for correction.

Hopefully. I'm not even going to bother with the photo, I'd like to see them argue against their own fail certificate followed by the pass certificate with vastly different mileage.

Scott.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 29th, 2018, 7:26 pm

This https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic/ca ... corrected/ suggests they have 7 days to correct, otherwise it is down to you (that was in 2016, so maybe before the new MOT rules, if applicable). The article doesn’t say if the incorrect MOT is epunged or not but, presumably, the new/correct version will be visible.

Edit: There’s a bit extra I didn’t see about correcting the data on their database.

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » July 3rd, 2018, 10:15 pm

MY Audi has an error in its DVLA listed mileage form about six years ago prior to my ownership. Be warned that it will flag up as a problem on HPI checks. I wasn't bothered as the seller had all of the previous MOTs and it was obvious that an error had been made in transposing the figures.

I haven't bothered trying to fix it as I'll probably have the car long enough that it will be banger prices when it leaves, plus looking at some forums other people had claimed to have tried and failed to get such errors changed (which i found surprising given how commonly it probably used to occur) however while I wasn't bothered, the mere hint of an HPI error might be enough for some people to not even bothering looking any further, so on a valuable car it could be a problem if you intend to sell it at some point.

Please let us know if you manage to get it corrected

BH

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » July 4th, 2018, 9:24 am

bionichamster wrote:MY Audi has an error in its DVLA listed mileage form about six years ago prior to my ownership. Be warned that it will flag up as a problem on HPI checks. I wasn't bothered as the seller had all of the previous MOTs and it was obvious that an error had been made in transposing the figures.

I haven't bothered trying to fix it as I'll probably have the car long enough that it will be banger prices when it leaves, plus looking at some forums other people had claimed to have tried and failed to get such errors changed (which i found surprising given how commonly it probably used to occur) however while I wasn't bothered, the mere hint of an HPI error might be enough for some people to not even bothering looking any further, so on a valuable car it could be a problem if you intend to sell it at some point.

Please let us know if you manage to get it corrected

BH

Replying to BH's post referring to DVLA mileage (as opposed to the OP on MOT mileage), I had a similar problem with a car I bought showing figures under 30000 on all the documents, MOTs, service records etc except for a single rogue figure of 74000 which showed on the HPI check.

An email to DVLA, followed by a completed form V888 (fee £5), resulted in a copy of the V5 slip being sent to me which clearly showed sloppy handwriting (24000 looked like 74000) had resulted in miskeying. I then requested they change their records, and they confirmed they had also sent the correct figure to the four mileage collection companies.

I thought it worthwhile chasing - as you say, the hint of anything amiss on an HPI check will put some people off.

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » July 5th, 2018, 11:19 am

MyNameIsUrl wrote:[
Replying to BH's post referring to DVLA mileage (as opposed to the OP on MOT mileage), I had a similar problem with a car I bought showing figures under 30000 on all the documents, MOTs, service records etc except for a single rogue figure of 74000 which showed on the HPI check.

An email to DVLA, followed by a completed form V888 (fee £5), resulted in a copy of the V5 slip being sent to me which clearly showed sloppy handwriting (24000 looked like 74000) had resulted in miskeying. I then requested they change their records, and they confirmed they had also sent the correct figure to the four mileage collection companies.

I thought it worthwhile chasing - as you say, the hint of anything amiss on an HPI check will put some people off.

I suspected there would be a procedure; perhaps one day when I have nothing else to do I might give it a go.

Although, don't the DVLA's mileage records come from the MOTs? (I had assumed that DVLA are the source of figures used in an HPI check)

Cheers

BH

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » July 5th, 2018, 3:03 pm

bionichamster wrote:Although, don't the DVLA's mileage records come from the MOTs? (I had assumed that DVLA are the source of figures used in an HPI check)

DVLA send mileage figures every day to four companies - HPI, Vehicle Mileage Check, Law Data, and CDL Vehicle Information Service Ltd. Part of the data sent is voluntarily-notified recorded mileage on changes of ownership forms, which are the small slips which can be torn along the perforations from the V5 document.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 5th, 2018, 3:15 pm

PinkDalek wrote:This https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic/ca ... corrected/ suggests they have 7 days to correct, otherwise it is down to you (that was in 2016, so maybe before the new MOT rules, if applicable). The article doesn’t say if the incorrect MOT is epunged or not but, presumably, the new/correct version will be visible.

I emailed enquiries@dvsa.gov.uk, and they got back to me with:

"The garage are [sic] can amend a certificate with altered details of odometer readings provided they do this within 28 calendar days of the test."

So I guess I will be in touch with them after their holiday closure.

Scott.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 5th, 2018, 3:18 pm

I suppose they didn't say that the incorrect reading/the original MOT will no longer appear on the database.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 5th, 2018, 3:23 pm

PinkDalek wrote:I suppose they didn't say that the incorrect reading/the original MOT will no longer appear on the database.

No they didn't.

Scott.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 26th, 2018, 8:54 am

Just to follow this up. The garage has corrected the mileage on the system, and there is no visible evidence on the MOT history site that it was ever wrong.

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 26th, 2018, 9:18 am

Result! Thanks for that.

BJ

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » July 26th, 2018, 9:53 am

A poster who actually provides feedback.Thank you.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”