Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit Card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to MyNameIsUrl,GSVsowhat,johnstevens77,BusyBumbleBee,88V8, for Donating to support the site

Car insurance for driving in France

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Nimrod103
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2260
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 6:10 pm
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 140 times

Car insurance for driving in France

#236776

Postby Nimrod103 » July 15th, 2019, 1:34 pm

I assumed that UK car insurance covered driving in the EU as well. Having checked my policy documents (with Churchill) I have that I have to pay an additional £45 to get this cover. Is this a new development, or only for cheap policies bought through comparison websites? I don't remember a box on the application form saying 'tick if you want to drive in Europe'.

Alaric
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3368
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 9:05 am
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 687 times

Re: Car insurance for driving in France

#236781

Postby Alaric » July 15th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:I assumed that UK car insurance covered driving in the EU as well. Having checked my policy documents (with Churchill) I have that I have to pay an additional £45 to get this cover.


I think EU rules will only cover the mandatory minimum third party requirements. Insurers perhaps vary as to what they throw in with the UK policy at no extra cost.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2904
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:46 pm
Has thanked: 631 times
Been thanked: 487 times

Re: Car insurance for driving in France

#236821

Postby Slarti » July 15th, 2019, 4:14 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:I assumed that UK car insurance covered driving in the EU as well. Having checked my policy documents (with Churchill) I have that I have to pay an additional £45 to get this cover. Is this a new development, or only for cheap policies bought through comparison websites? I don't remember a box on the application form saying 'tick if you want to drive in Europe'.


Mine, from Quote Me Happy via Compare the Meerkat, sent me an email saying that after Brexit completes I will need a Green Card, like my Dad used to have and I'd just have to send them an email at least 3 weeks before travelling for them to send it to me. But, looking at the policy, my full cover does include the EU and a few other countries, so I suspect that it nay vary policy by policy.

Slarti

Spet0789
Lemon Slice
Posts: 869
Joined: June 21st, 2017, 12:02 am
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Car insurance for driving in France

#236826

Postby Spet0789 » July 15th, 2019, 4:26 pm

If we have a hard Brexit, you’ll also need either one or two International Driving Permits, available from main post offices. They need to be renewed annually IIRC.

Back to the good old days of 1950’s bureaucracy, jumping through hoops to be able to do things we used to be able to do freely! Brought to you by the 52%.

DrFfybes
Lemon Slice
Posts: 347
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 10:25 pm
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: Car insurance for driving in France

#236855

Postby DrFfybes » July 15th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Admiral, who are about as cheap and cheerful as you can get from a comparison site, say GB, NI, IoM, Channel Islands, "any other country that is a member of the EU" and Norway, Croatia, Switzerland, Andorra, and Lichtenstein.

Only if the trip is over 90 days do they need to be informed. Note that the "driving other peoples cars" type cover isn't usually applicable outside the UK, but named drivers are obviously OK.

I am surprised to see that in their T&Cs Churchill say..
"Using your car abroad
This policy also provides the minimum cover you need by law to use your car in:
• any country which is a member of the European Union; and
• Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man and any country listed below which the Commission of the European Community... "


It is the word "Minimum" that is important there, so you are effectively 3rd party only if you are abroad.

Paul

Laughton
Lemon Pip
Posts: 88
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 2:15 pm
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Car insurance for driving in France

#236859

Postby Laughton » July 15th, 2019, 5:55 pm

Won't it be a surprise (if Brexit ever does happen) if suddenly all those European countries decide that, rather than risk putting off a lot of potential tourists with the income they bring, they will be quite happy for people from over here to drive over there with just their regular UK driving license?

Alaric
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3368
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 9:05 am
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 687 times

Re: Car insurance for driving in France

#236862

Postby Alaric » July 15th, 2019, 6:03 pm

DrFfybes wrote: • Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man and any country listed below which the Commission of the European Community... "[/b]

It is the word "Minimum" that is important there, so you are effectively 3rd party only if you are abroad.


It's a bit evil applying it to the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. You wouldn't normally expect insurance cover not to be just as valid as on the mainland. I've driven to the Isle of man several times. it's never occurred to me to check.

Nimrod103
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2260
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 6:10 pm
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 140 times

Re: Car insurance for driving in France

#236874

Postby Nimrod103 » July 15th, 2019, 6:46 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Admiral, who are about as cheap and cheerful as you can get from a comparison site, say GB, NI, IoM, Channel Islands, "any other country that is a member of the EU" and Norway, Croatia, Switzerland, Andorra, and Lichtenstein.

Only if the trip is over 90 days do they need to be informed. Note that the "driving other peoples cars" type cover isn't usually applicable outside the UK, but named drivers are obviously OK.

I am surprised to see that in their T&Cs Churchill say..
"Using your car abroad
This policy also provides the minimum cover you need by law to use your car in:
• any country which is a member of the European Union; and
• Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man and any country listed below which the Commission of the European Community... "


It is the word "Minimum" that is important there, so you are effectively 3rd party only if you are abroad.

Paul


I have to say I am very upset, and will not be renewing with Churchill (ever). I feel I have been tricked. I don't recall having to make a choice on the application, saying that I wanted cover limited to the UK.

PS of course IOM and the Channel Islands are not legally in the UK.

Spet0789
Lemon Slice
Posts: 869
Joined: June 21st, 2017, 12:02 am
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Car insurance for driving in France

#236876

Postby Spet0789 » July 15th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Laughton wrote:Won't it be a surprise (if Brexit ever does happen) if suddenly all those European countries decide that, rather than risk putting off a lot of potential tourists with the income they bring, they will be quite happy for people from over here to drive over there with just their regular UK driving license?


Maybe they will, maybe they won’t. It will be their decision to make. What we British drivers need to do will be decided elsewhere. That’s what ‘taking back control’ means in practice.


Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest