Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

VED (Road tax) query

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
staffordian
Lemon Quarter

VED (Road tax) query

Postby staffordian » October 21st, 2018, 4:23 pm

I'm picking up a new (to me) car next week. It's about eight months old and I will, of course, have to tax it, which the garage will do online with me as I collect it.

The CO2 figure for the car is 147, which means, if I have understood the new system correctly, that the year one VED is £200, and after the car is a year old, the figure is £140pa.

My query is about the cost of taxing it now it's eight months old. If I want to tax it for twelve months, will the DVLA online system be clever enough to charge four months at one rate and the balance of eight months at the lower rate, or is it another con like the overlapping double charge when a car is sold, meaning I have to pay all of it at the higher rate?

I can't find anything on line to answer this, so perhaps I'm just not using the correct term when searching.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: VED (Road tax) query

Postby staffordian » October 21st, 2018, 9:17 pm

Right...

I think I can answer my own question. It looks like the original owner loses out, because as far as I can see, regardless of how much that owner pays in year one VED, if they sell within the first year their partial refund is calculated as if they had only paid £140. So on that basis, I'm assuming that the second owner (me, in this case!) will only pay £140.

I'll know for sure in a few days :)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 23rd, 2018, 11:08 am

<pedant>
road tax was abolished in 1937
</pedant>

I'll get me coat :-)
didds

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » October 23rd, 2018, 11:17 am

didds wrote:<pedant>
road tax was abolished in 1937
</pedant>

I'll get me coat :-)
didds

Ah, but how many folk know what you mean when you start taking about VED?

;)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 23rd, 2018, 11:29 am

staffordian wrote:Ah, but how many folk know what you mean when you start taking about VED?
;)

well... being vaguely boring and tedious, the fact that "road tax" is understood and VED possibly isn't rather underlines one issue surrounding it - as Churchill said in 1936, leading to road tax's abolition a year later the name in itself can suggest the tax is tied in with the upkeep of the roads providing some sense - amongst some - that this should therefore give them precedence etc.

We see this still with the suggestion amongst some that those that do not pay "road tax" should not use the roads. Though some say the same about VED - displaying vast amounts of ignorance.

If the term "road tax" could die a death (81 years after its actual demise) it may start moving away from this "I pay tax, you don't" attitude, that doesn't have any basis in reality whatever anyway.

didds

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » October 23rd, 2018, 11:50 am

didds wrote:
staffordian wrote:Ah, but how many folk know what you mean when you start taking about VED?
;)

well... being vaguely boring and tedious, the fact that "road tax" is understood and VED possibly isn't rather underlines one issue surrounding it - as Churchill said in 1936, leading to road tax's abolition a year later the name in itself can suggest the tax is tied in with the upkeep of the roads providing some sense - amongst some - that this should therefore give them precedence etc.

We see this still with the suggestion amongst some that those that do not pay "road tax" should not use the roads. Though some say the same about VED - displaying vast amounts of ignorance.

If the term "road tax" could die a death (81 years after its actual demise) it may start moving away from this "I pay tax, you don't" attitude, that doesn't have any basis in reality whatever anyway.

didds

Very true didds, and I can never understand why road tax, er, I mean VED ;) isn't abolished and replaced by additional fuel duty. Hard to avoid, and proportional to both the vehicles economy and it's mileage, ie it's usage of the road.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 23rd, 2018, 12:32 pm

staffordian wrote:Very true didds, and I can never understand why road tax, er, I mean VED ;) isn't abolished and replaced by additional fuel duty. Hard to avoid, and proportional to both the vehicles economy and it's mileage, ie it's usage of the road.

I believe the powers that be feel that it would unfairly(?) penalise those living in isolated places such as farmers and crofters, travelling salesmen, etc.

--kiloran

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”