Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Maseratis

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Maseratis

Postby redsturgeon » July 12th, 2018, 1:31 pm

I wouldn't touch one myself but I have a friend who seems to have set his heart on owning one, I use the word "own" rather the "drive" deliberately since I imagine it will probably spend most of the time in the garage (either his or the dealers).

I have tried to put him off the idea but he seems adamant so as a good friend I am looking for any tips that might make his dream a little less painful.

Any ideas of the best second hand model to look out for?

What to avoid at all costs?

His budget is in the teens I guess.

John

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Maseratis

Postby DrFfybes » July 12th, 2018, 10:03 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
What to avoid at all costs?

His budget is in the teens I guess.

John

I did 130 miles in mine yesterday after some bugger took the van I'd booked at work - there are worse ways to spend a day than being paid to drive a Maserati around North Devon. The downside is the 45p/mile I got didn't leave much after the £40+ I used in fuel.

Realistically for that price he's looking at a 4200 coupe or a pretty early Quattroporte, unless he's really brave and gets an 80s one. The 3200s are a rush to drive but a little more fragile. The QPs are huge, and some of the gearbox options are best avoided.

Running costs (apart from fuel) are on a part with similar German offerings - S Class or CL Merc, BMW 7 Series, Audi A8, and if you actually drive them instead of leaving them for weeks at a time they are pretty reliable. Parts are expensive, but you expect that, and breakers parts aren't overly common.

His best bet is to go to Sportsmaserati forum and ask over there. Buy the car on condition, not mileage, and get it inspected.

I do about 4k/year in my Coupe, a bit less in the Z4M and 6k ish in the Toyota (although that is down to mum having a friend and I can't get both in the Maserati.) Cost for this has been about £1500/year in repairs and servicing, plus fuel and tyres. The often decried clutch was at 5% worn when I bought mine, and is 35% worn after 17000 miles.

It has probably lost about £5k in value in 5 years.

If he was to spend a similar amount on a Mondeo the depreciation would cover the running costs.

http://images.pistonheads.com/nimg/2993 ... l_08-L.jpg

Paul

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Re: Maseratis

Postby Sobraon » July 12th, 2018, 10:08 pm

I had a very close look at a couple of used diesel Ghiblis in the spring. Lovely cars and Mrs S certainly approved.

Assuming we are talking modern Maserati then money wise 'teens' is going to be a bit of a stretch but possible. There is a 2014 model at 35500 miles with full service history on Autotrader with 16 months warranty advertised at £21k. There is a 2016 at 25k miles at £26500 so will have another year’s Maserati warranty (which I understand is extendible).

In the end my head ruled and I got a 5 series BMW. This was mainly because my nearest Maserati dealer is 55 miles away and BMW dealer is 10. Secondly, I do some work in a city in the North and a Maserati would very likely get ‘keyed’ (IMHO). When I eventually retire (full time) I will look again.

Of course your friend may be looking at the other end of the price spectrum to me (e.g. 2018 Grancabrio at £129,000).

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”