Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Nissan Figaro

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
CommissarJones
Lemon Slice

Nissan Figaro

Postby CommissarJones » January 13th, 2019, 10:47 am

The New York Times has taken note of the British affinity for the Nissan Figaro.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/worl ... ctionfront

I have spotted a number of Figaros during my years of living in the UK and was curious about them myself, so I was interested to see this story come up on the NYT website.

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Re: Nissan Figaro

Postby scottnsilky » January 13th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Although being a big car fan in my earlier years, and spending 20 odd years in the motor trade, I never thought anything about Figaros, and never came across them through customers. I think I assumed they were just Micras in fancy clothes, but not at all, based on a floorpan of a model never imported into Britain, as Figaros were not.

There are 29 advertised in Autotrader today, anything up to £10,000, one exceptionally low mileage example twice that figure. I don't think I'll go after one......

dp

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 13th, 2019, 6:42 pm

scottnsilky wrote:Although being a big car fan in my earlier years, and spending 20 odd years in the motor trade, I never thought anything about Figaros, and never came across them through customers. I think I assumed they were just Micras in fancy clothes, but not at all, based on a floorpan of a model never imported into Britain, as Figaros were not.

I think the original Figaros (from 1991) were indeed designed on a Micra floorpan - but the later ones were stretched to fit something else. The originals weren't ever produced in a LHD format, which was why they suited the Brits but not many other nations. A near-neighbour of mine had one of the early ones, and she loved it dearly.

I'm stretching a memory here, but I think the original Figaro was one of a category of city mini-cars called Kei, which also included the Daihatsu Copen. They were exempt from tough Japanese parking regulations because they were so small, but they were a great exercise in getting the most out of a 600 or 700cc engine. The reason they had to go in the end was partly that their micro-engines couldn't meet emission standards, but also because they were about as much use as a cardboard box in a medium-level shunt.

Great fun, though!

BJ

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 13th, 2019, 6:47 pm

I've not seen many Figaros in the midlands but there were a lot in Brighton when I lived there.

I quite like the retro look but they wouldn't suit my needs.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 14th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Re the Daihatsu Copen (similar idea to the Figaro, but closer to the Audi TT in spirit):

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/tgs-gu ... -need-uk#2

They really should have carried on selling it. Don't you think?

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”