Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

DVLA... good or bad?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

DVLA... good or bad?

Postby kiloran » December 6th, 2018, 12:48 pm

I'll be 70 in a few months so the DVLA sent me a form to renew my driving licence (a paper one, more ragged around the edges than I am!). Although I had the form, I could apply online. They wanted a photo of me; no problem, give them my passport details and they can retrieve the photo from that. I completed the online form on monday in a matter of minutes. and today, 3 days later, my photo ID driving licence dropped through the letterbox. Astonishing service.

My wife's licence expires next month, but due to an ongoing medical condition, it has to be renewed every 3-4 years. Due to the medical condition, the online process cannot be used. I have downloaded the form for the medical details, but I cannot download the licence application form.... I can either go to a large Post Office to get one, or order a form from the DVLA, which will take 7-10 days to arrive. And because it cannot be done online, a physical photo must be provided, they cannot use the passport one.
The new, bright, shiny DVLA reputation has suddenly become rather tarnished

--kiloran

production100
2 Lemon pips

Re: DVLA... good or bad?

Postby production100 » December 7th, 2018, 9:12 am

My vote bad...

They give out details of car owners to parking companies who are purely interested for financial gain. They seem to be exempt from the data protection regulations.

The rules around keeping a vehicle but not using it on the road are totally ridiculous - it is none of their business if a vehicle is kept in a garage and not used.

P100

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » December 7th, 2018, 10:09 am

production100 wrote:My vote bad...

They give out details of car owners to parking companies who are purely interested for financial gain. They seem to be exempt from the data protection regulations.

The rules around keeping a vehicle but not using it on the road are totally ridiculous - it is none of their business if a vehicle is kept in a garage and not used.

P100

But it's a lot more difficult to keep an untaxed vehicle on the road because of these rules.......how can that be a bad thing.
Taxes pay the bills and having everyone pay theirs is what the majority want.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 7th, 2018, 10:43 am

production100 wrote:My vote bad...

P100

Maybe this is splitting hairs, but surely this is not a reason to criticise the DVLA, they are just implementing government policy. It isn't something they have chosen to do.

And I guess the same point could be made about them releasing driver details.

Isn't it a bit like criticising HMRC for collecting income tax?

stockton
Lemon Slice

Postby stockton » December 21st, 2018, 6:34 pm

It is surely up to HMRC or the DVLA to provide sufficient information to Parliament to ensure that relevant legislation functions effectively. It is consequently sensible to treat those institutions as substantially responsible for the legislation which they implement.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » December 21st, 2018, 6:52 pm

stockton wrote:It is surely up to HMRC or the DVLA to provide sufficient information to Parliament to ensure that relevant legislation functions effectively. It is consequently sensible to treat those institutions as substantially responsible for the legislation which they implement.

I don't think any Government department proactively provides information to Parliament. They will provide reports to their Ministers. If a Select Committee asks for information, it will be provided.

I can't see how this makes the department or agency responsible in that way.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”