Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Highway Code: rule changes for signs on motorways

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
chas49
Lemon Quarter

Highway Code: rule changes for signs on motorways

Postby chas49 » July 25th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Today (25 July 2019) Highway Code rule 258 has been updated to provide details about red ‘x’ signs on motorways.

The changes are to reflect amends made to The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions (TSRGD) 2016 regarding lane closures.

See the full rules changes to the Highway Code

Source: @HighwayCodeGB on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/HighwayCodeGB/)

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Highway Code: rule changes for signs on motorways

Postby swill453 » July 25th, 2019, 2:56 pm

chas49 wrote:Today (25 July 2019) Highway Code rule 258 has been updated to provide details about red ‘x’ signs on motorways.

Seems a fairly minor clarification. Rule 258 already said you must not go beyond a red 'X' above your lane.

Scott.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 25th, 2019, 3:50 pm

I have read a few pieces in the press recently about drivers ignoring red crosses.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 25th, 2019, 4:23 pm

richlist wrote:I have read a few pieces in the press recently about drivers ignoring red crosses.

On the M25 it is quite common for people to ignore them for 2 or 3 gantries, until it becomes obvious that the blockage is ahead.

Them putting them on literally miles before the problem leads to contempt.

Slarti

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 25th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Slarti wrote:Them putting them on literally miles before the problem leads to contempt.

[Devil's advocate mode] Plenty of situations can arise where getting out of a closing lane quickly is difficult. If you're being told to move into the second/third lane but you're walled in by columns of nose-to-tail trucks that just won't make a gap for you, then you can do with all the warning you can get. [/Devil's advocate mode]

I very nearly failed to make it off the northbound M6 at Knutsford the other week, because the artics simply wouldn't yield to let me do the lane change. They'd spent the last fifteen miles or so battling with a contraflow, and I reckon they were all in a stroppy mood. I managed the lane change at the very last moment, but if I'd been towing a caravan it would have been doubtful. I can't see much harm in giving the motorists as much warning as reasonably possible. An early warning also creates a bit more space in the closed lanes for the emergency services, etc, who may need to be there.

BJ

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 25th, 2019, 5:34 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Slarti wrote:Them putting them on literally miles before the problem leads to contempt.

[Devil's advocate mode] Plenty of situations can arise where getting out of a closing lane quickly is difficult. If you're being told to move into the second/third lane but you're walled in by columns of nose-to-tail trucks that just won't make a gap for you, then you can do with all the warning you can get. [/Devil's advocate mode]

I very nearly failed to make it off the northbound M6 at Knutsford the other week, because the artics simply wouldn't yield to let me do the lane change. They'd spent the last fifteen miles or so battling with a contraflow, and I reckon they were all in a stroppy mood. I managed the lane change at the very last moment, but if I'd been towing a caravan it would have been doubtful. I can't see much harm in giving the motorists as much warning as reasonably possible. An early warning also creates a bit more space in the closed lanes for the emergency services, etc, who may need to be there.

BJ

Don't you just love the professional HGV drivers, tailgating one another?

An early warning, perhaps, but past multiple junctions? And it is usually just a lorry having its wheel changed.

Slarti

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » July 25th, 2019, 6:55 pm

chas49 wrote:The changes are to reflect amends made to The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions (TSRGD) 2016 regarding lane closures.

What are "amends"?

bungeejumper wrote:[Devil's advocate mode] Plenty of situations can arise where getting out of a closing lane quickly is difficult. If you're being told to move into the second/third lane but you're walled in by columns of nose-to-tail trucks that just won't make a gap for you, then you can do with all the warning you can get. [/Devil's advocate mode]

There are "change lane" signals for that. Maybe more of those are needed.

Julian F. G. W.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » July 26th, 2019, 12:32 am

jfgw wrote:
chas49 wrote:The changes are to reflect amends made to The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions (TSRGD) 2016 regarding lane closures.

What are "amends"?

Ask whichever department is responsible for the press release

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 30th, 2019, 3:19 pm

jfgw wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:[Devil's advocate mode] Plenty of situations can arise where getting out of a closing lane quickly is difficult. If you're being told to move into the second/third lane but you're walled in by columns of nose-to-tail trucks that just won't make a gap for you, then you can do with all the warning you can get. [/Devil's advocate mode]

There are "change lane" signals for that. Maybe more of those are needed.

Which are totally ignored by one and all, especially when you get a few miles of them and then nothing. :lol:

Slarti

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”