Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Now look you lot ....

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Now look you lot ....

Postby MonsterMork » March 23rd, 2019, 5:22 pm

..... next one of you to take a car for MoT with no oil in the engine, or no fuel in the tank, gets taken out back and shot, right? :evil:

1 - not enough oil or fuel are acceptable reasons to refuse to test the vehicle

2 - if we have to put oil in so we can test your vehicle you will have to pay for it, it ain't part of the cost of the test, no matter what your mate down the pub says. If you are also having a service at the same time then you will be paying for the oil twice, as the MoT gets done first, so all that nice fresh expensive oil that has just been put in to do the test will get drained out again and thrown away come service time

3 - you might think that paying £1.30 a litre is expensive for fuel, but is is a lot cheaper than when we charge you a fiver a pint because we had to take someone off the spanners for half an hour and have them drive the car to the petrol station for you just because you couldn't be [expletive deleted]

Read section 4 here:
https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/ ... #section_4

BrassedOffMotTesterMork

dspp
Lemon Half

Re: Now look you lot ....

Postby dspp » March 23rd, 2019, 10:11 pm

Oil & fuel I always do, and water in the screen wipe tank. But does absence of 4th gear matter ?

My MOT is due in 11-months and it is pertinent as to whether I need 4th gear to be working by then.

On current trends the car will have managed 250,000 miles or thereabouts by then, and I'd quite like to get her through another MOT. But there is the minor matter of the missing 4th gear.

regards, dspp
Last edited by dspp on March 23rd, 2019, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 23rd, 2019, 10:22 pm

A good friend of mine does MOT tests. He says never take your vehicle in in the rain. If he gets drips of water down his neck while he is inspecting the underside of your vehicle, then you fail.

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » March 28th, 2019, 9:00 pm

So far this week the body count stands at five ...... :roll:

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » March 28th, 2019, 9:58 pm

dspp wrote: does absence of 4th gear matter ?

.... it is pertinent as to whether I need 4th gear to be working by then.

regards, dspp

Generally speaking no, in most circumstances the tester would be unlikely to know that 4th was missing (unless the presenter informed them of this fact prior to test), so would not fail the car, as you would generally only be using first and reverse. However, in certain circumstances a road test may be required, in which case 4th may be needed. But help is at hand, as having a missing fourth gear is in fact not necessarily a fail!

The contents of the gearbox are not tested for functionality other than first and reverse, and even then it is purely in order to get the vehicle into and out of the test area. A partially working gearbox is not in itself a fail, as the gearbox is not a testable item (other than it's operating lever/levers, mountings and input/output shafts and associated gubbins). But, the absence or failure of first/reverse would, IMHO, be grounds for a Dangerous fail, as the vehicle may not be able to accelerate away from rest (at the lights, for example) or for parking without mucho slippage of the clutch, and very slowly at that.

Needless to say this is all for Class 4 vehicles (normal cars and vans).

It all changes when you move away from Class 4, as there is, however, a specific stuffed gearbox failure for Class 5 vehicles, ie: passenger vehicles, ambulances and motor caravans with 13 or more passenger seats. This comes in Section 6.2.7, Driving Controls, where the specific fail is for a driving control necessary for the safe operation of the vehicle not functioning correctly or not working or functioning such that safe operation of the vehicle is affected:
https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/ ... ection_6.2
and scroll down to part 7

I think I need a lie down, that took far more furtling through the manuals than I was expecting, as I really couldn't think of any area where the gearbox functionality was tested! :geek:

MoTMork

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » March 28th, 2019, 10:02 pm

Lootman wrote:A good friend of mine does MOT tests. He says never take your vehicle in in the rain. If he gets drips of water down his neck while he is inspecting the underside of your vehicle, then you fail.

I wholeheartedly concur! :lol:

Almost as bad as the middle of a blazing hot summer, when the air-con drain tube suddenly dumps its ice-cold contents down the back of your neck with no warning :x

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » March 28th, 2019, 10:10 pm

MonsterMork wrote:
dspp wrote: does absence of 4th gear matter ?

.... it is pertinent as to whether I need 4th gear to be working by then.

regards, dspp

Generally speaking no, in most circumstances the tester would be unlikely to know that 4th was missing .....But help is at hand, as having a missing fourth gear is in fact not necessarily a fail!

MoTMork

Thank you MM, that is most appreciated. It means I can see whether she dies a natural death in the course of the next 11-months, or survives to go through & be tested, rather than prematurely sending her to the used metal bin. regards, dspp

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » March 28th, 2019, 10:17 pm

I'm guessing that a new gearbox (and clutch while the box is out) is out of the question?

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”