Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

NYMR

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
ten0rman
Lemon Slice

NYMR

Postby ten0rman » August 28th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Recently had yet another day out on the North Yorks Moors Railway (NYMR), specifically the Moorlander from Grosmont to Pickering return along with a four course meal (starter, mains, sweet, tea/coffee). As usual, the food was excellent (we've now had eight meals spread over 16 years), and highly recommended. We also had a couple of days in Whitby, travelling in by train from Grosmont so as to avoid the hassle of Whitby parking and the congestion getting there.

Under normal conditions, the train is steam hauled, but due to the abnormally hot and long lasting weather, and the ensuing fire risk, NYMR were topping & tailing each and every train with a steam and a diesel - unless the train was scheduled to be diesel anyway. Actually, that's not quite true because some of the trains between Whitby & Grosmont were steam hauled only so I suppose it was deemed that the fire risk was acceptable. Unfortunately, because NYMR do not have enough diesels of their own, they were having to hire in, and that was costing them quite a packet. As the lady I spoke to said, it's either that, or shut down!

Some of you may remember that either earlier this year or maybe last year there was a three or four part television programme about the NYMR. We discovered that there is to be a second set of programmes, next spring I was told, but as ever with me, I'll wait and see. How did we find out? The camera was on the platform at Whitby on one of the occasions we went into Whitby. He wasn't filming when I spoke to him, so no, I doubt that I'll be on the film!

Yes, a nice day out, but as I said to Mrs T, after the number of meals we have had, it's all becoming rather mundane so I can't really see us doing it again.

Regards,

ten0rman

ps. We also found a recently re-opened pub at Egton (not Egton Bridge) where we had a very nice lunch one day. It's called "The Witching Post". (Egton Bridge is in the bottom of the valley and boasts a railway station on the Middlesbrough - Whitby line. Egton is up the steep hill from Egton Bridge.)

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: NYMR

Postby scotia » August 29th, 2018, 12:08 am

When on holiday in Pickering, we travelled to Whitby (and back) on the NYMR. A very pleasant journey. As we approached the Whitby station we could see cars crawling round the large car park, and were told by one of the NYMR staff that all the Whitby car parks had been full since 10am. So I agree - use the NYMR to avoid the car parking problem in Whitby.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”