Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Four major cities move to ban diesel vehicles by 2025

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » December 2nd, 2016, 9:39 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38170794

The leaders of four major global cities say they will stop the use of all diesel-powered cars and trucks by the middle of the next decade.
The mayors of Paris, Mexico City, Madrid and Athens say they are implementing the ban to improve air quality.

Any thoughts on how long before residual values start falling on second-hand diesels in the UK ? I am still hanging on to my mk4 Golf diesel but it has 200k miles on the clock and I will be very surprised if it passes its MOT in March 2017. Previous advice & discussions on here (MF) have recommended that you get much more value for money by buying a £6-7k replacement rather than a £3-4k replacement. Since the lifetime of the replacement might well approach that of city diesel bans I am interested in anybody's thoughts.

regards, dspp

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Four major cities move to ban diesel vehicles by 2025

Postby swill453 » December 2nd, 2016, 9:56 am

If you buy a £6-7k diesel next year then it'll be worth buttons after another 8 years, no matter what the market does.

It might be a consideration for the one after that though.

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 2nd, 2016, 11:11 am

Well, I switched back from a diesel (9 years old) to a petrol (18 months old) in the spring. My decision was partly down to the fact that Bristol intends to slap a £6.50 daily surcharge on diesels in 2020, on top of a daily congestion charge. And partly down to the extraordinary nit-picky technical complexity of modern diesel engines. Any little thing that goes wrong with them, and you're into a second mortgage. My old Passat had given me six years of trouble-free driving, but that was probably because it was a prehistoric turbo diesel with no gizmos. Nobody makes that sort of engine any more, because they're not allowed to.

The downside of going to petrol is that I'm now getting 40 mpg from my petrol engine instead of 50 plus with the diesel. (More CO2, less NOX and carbon particles - I guess I can live with that?) Higher fuel bills but less complexity under the bonnet.

One thing that struck me when car-hunting, though, is how many car models are still completely dominated by diesel variants. Now, once upon a time, diesels used to cost more to buy secondhand. I suspect we may soon have seen the last of that trend?

BJ

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » December 6th, 2016, 2:40 pm

BJ,

Am I right in thinking you went for an Avensis? Because if so, I'm a little bit surprised at your mpg's We have an Avensis (38.5mpg overall over 50K miles), and before that we had a Focus 1.8 turbo diesel (45.5 overall/57000) and a Peugeot 405 turbo diesel (42.5 overall/130K). All three vehicles have done exactly the same type of work, including caravan towing, with the same two drivers over the same roads and journeys. I consider my mpg for the Avensis to be satisfactory compared to the two diesels.

To be fair, we could get high mpg's on the diesels if travelling solo, whereas the Avensis does improve if solo, but not to the same extent. I consider the overall result is what matters.

My reason for changing back to petrol was because of the DPF/DMF problems - I simply didn't think we could avoid them.

Regards,

ten0rman

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 6th, 2016, 6:12 pm

ten0rman wrote:BJ,

Am I right in thinking you went for an Avensis? Because if so, I'm a little bit surprised at your mpg's We have an Avensis (38.5mpg overall over 50K miles), and before that we had a Focus 1.8 turbo diesel (45.5 overall/57000) and a Peugeot 405 turbo diesel (42.5 overall/130K). All three vehicles have done exactly the same type of work, including caravan towing, with the same two drivers over the same roads and journeys. I consider my mpg for the Avensis to be satisfactory compared to the two diesels.

To be fair, we could get high mpg's on the diesels if travelling solo, whereas the Avensis does improve if solo, but not to the same extent. I consider the overall result is what matters.

My reason for changing back to petrol was because of the DPF/DMF problems - I simply didn't think we could avoid them.

Regards,

ten0rman

Isn't yours an estate? And Manual?

Mine is an auto saloon and over 41,113 miles my average is 43.59mpg.

I would suggest that saloons get better mpg due to aerodynamics and a modern auto gets better mpg than a manual.

Slarti

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » December 19th, 2016, 8:11 pm

Death of diesel in passenger cars of limited concern to refiners

UBS warned that its global autos team expects diesel to "disappear almost completely" from passenger cars by 2025, falling to a 4 percent market share as hybrids and electric cars increase their presence.

http://oilpro.com/post/29222/death-dies ... cle_16_txt

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”