Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Tyres

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
pancake101
Lemon Pip

Tyres

Postby pancake101 » August 13th, 2018, 4:01 pm

Hi folks

A couple of questions in a ramble/rant with regard to a back tyre from someone relatively new at car things! (So please be kind!)

I don't have a spare wheel (not that I need a change of wheel, its clarification of what I have) just a compressor and a can of stuff - can the compressor itself be used to blow up a low pressure tyre.

This tyre is driving me nuts - I realised that when I filled it with air last week it was the 5th time since it was put on in March. This time its got low without much driving at all and in a few days, the warning light coming on quickly today. I was not heading in the direction of the garage!

The very first time the light went on to show it had low pressure I had just left the service centre! Is the tyre faulty ? Am I doing doing something wrong when I refull ? Or is it not that uncommon to keep topping up? I had the tyre pressures on the screen on the dashboard, so know it went up to around what the other back tyre was.

TIA
P

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tyres

Postby Slarti » August 13th, 2018, 4:17 pm

It is possible that you've picked up a nail, or similar, giving you a slow puncture. And if you are having to reinflate that sounds a strong possibility.

I'd get to a tyre place ASAP where they'll take it off and have a look for you.

If it is a nail, away from the edges of the tyre, they can safely plug the hole for you, far, far cheaper then getting a new tyre.

HTH
Slarti

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 13th, 2018, 4:18 pm

5 times since March seems very excessive to me. I top up maybe twice a year and often that is unnecessary. Your compressor is fine for pumping it up, that's its job.

Sounds like a slow puncture or leaky valve. Or if you've had this problem since the tyre was fitted, I suspect it wasn't fitted properly in the first place. I'd take it back to where you got the tyre from. And sharpish, you don't want the tyre to give out on you unexpectedly. Especially if your in my vicinity.

--kiloran

meldrewlives
Lemon Pip

Postby meldrewlives » August 13th, 2018, 4:27 pm

You probably ought to take it to a tyre fitting place. It could be any one of a number of possible problems e.g. tyre damage where it's not visible, faulty valve, bad fitting, or even trouble with the wheel rim. If it is an alloy wheel I would also be checking for cracks as a result of pothole damage.

I had to get the inside of one of my alloys stripped and repainted not so long ago because there was some minor corrosion on the inside of the rim causing a bad seal. I was told it is a not uncommon problem because moisture gets introduced over time as the tyre is periodically re-inflated.

I wasn't too impressed that the people who had fitted some new tyres only a few weeks before had not spotted the problem!

pancake101
Lemon Pip

Postby pancake101 » August 13th, 2018, 4:29 pm

Sounds like a slow puncture or leaky valve. Or if you've had this problem since the tyre was fitted, I suspect it wasn't fitted properly in the first place. I'd take it back to where you got the tyre from. And sharpish, you don't want the tyre to give out on you unexpectedly. Especially if your in my vicinity.

Its a day out there and back - I only take the care there for the servicing = its 120 miles away :!: No special tyre outlets here.

I think you are all right - I need to do something, I will call a local garage.

pancake101
Lemon Pip

Postby pancake101 » August 13th, 2018, 5:09 pm

I have just spent an age trying to get the end of the compressor into the 12V thing.

How on earth does it go in. The now defunct one I had used in the past just pushed home by pushing in the two silver bits. On this one the two silver bits are tiny and there are also two black bits - so it looks like 4 bits stopping it from going in.

Fingers are sore from trying to squeeze it in! I must be missing something - though the picture shows an arrow but not that simple!

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 13th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Can you tell us the precise model name etc for the compressor?

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » August 14th, 2018, 9:09 am

pancake101 wrote:I have just spent an age trying to get the end of the compressor into the 12V thing.

How on earth does it go in. The now defunct one I had used in the past just pushed home by pushing in the two silver bits. On this one the two silver bits are tiny and there are also two black bits - so it looks like 4 bits stopping it from going in.

Fingers are sore from trying to squeeze it in! I must be missing something - though the picture shows an arrow but not that simple!

The connector should be a simple "cigarette lighter" fitting - same as on any in-car charger.

Looks a bit like one of these...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-UNIVERSA ... 1072358876
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-Male ... 2216070441

If it doesn't go in easily it is either the wrong plug or the wrong hole.

Paul

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » August 14th, 2018, 4:24 pm

DrFfybes wrote:The connector should be a simple "cigarette lighter" fitting - same as on any in-car charger.

If it doesn't go in easily it is either the wrong plug or the wrong hole.

The one on my Ring compressor doesn't go in, or come out, easily. Mrs S can't use it as she no longer has the necessary strength of hand.

Slarti

pancake101
Lemon Pip

Postby pancake101 » August 14th, 2018, 4:29 pm

Thanks Paul - I think it must be me!

It definitely goes into the cigarette lighter as the the diagram shows the ciggie lighter coming out and this bit to go in,though in truth its a 12V marked hinged lid.

The silver bits that get squeezed to insert it into the aperture are very small - less than 1cm long and a couple of mm high and very stiff. I have not got the ability in my fingers and thumbs to squeeze hard this close to insertion.

