Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Car Insurance

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Car Insurance

Postby Rhyd6 » November 7th, 2018, 4:34 pm

Moderator Message:
I think this is better on the Card board. Moved with shadow left.. (chas49)

If a younger person (34) with clean driving licence, is added to the insurance of an older person (72) also clean licence, will this reduce insurance premiums?

R6

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: Car Insurance

Postby chas49 » November 7th, 2018, 4:46 pm

Might do. Why not try a comparison site with the older person's details first, then add the younger? And report back with your findings perhaps?

Cheers

chas

(p.s. Obviously I meant Cars not Card in the mod message above)

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 8th, 2018, 9:56 am

It certainly used to.

I remember expressing great joy when I found out that adding me to Dad's insurance reduced it when he hit 80.

Sweet return for those years he 'mentioned' it doubled it when I was a teenager :)

Paul

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » November 8th, 2018, 4:19 pm

will this reduce insurance premiums?

If you're comparing, try fooling with the average mileage you're planing on.

While not directly comparable to your situation, the insurance for #1 Daughter's first car decreased as we tried different milage settings - From memory we hit a sweet spot at about 7k miles per year. More and fewer miles cost more.

As a guess, a 72 year old is likely to be retired and I supect the insurance companies are happier with someone who drives reasonable distances on a regular basis to 'keep their hand in' rather than someone who drives to town once a week and only requires 1500 miles a year.

Theory only.

B.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 8th, 2018, 4:25 pm

I put a now-70-year-old friend on my insurance about 5 years ago, and it didn't make much difference to my premium. So I've just left him on since then.

This year my renewal was a fair bit up on last year, so I phoned them. On removing my friend the premium went down by about £30. Go figure.

Scott.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » November 8th, 2018, 4:58 pm

PrincessB wrote:

If you're comparing, try fooling with the average mileage you're planing on.

While not directly comparable to your situation, the insurance for #1 Daughter's first car decreased as we tried different milage settings - From memory we hit a sweet spot at about 7k miles per year. More and fewer miles cost more.

As a guess, a 72 year old is likely to be retired and I supect the insurance companies are happier with someone who drives reasonable distances on a regular basis to 'keep their hand in' rather than someone who drives to town once a week and only requires 1500 miles a year.

Theory only.

B.

I'm glad you added 'theory only' to your post.
Most of the retired 70+ year olds that I know drive considerably more than 1500 miles a year and travel to lots of interesting places that don't include their local town.

More 70 year olds are remaining in employment than ever before as well.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 8th, 2018, 6:15 pm

richlist wrote:
PrincessB wrote:

B.

I'm glad you added 'theory only' to your post.
Most of the retired 70+ year olds that I know drive considerably more than 1500 miles a year and travel to lots of interesting places that don't include their local town.

More 70 year olds are remaining in employment than ever before as well.

=======================================

practically 80 now (cant believe it) , i do 9000 miles annually , including towing a caravan around scotland and norfolk for 3 months this wonderful year .

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 9th, 2018, 8:58 am

[quote"]
[/quote]

I'm 56. I work from home, driving to the office (80+ miles) once a month.
I rarely drive outside of our immediate environs otherwise except with my wife typically and then we'll at best split the driving 50/50, and on holiday she prefers to drive and I navigate.

I only have 10K miles on my own vehicle's insurance (T4 campervan) because that provides 3rd party cover on other vehicles that a 5K miles cover doesn't. I don;t do 5K miles a year in it as it is. I do use my wife/daughter/son's car on occassion when convenient. I doubt I drive more than 6K a year total (and that's a generous estimate). If I don't go to the office most months I possibly wouldn't drive more than 10 miles in a journey.

Ive never been questioned by an insurance company whether or not "I keep my hand in".

didds

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 9th, 2018, 10:05 am

didds wrote:I only have 10K miles on my own vehicle's insurance .....
(snip)
I don;t do 5K miles a year in it as it is. ....
(snip)
I doubt I drive more than 6K a year total (and that's a generous estimate).

That's an interesting point which I hadn't considered. Clearly it's not a good idea (v.v. bad!!) to state you drive X miles p.a. and then actually do X plus Y miles. If you do that, you risk having claims refused (and ending up uninsured?)

If, on the other hand, you state x miles, but actually do X minus Y, they don't care and apparently in some cases you get a better deal!

Who knew!

Is there a small risk that the ins co could say "no, you don't do what you said, you're not covered". Seems unlikely, but is it a zero risk???

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 9th, 2018, 10:42 am

chas49 wrote:That's an interesting point which I hadn't considered. Clearly it's not a good idea (v.v. bad!!) to state you drive X miles p.a. and then actually do X plus Y miles. If you do that, you risk having claims refused (and ending up uninsured?)

bit of an unknown really... you could renew in (say) january and say your annual mileage is 5K miles. and that be true up to November, when something happens and you have to do far more driving than you could ever have believed likely 10 months earlier. I guess you can always phone tyour insureres to discuss the likely exceeding of the mileage.

I'd like to think that eg a total of 7K would be OK ... but 17K wouldn;t be in this cenario

didds

gadjet
Lemon Pip

Postby gadjet » November 9th, 2018, 4:32 pm

I always tell my ins. co. if I'm about to exceed the mileage limit, just to be on the safe side.

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » November 9th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Our annual mileage is around 12-13K. We are both pensioners aged 75 & 67. 5 years ago, our daughter ended up in hospital following a serious accident and we ended up taking her 6 year old daughter to see her mother just about every weekend. This put our annual mileage up to almost 18K. I advised our insurance co, and it was increased without any problems and only a small premium increase.

ten0rman

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 11th, 2018, 5:58 pm

ten0rman wrote:Our annual mileage is around 12-13K. We are both pensioners aged 75 & 67. 5 years ago, our daughter ended up in hospital following a serious accident and we ended up taking her 6 year old daughter to see her mother just about every weekend. This put our annual mileage up to almost 18K. I advised our insurance co, and it was increased without any problems and only a small premium increase.

ten0rman

When my dad died I was suddenly doing a 500+ mile round trip every 3 weeks or so to visit mum, and at realised I'd blown the estimated 9k annual mileage as I normally did 6-7k in that car.

I phoned Elephant and said I'd gone over, and would likely hit 12k that year and they said something like "thanks, it is only an estimate and the price would be the same anyway. Don't worry unless you do it regularly."

I wonder if your premium increase was an admin charge?

Paul

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » November 11th, 2018, 8:44 pm

Paul,

I wonder if your premium increase was an admin charge?

Might have been. My records (a homemade database) don't go into it that deeply. All I know is that I was charged something like £26.

ten0rman

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”