Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Tyres

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tyres

Postby Slarti » August 16th, 2018, 4:10 pm

Watis wrote:I would agree if you're thinking of those black rubber bands you see on souped-up cars.

But I think all modern tyres are low profile in the sense that they are less than 100% and I was thinking of 65% or 75% which are typical ratios these days.

I think the 65/75 range is normal, and is only a lower % because tyres of old were much narrower that normal tyres are today.

I've driven 2 cars with black rubber bands and neither was a souped up car. Far from it.
I've also been a passenger in a couple that were trying to give the impression of souped up, and all were horrible.

Slarti

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 18th, 2018, 10:04 pm

Slarti wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:The connector should be a simple "cigarette lighter" fitting - same as on any in-car charger.

If it doesn't go in easily it is either the wrong plug or the wrong hole.

The one on my Ring compressor doesn't go in, or come out, easily. Mrs S can't use it as she no longer has the necessary strength of hand.

You drive a Toyota, I believe? Jammed-in adapter plugs are a known problem with every Toyota model from the Aygo and the Prius to the Lexus saloons. (And also on some Mazdas, I think.) My Auris currently has a TomTom plug that won't come out of the socket no matter what I do, and I'm going to ask my garage to remove it at the next upcoming service. I gather that Toyota mechanics have got the job down to a fine art, and that it takes only seconds if only you've got the confidence to use enough force.

BJ

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » August 19th, 2018, 1:17 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Slarti wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:The connector should be a simple "cigarette lighter" fitting - same as on any in-car charger.

If it doesn't go in easily it is either the wrong plug or the wrong hole.

The one on my Ring compressor doesn't go in, or come out, easily. Mrs S can't use it as she no longer has the necessary strength of hand.

You drive a Toyota, I believe? Jammed-in adapter plugs are a known problem with every Toyota model from the Aygo and the Prius to the Lexus saloons. (And also on some Mazdas, I think.) My Auris currently has a TomTom plug that won't come out of the socket no matter what I do, and I'm going to ask my garage to remove it at the next upcoming service. I gather that Toyota mechanics have got the job down to a fine art, and that it takes only seconds if only you've got the confidence to use enough force.

BJ

Yes, Avensis. But it is only the Ring adaptor that gives me problems. The 2 socket one that normally lives there, for dashcam and phone is easy to remove or replace.

The axillary power socket inside the centre armrest is a bit of a bugger as it is at an awkward angle.

The Ring is also a problem on Mrs S' Yaris, but phone chargers work OK.

Slarti

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 19th, 2018, 3:39 pm

Slarti wrote:Yes, Avensis. But it is only the Ring adaptor that gives me problems. The 2 socket one that normally lives there, for dashcam and phone is easy to remove or replace......The Ring is also a problem on Mrs S' Yaris, but phone chargers work OK.

Ed Zackerly. It's only certain plugs that sport the awkward extra millimetre of diameter that makes them an over-tight fit in the Toyota's socket, which in turn is a millimetre tighter than other cars' sockets. TomTom are the worst offenders, I believe, but I'm sure there are others.

OTOH, I have a four-way USB charger plug which would run all my gadgets and still have one socket left over to make me a cup of tea, and it's an easy fit in all my sockets. You never can tell.

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”