I wondered if there was a picture I could show but the branded compressors on ebay have the wires and connectors all still tidily would up inside the back cut outs!

Garage tomorrow! If I have enough air to get me there!

pancake101
Lemon Pip

Postby pancake101 » August 14th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Slarti - overlapping there

Yes - same thing!

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » August 14th, 2018, 4:34 pm

pancake101 wrote:Slarti - overlapping there

Yes - same thing!

I will say, I don't squeeze the sides at all, just line it up and, holding the plastic top, push. Hard!

I've got one of these http://www.ringautomotive.com/uk/produc ... rs/RAC630# which shows the plug.

Slarti

pancake101
Lemon Pip

Postby pancake101 » August 14th, 2018, 4:35 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Can you tell us the precise model name etc for the compressor?

Its the one that came with the car - has only car make on it and some random numbers on the back? has Active Tools Europe GmbH and made in China !

pancake101
Lemon Pip

Postby pancake101 » August 14th, 2018, 4:47 pm

Slarti wrote:
pancake101 wrote:Slarti - overlapping there

Yes - same thing!

I will say, I don't squeeze the sides at all, just line it up and, holding the plastic top, push. Hard!

I've got one of these http://www.ringautomotive.com/uk/produc ... rs/RAC630# which shows the plug.

Slarti

Thank you Slarti - I went out to the car and armed with your information I tried to push it even harder than yesterday on the assumption that is the way to do it! It worked! Tyre ready now.

Thank you all. P

pancake101
Lemon Pip

Postby pancake101 » August 15th, 2018, 4:07 pm

I am sure you are all wanting to hear the update!

Tyre down a wee a bit but not showing as a warning and drove the the garage fine. I was told that there was 'something' in there and was close to where it was not repairable.

Once some said that really I should not be inflating so often I remembered the first time the warning light told me to rectify the tyre pressure was under a mile after leaving the service centre where the tyres have been replaced. I know this, as I stopped to phone and its 2.2 miles from start, and I recalled the screen went on pretty much once straight once up to speed and I panicked before deciding where I could stop.

Pretty unlucky to have picked up something so quickly but the garage said it can happen!!!

Another question, hopefully the last - they repaired it and not expensive but do they generally check the pressure? It was lower leaving than I had when I went in.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » August 15th, 2018, 4:12 pm

pancake101 wrote:Another question, hopefully the last - they repaired it and not expensive but do they generally check the pressure? It was lower leaving than I had when I went in.

I think that would depend on the individual doing the job.

They should, but some probably do it "by eye". Or to the pressure required for another vehicle.

I'd be wanting to give it daily checks, for a few days, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck!

Slarti

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » August 15th, 2018, 5:11 pm

Most of the cars I've dealt with that have low pressure tyre warnings have to be reset after inflating.
If you had a set of new tyres fitted and the garage didn t reset the system on your instrument panel that's why the warning showed up just a mile after leaving the garage.

Pump up all the tyres to the correct pressure, park on a level surface, then reset the instrument panel before driving off.

If you are unsure get someone to help or read the car handbook for details on how to do it.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » August 16th, 2018, 8:47 am

Slarti wrote:
pancake101 wrote:Another question, hopefully the last - they repaired it and not expensive but do they generally check the pressure? It was lower leaving than I had when I went in.

I think that would depend on the individual doing the job.

They should, but some probably do it "by eye". Or to the pressure required for another vehicle.

I'd be wanting to give it daily checks, for a few days, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck!

Slarti

I would expect a garage or tyre shop to pump up new or repaired tyres to the pressure specified by the manufacturer.

With modern low profile tyres, the 'by eye' method is too unreliable. In my experience such tyres can lose a third of their pressure before it shows as a sidewall bulge. Fortunately, in my current commuting car, I can tell from the deterioration in the ride when pressures have dropped just a couple of pounds below optimal.

Watis

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » August 16th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Watis wrote:I would expect a garage or tyre shop to pump up new or repaired tyres to the pressure specified by the manufacturer.

With modern low profile tyres, the 'by eye' method is too unreliable. In my experience such tyres can lose a third of their pressure before it shows as a sidewall bulge. Fortunately, in my current commuting car, I can tell from the deterioration in the ride when pressures have dropped just a couple of pounds below optimal.

So would I Expect. But you don't always get what you expect.

As for low profile tyres, they are an option that I would not have on any car I bought as they give a horrible ride for no advantage that I can see.

Slarti

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » August 16th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Slarti wrote:
Watis wrote:I would expect a garage or tyre shop to pump up new or repaired tyres to the pressure specified by the manufacturer.

So would I Expect. But you don't always get what you expect.

As for low profile tyres, they are an option that I would not have on any car I bought as they give a horrible ride for no advantage that I can see.

Slarti

I would agree if you're thinking of those black rubber bands you see on souped-up cars.

But I think all modern tyres are low profile in the sense that they are less than 100% and I was thinking of 65% or 75% which are typical ratios these days.

Watis

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”