Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Robert Llewellyn - fullychargedshow - Youtube

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Robert Llewellyn - fullychargedshow - Youtube

Postby Slarti » December 9th, 2018, 4:02 pm

richlist wrote:Charging points in lamp posts are not gonna cut the mustard.......is this some sort of poorly thought out solution by the same people trying to fix Brexit ?

A development near me of 96 flats ......and many residents have more than one car.....has considerably fewer lampposts than cars. There is probably a lamppost every 20 metres at best. Guess there are gonna be a lot of disappointed people who wont be able to drive to work in the morning !

This brave new world needs to provide a much better solution than plugging into lampposts.

96 flats and no off-street parking?

That must be a fun area to try and park.

Slarti

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 9th, 2018, 10:52 pm

Slarti wrote:
richlist wrote:The current speed of progress in development of electric vehicles is fast and accelerating. I'm left wondering why anyone wants to seriously spend £30K - 60K upwards ( or its corresponding monthly lease ) on any electric vehicle that is likely to be out of date within a few months of taking delivery.

Because if you do the miles (25,000+) you'll cover £30K in a year!

If you can buy a car it's out of date.

For me, it'll be time to buy one when 2nd hand one's than I want are regularly available.

Slarti

OK, I've read this several times and still can't work it out. I'm obviously missing something.

You are saying that at 25,000 miles a year you will save £30k on fuel using an electric car? That's about 6mpg.

Besides, many (possibly most) people doing that sort of mileage don't pay for their own fuel, it is BIK tax they consider.

Paul

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 10th, 2018, 12:59 pm

DrFfybes wrote:OK, I've read this several times and still can't work it out. I'm obviously missing something.

You are saying that at 25,000 miles a year you will save £30k on fuel using an electric car? That's about 6mpg.

Besides, many (possibly most) people doing that sort of mileage don't pay for their own fuel, it is BIK tax they consider.

I obviously slipped a decimal point when doing that calculation :cry:

But my point was that electric cars are close to free to run, especially for those with solar panels.

Slarti

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » December 10th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Slarti wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:OK, I've read this several times and still can't work it out. I'm obviously missing something.

I obviously slipped a decimal point when doing that calculation :cry:

But my point was that electric cars are close to free to run, especially for those with solar panels.

Slarti

Well I have solar panels at home so know how much free energy I get in my part of Essex. Its very easy to generalise and get a completely wrong idea.....here are a couple of things to bear in mind.

1. Without suitably sized additional domestic battery storage e.g. Tesla Powerwall or similar its unlikely that Mr or Mrs average would be able to have access to all the daytime solar energy......cos they won't be at home.

2. Even if they are at home during the day, there is a large part of the year when it's grey and overcast......like now. Solar energy October through to March is way down on April to September. Average daily solar energy production for my 14 panel array is as follows:
October = 8.3kW, November = 3.6kW and December up to & including yesterday 9th = 2.2kW
By the time you run the home.....washing machine, dishwasher, hot water, cooking etc......there ain't much left available for charging electric cars. It's fine during April to September.....lots of spare energy but not now.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » December 10th, 2018, 3:51 pm

Electric cars won't be free to run, while servicing is lower, it is needed, and electricity won't be free, and the government will look to replace fuel duty with another tax on driving, probably a mileage tax, though hopefully not a big brother road pricing scheme.

Meatyfool
Lemon Slice

Postby Meatyfool » December 10th, 2018, 4:11 pm

JohnB wrote:Electric cars won't be free to run, while servicing is lower, it is needed.

Yes, but how much? I watched a you tube video about ev servicing and they did point out that there were a couple of "fluids" that needed replacing every 75K and 150K. Everything else? I suspect they all form a part of an MOT?

I got two free services with my Leaf - I wouldn't have had them if they weren't. The major part to justify the £199 charge is free RAC (equivalent) for the year. Massively overpriced.

I bought my car second hand so there wasn't a warranty implication.

Meatyfool..

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”