Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Ford Ecoboost

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Stonge
Lemon Slice

Ford Ecoboost

Postby Stonge » June 24th, 2019, 11:47 pm

It would seem some owners have experienced difficulties with these engines

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Ford Ecoboost

Postby bungeejumper » June 25th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Oh dear, and I was expecting trouble from the overworked bearings department instead. Credit to Ford, I suppose, for having avoided the most obvious problem? But what a comedown to have engines killed by poor cooling instead.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/ford-ecobo ... now/n17972

But what's this? Cracked cylinder heads on the 1.6 lumps because of localised overheating? I haven't heard of that one since the Ariel Square Four - and that was before most Fools were born. :lol:

BJ

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » July 13th, 2019, 10:17 pm

Would anybody buy a Ford knowing this situation?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/

jonb1950

Postby jonb1950 » July 13th, 2019, 11:30 pm

We bought a used C Max 1.3 Ecoboost in Feb 2016. It had done 22,000 miles. Since then we've done about another 33,000 miles. The only major issue I can recall was the aircon developed a leak and needed a replacement compressor. Had a recall a few months ago from Ford relating to the clutch issue. They did a software upgrade, presumably to limit revs in the event of clutch slip.

Overall 41 mpg, which includes quite a lot of local driving these days. Occasionally get over 50 on a long trip. Road tax is pleasingly low - £30. Servicing all done by a local garage that I trust - actually I bought it from them after they bought it via on-line auction. Doubtless I could have bought it somewhat cheaper, but I don't begrudge them a bit of commission every few years.

It is very responsive when I need to accelerate, but mostly I potter along slightly slower than the fastest HGVs, which I suspect irritates some of them. I get there nearly as quickly and it is much less stressful. I suppose it helps that we are seldom on a tight schedule.

Probably if I was 30 years younger I would think it a pretty dreadful car, but it suits us just fine. Very comfortable.

From what I read we are lucky, and quite possibly living on borrowed time. I probably ought to look to replace it soon, but it would seem somewhat churlish ...

Jon

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”