Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

locked out of nissan qashqai

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

locked out of nissan qashqai

Postby jackdaww » June 2nd, 2019, 8:38 am

below is the email i sent to nissan -- DAK -- any experience of this ?

(rescued by britannia rescue.)

many thanks .

======================================================

on 28may19 i parked my car at morrisons brecon wales .

after shopping , i put most of my stuff in the car passenger seat , closed the passenger door , put the key in the ignition and and closed the drivers door, with the intention of putting the shopping in the boot .

i did nothing that i dont do many times a week .

the boot would not open , all the doors were locked .

i was left with no key , no phone , no money and in shirt sleeves .

i am 80 years old .

morrisons were very helpful , god knows if this had been somewhere remote .

my rescue team arrived an hour later at about 8pm .

he could not get the car open or get hold of the key .

he drove me 70 miles to my home to get my wifes key and 70 miles back .

the car opened and has functioned normally since .

it was now midnight and i planned to stay the night in brecon rather than drive home in the dark after an exhausting evening at my age .

every hotel and b&b in brecon was full ! it being the world famous hay-on-wye book festival .

i had no choice but to drive home , arriving at 2am.

how can this happen ?

:shock: :shock:

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: locked out of nissan qashqai

Postby swill453 » June 2nd, 2019, 8:57 am

If that was really the email you sent then I would have added a bit more. Like the exact make/model/year of the car. And also what outcome you're actually expecting from the complaint, like maybe an inspection of the car by one of their engineers or something.

Did you hear the central locking operate at any time between closing the driver's door and attempting to open the boot?

Scott.

Archtronics
Lemon Pip

Postby Archtronics » June 2nd, 2019, 9:04 am

Well there first question is going to be why did you leave the key in the ignition, seems like an odd thing to do anyone could get in and rob the car if you get distracted.

Most cars auto lock once everything’s closed to stop that kind of thing happening, so that’s probably what the cause is.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » June 2nd, 2019, 9:13 am

Archtronics wrote:Well there first question is going to be why did you leave the key in the ignition, seems like an odd thing to do anyone could get in and rob the car if you get distracted.

Most cars auto lock once everything’s closed to stop that kind of thing happening, so that’s probably what the cause is.

Anything that's clever enough to autolock should also be clever enough not to do it when the key's in the ignition, so if it happened as reported then I'd say it must be a fault.

Having said that I too wouldn't be trusting enough to put myself on the other side of a closed door from the key.

Scott.

Archtronics
Lemon Pip

Postby Archtronics » June 2nd, 2019, 10:32 am

swill453 wrote:
Archtronics wrote:Well there first question is going to be why did you leave the key in the ignition, seems like an odd thing to do anyone could get in and rob the car if you get distracted.

Anything that's clever enough to autolock should also be clever enough not to do it when the key's in the ignition, so if it happened as reported then I'd say it must be a fault.

Having said that I too wouldn't be trusting enough to put myself on the other side of a closed door from the key.

Scott.

I think most cheaper cars are only smart enough to do it once the keys in the ignition for a few minutes.
I know our Renault does it after a few mins or so if you shut all the doors it just assumes someone is inside.
Thankfully it’s easy to break into. :lol:

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » June 2nd, 2019, 10:36 am

Archtronics wrote:I think most cheaper cars are only smart enough to do it once the keys in the ignition for a few minutes.
I know our Renault does it after a few mins or so if you shut all the doors it just assumes someone is inside.

The only autolocks I've ever come across are when:

- you unlock the doors but then don't open anything, it relocks after a minute or so.
- you actually drive off, and the doors lock.

(neither of which apply to the OP's situation)

Scott.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 2nd, 2019, 12:13 pm

Archtronics wrote:Most cars auto lock once everything’s closed to stop that kind of thing happening, so that’s probably what the cause is.

I would challenge that statement, when you notice how many people leave their keys in the ignition at petrol stations, and how few lock their cars, even if they take the keys out.

Many cars relock after 30 seconds, if nothing gets opened, some if no doors get opened, the boot not counting as a door, apparently. But locking once everything is closed is something I've never come across, other than with keyless.

Slarti

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 2nd, 2019, 12:16 pm

swill453 wrote:
Archtronics wrote:Having said that I too wouldn't be trusting enough to put myself on the other side of a closed door from the key.

I used to do that quite often, when the car was frozen over. Start the engine and leave it for a few minutes to warm up. But I used the spare key for that and locked it with the main one.

