Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Nissan Figaro

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
CommissarJones
Lemon Slice

Nissan Figaro

Postby CommissarJones » January 13th, 2019, 10:47 am

The New York Times has taken note of the British affinity for the Nissan Figaro.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/worl ... ctionfront

I have spotted a number of Figaros during my years of living in the UK and was curious about them myself, so I was interested to see this story come up on the NYT website.

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Re: Nissan Figaro

Postby scottnsilky » January 13th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Although being a big car fan in my earlier years, and spending 20 odd years in the motor trade, I never thought anything about Figaros, and never came across them through customers. I think I assumed they were just Micras in fancy clothes, but not at all, based on a floorpan of a model never imported into Britain, as Figaros were not.

There are 29 advertised in Autotrader today, anything up to £10,000, one exceptionally low mileage example twice that figure. I don't think I'll go after one......

dp

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 13th, 2019, 6:42 pm

scottnsilky wrote:Although being a big car fan in my earlier years, and spending 20 odd years in the motor trade, I never thought anything about Figaros, and never came across them through customers. I think I assumed they were just Micras in fancy clothes, but not at all, based on a floorpan of a model never imported into Britain, as Figaros were not.

I think the original Figaros (from 1991) were indeed designed on a Micra floorpan - but the later ones were stretched to fit something else. The originals weren't ever produced in a LHD format, which was why they suited the Brits but not many other nations. A near-neighbour of mine had one of the early ones, and she loved it dearly.

I'm stretching a memory here, but I think the original Figaro was one of a category of city mini-cars called Kei, which also included the Daihatsu Copen. They were exempt from tough Japanese parking regulations because they were so small, but they were a great exercise in getting the most out of a 600 or 700cc engine. The reason they had to go in the end was partly that their micro-engines couldn't meet emission standards, but also because they were about as much use as a cardboard box in a medium-level shunt.

Great fun, though!

BJ

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 13th, 2019, 6:47 pm

I've not seen many Figaros in the midlands but there were a lot in Brighton when I lived there.

I quite like the retro look but they wouldn't suit my needs.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 14th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Re the Daihatsu Copen (similar idea to the Figaro, but closer to the Audi TT in spirit):

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/tgs-gu ... -need-uk#2

They really should have carried on selling it. Don't you think?

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”