Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Accidents up???

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Accidents up???

Postby DrFfybes » July 12th, 2018, 4:13 pm

I've not seen anything about the year so far, but anecdotally there seems to be a large increase in RTAs.

As part of my job I deal with damage to Streetlights and Traffic Signals for the County, and normally we get 15 or so signal 'knock downs' in a year. So far this calendar year we have had over 20.

Streetlights also seem to be coming in for a bit of a bashing despite being moved further back from the road where feasible, with 3 last Friday afternoon alone and another handful since.

A large number of these are delivery/commercial vehicles, and I wonder if the rise in Home Delivery/mail order is meaning a lot more vans driven by relatively inexperienced drivers in a hurry.

It used to be the elderly you had to be careful of down here ;)

Paul.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Re: Accidents up???

Postby UncleIan » July 12th, 2018, 4:29 pm

DrFfybes wrote:As part of my job I deal with damage to Streetlights and Traffic Signals for the County, and normally we get 15 or so signal 'knock downs' in a year. So far this calendar year we have had over 20.

A large number of these are delivery/commercial vehicles, and I wonder if the rise in Home Delivery/mail order is meaning a lot more vans driven by relatively inexperienced drivers in a hurry.

There's a low bridge near us, okay for most small lorries, but must HGVs with a full size container or a higher roof don't fit by a small margin, so it's not *obviously* really low, but is still too low for some things, all the height markers are there, and warning signs, and I think a sensor that lights up and says "you're too high!".

Anecdotally it seems it's being hit more than ever, or in one direction, even if not hit, the lorry driving then has a tricky reverse made even harder/impossible by the queue of angry car drivers behind them. Of course, it might be just posted on social media now, so you hear about it more, but that's how it seems.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”