Slarti

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » June 2nd, 2019, 12:26 pm

I used to have a Nissan Note and subscribed to a Note forum. Whilst I never had an issue like this, I recall reading of something similar.

It's the thread below; post 9 is from a very knowledgeable chap who refers to something similar.

Might be worth a read...

https://www.noteownersclub.co.uk/forum/ ... d-out.html
Last edited by staffordian on June 2nd, 2019, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archtronics
Lemon Pip

Postby Archtronics » June 2nd, 2019, 12:27 pm

swill453 wrote:
Archtronics wrote:I think most cheaper cars are only smart enough to do it once the keys in the ignition for a few minutes.

- you unlock the doors but then don't open anything, it relocks after a minute or so.

Scott.

I suppose it’s a mute point really I’ve never driven a Nissan so could well be a fault with the car.
Hopefully the cars still in warranty and Nissan won’t charge anything to have a look at it.

Archtronics
Lemon Pip

Postby Archtronics » June 2nd, 2019, 12:30 pm

Slarti wrote:
Archtronics wrote:Most cars auto lock once everything’s closed to stop that kind of thing happening, so that’s probably what the cause is.

I would challenge that statement, when you notice how many people leave their keys in the ignition at petrol stations, and how few lock their cars, even if they take the keys out.

Many cars relock after 30 seconds, if nothing gets opened, some if no doors get opened, the boot not counting as a door, apparently. But locking once everything is closed is something I've never come across, other than with keyless.

Slarti

You must live in a nice area I don’t recall seeing people leaving keys in the ignition at my local petrol station, I also doubt the insurers would be to pleased with people doing that either.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » June 2nd, 2019, 12:53 pm

Archtronics wrote:
swill453 wrote:

Scott.

I suppose it’s a mute point really I’ve never driven a Nissan so could well be a fault with the car.
Hopefully the cars still in warranty and Nissan won’t charge anything to have a look at it.

======================

its out of warranty .

within 18 months the oil cooler and battery failed.

nissan have yet to reply .

thanks.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » June 2nd, 2019, 12:54 pm

Archtronics wrote:
Slarti wrote:

Slarti

You must live in a nice area I don’t recall seeing people leaving keys in the ignition at my local petrol station, I also doubt the insurers would be to pleased with people doing that either.

=================

i certainly dont leave the key in the ignition - i was about to depart.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » June 2nd, 2019, 12:56 pm

Slarti wrote:
swill453 wrote:
Archtronics wrote:Having said that I too wouldn't be trusting enough to put myself on the other side of a closed door from the key.

I used to do that quite often, when the car was frozen over. Start the engine and leave it for a few minutes to warm up. But I used the spare key for that and locked it with the main one.

Slarti

thanks.

my solution is to ALWAYS carry the spare key safely on my person.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » June 2nd, 2019, 1:01 pm

staffordian wrote:I used to have a Nissan Note and subscribed to a Note forum. Whilst I never had an issue like this, I recall reading of something similar.

It's the thread below; post 9 is from a very knowledgeable chap who refers to something similar.

Might be worth a read...

https://www.noteownersclub.co.uk/forum/ ... d-out.html

=========================

thanks.

ive heard these horror stories on forums before - some times people are LOCKED INSIDE and cant get out.

this scenario just should not happen , its a fault , by design or software / hardware .

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » June 2nd, 2019, 1:32 pm

swill453 wrote:If that was really the email you sent then I would have added a bit more. Like the exact make/model/year of the car. And also what outcome you're actually expecting from the complaint, like maybe an inspection of the car by one of their engineers or something.

Did you hear the central locking operate at any time between closing the driver's door and attempting to open the boot?

Scott.

===================

thanks
no , i heard nothing .

yes i did put more in the email, but i want to see what they suggest .

the car is out of warranty , and my only legal recourse is to sue the retailer - nissan dont actually sell cars , i have been told in the past by their customer services.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » June 2nd, 2019, 1:36 pm

========================

i was about to depart .

there are no circumstances where anyone should be locked out of the car , unless its a deliberate act.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » June 2nd, 2019, 1:38 pm

swill453 wrote:

Scott.

=====================

correct.

RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Postby RedSnapper » June 3rd, 2019, 11:41 am

swill453 wrote:

Scott.

My Honda will autolock if I unlock but don't open the driver's door. If I open the boot or any other door then the autolock will operate after about 30 seconds. I've no idea whether putting the key in the ignition would make any difference.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » June 3rd, 2019, 3:35 pm

I would have thought getting locked out of a Qashqai would be an excellent result. :lol:

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”