Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Cycle Rack for 5

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
StepOne
Lemon Slice

Cycle Rack for 5

Postby StepOne » July 31st, 2018, 11:08 am

Hi,

Wasn't sure whether to post on cycling board, but this one seems a bit busier, so here goes.

Looking for recommendations for a cycle rack that can carry 5 bikes. Can't decided whether to go for one of the towbar mounted ones, or whether I would be better off to bit the bullet and get a trailer. Any suggestions, or things I should look out for?

Thanks,
StepOne

Moderator Message:
RS: I put a link from the cycling board to here for you.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Cycle Rack for 5

Postby redsturgeon » July 31st, 2018, 11:40 am

StepOne wrote:Hi,

Wasn't sure whether to post on cycling board, but this one seems a bit busier, so here goes.

Looking for recommendations for a cycle rack that can carry 5 bikes. Can't decided whether to go for one of the towbar mounted ones, or whether I would be better off to bit the bullet and get a trailer. Any suggestions, or things I should look out for?

Thanks,
StepOne

Moderator Message:
RS: I put a link from the cycling board to here for you.

I guess I'd need a lot of convincing that a trailer would be worth getting.

Do you need the trailer for other stuff? If so then worth considering.

Have you thought of a roof rack system?

Do you already have a tow bar fitted?

John

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » July 31st, 2018, 1:20 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Do you need the trailer for other stuff? If so then worth considering.

Have you thought of a roof rack system?

Do you already have a tow bar fitted?

John

No, the trailer would be for bikes only.

We had roof bars on our previous car with holders for two bikes, with three kids bikes on a basic strap-mounted rack. Getting the bikes on and off the roof is not that easy, and would surely be worse with 5 of them. Especially as the kids, and their bikes, keep getting bigger!

We don't currently have a tow bar, so I would need to get one. I thought that the choice of bike rack might influence the kind of tow bar I would need, so I wanted to get advice on the rack/trailer choice first.

StepOne

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » July 31st, 2018, 3:30 pm

roofbox.co.uk are a good supplier and have a lot of good info.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » July 31st, 2018, 5:08 pm

StepOne wrote:Hi,

Thanks,
StepOne

5 bikes is a big ask for a towbar. I've used Witter happily - https://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/bike-racks - but they don't do a 5 bike rack. What do your existing bikes weigh, because that may determine whether you can get them on a rack rather than a trailer ( or provide a reason to upgrade the bikes ).

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » August 3rd, 2018, 1:34 pm

Your car handbook will specify the maximum weight you can put on the towbar.

From the Witter website:
What is the maximum ‘nose load’ I can use?
The vehicle manufacturers should (legally) specify the maximum 'nose load' in the vehicle handbook, possibly using the technical terminology 'maximum static vertical load on towball', or a similar description. This may vary for different models in the range and if there is any doubt it is essential to contact the vehicle manufacturer.

https://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/faqs/nose-load-faqs

Remember to include both the weight of the rack and the bikes, as well as any covers or accessories (locks, panniers etc.) that would normally go with the bikes. Towing with the maximum nose weight can be a bit weird depending on the road (bumps, holes etc) and is something I avoid in my own car (not a 4x4, so YMMV).

Once you know the weight limit for the towbar, you then need to consider the weight limit of the rack itself, which may be more constraining.

Not sure if you've come across this in your search, but it might meet your needs: http://www.bicyclerack-mottez.com/artic ... d=0&rid=14 You may have to sell your youngest in order to pay for it though :twisted:

VRD

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”