Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Once in a while,

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Once in a while,

Postby MonsterMork » March 15th, 2019, 8:46 pm

amongst the usual suspects of MoT fodder, you get to play with summat a touch classier than a fifteen year old Mondeo. And so today I broke my supercar cherry, with the opportunity to MoT an Audi R8 5.2 Spyder. Yes, all 196 mph, 520 bhp, nought to sixty under 4 seconds of it :shock: :D Needless to say I had to take it for a quick (slow) spin ;) No, really, I acksherly had to, honest, 4 wheel drive so needed to do the brake test with a decelerometer on the road 8-)

And was it worth the wait? Was it 'eck as like :roll:

Driven a more comfortable Land Rover Series 3. Auto gearbox on a Toyota Yaris changes gears quicker at town speeds. Get more all-round visbility in a Ford Transit. Sat on better leather in the DFS showroom. More luggage space in a tin bucket. And if you threw the key in a glass bowl on a friday night someone would ask "Who is driving the Audi A3?"

Other supercars are available ...

DisappointedMork

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Re: Once in a while,

Postby MonsterMork » May 3rd, 2019, 10:03 pm

MonsterMork wrote:
Other supercars are available ...

Well, in this case not necessarily a supercar per se, but it deffo falls into the Luxo-barge category - today's MoT fodder was a Bentley Continental Flying Spur :)

Sumptuous leather? Check. Extra-powerful engine? Check. Bells and whistles, buttons, gizmos and all the associated luxury trimmings? Check, check, checkity check. Does it waft along in lovely smooooooooothness? Oh yes 8-) Does it weigh the same as a small planet? You betcha! :o Our MoT ramp is rated at an SWL of 3 tonnes, I thought it was groaning a bit lifting the Bentley so I checked the nicely crafted manufacturers plate in the front passenger door jamb - the thing weighs 2940 kg! :shock: Stick an assistant in the drivers seat and it would have overloaded the ramp capacity ......

So was it worth it? Er, to be honest, not really sure it is. Supremely comfortable and luxurious, wafting serenly along and scalded cat accelerating as it may be, underneath the refinements it ain't much more than an Audi A6 with a pretty frock and a stonking gert big engine. With the choice of paying Bentley prices for Audi parts I think I would probably take the (comparatively) price-conscious choice. Don't get me wrong, the Be Gently would do me rather very nicely thank you very much if I was spending somebody elses money, but splashing out my own hard-earned and living with the running costs? Um, no, it's the VAG option I'm afraid. The folks in Crewe have nailed together a lovely car, and as a lottery winner it would make my test-drive list for sure, but it just doesn't cut it as an every day motor for those of us who have to work for a living.

Other luxo-barges are available ....

SlighlyDeflatedMork

ps: I am not immune to the charms of luxo-barges, having owned a Range Rover Classic for many years, and driven and tested assorted other Rangies, Jags, Discoveries, Mercs and the like ....

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”