Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Just because it passed

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Just because it passed

Postby MonsterMork » August 21st, 2019, 9:21 pm

last year at some dodgy-arsed test station doesn't mean I am going to pass it this year at my properly run place. And it sure as buggery aint getting passed on a retest after you complain that "It's ok, you can pass it after all, it has been like that for the last ten years".

When your wheel has a bolt missing it is a fail.

When every one of your wheels has a bolt missing, each one of them is a fail.

When they have been like that for ten years then you really do need to apply for a Darwin award. And not to darken my workshop again!

****ing cretin :roll:

MoTMork

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Just because it passed

Postby kiloran » October 2nd, 2019, 7:41 pm

Talking of Darwin Awards.... https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/d ... 1557840984

Ye Gods!

--kiloran

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » October 2nd, 2019, 8:13 pm

I've seen enough dodgy tyres in my time but that one just beggars belief! :shock: :o

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » October 3rd, 2019, 10:53 am

Yes. I saw that and couldn't for the life of me imagine how a tyre could actually incur enough damage to result in those lumps.

Perhaps being regularly driven up high kerbs at relatively high speed?

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » October 3rd, 2019, 11:14 am

staffordian wrote:Yes. I saw that and couldn't for the life of me imagine how a tyre could actually incur enough damage to result in those lumps.

Perhaps being regularly driven up high kerbs at relatively high speed?

I've never had them that bad. But I do get the occasional tyre wrecked by hitting one of the gazillions of pot-holes which now seem to infest our roads. I took off a back wheel only last week to do a pad change and replace the wheel bearing (car has 190k on it now so fair dues), only to see that the tyre had a slight, but visible bulge between the side wall and the tread. Twas a real bummer, tyre otherwise in good nick, only half worn :x

Yes it's kerb and pot hole strikes that does it.

Matt
Last edited by TheMotorcycleBoy on October 3rd, 2019, 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » October 3rd, 2019, 11:15 am

staffordian wrote:Yes. I saw that and couldn't for the life of me imagine how a tyre could actually incur enough damage to result in those lumps.

I think it's caught mumps.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 3rd, 2019, 5:28 pm

I've never seen a tyre as bad as that. My best guess is that it's been driven while badly deflated, which has detached the steel cords and generated a lot of heat. (Shudder.)

I did, however, once have an offside tyre on my wife's old Metro which caught everybody out. Every time she braked, the car would swing out into the middle of the road, and no amount of tracking testing or other mechanical gubbins could figure out what was wrong. The tyre looked perfect, and it had loads of nice evenly-worn tread. And it was the same tyre as the one on the nearside - there were no mis-matches.

Eventually the garage owner came to have a look, and he figured it immediately. He raced a Maserati at Le Mans every summer, and he'd had it happen to him on the track. When he took the tyre off the wheel and looked inside, a dozen or so steel cords were poking out of the rubber casing where the tyre had failed. A serious manufacturing fault, apparently, but not unknown even among quality tyre manufacturers. Scary.

BJ

dragnips
Lemon Pip

Postby dragnips » October 14th, 2019, 11:48 am

Would this be a fail? This was on the bus that transported us around Tortola.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 14th, 2019, 11:53 am

dragnips wrote:Would this be a fail? This was on the bus that transported us around Tortola.

Looks like a flimsy wheel trim made of something akin to tin foil. But the wheel underneath may not have all the correct bolts on, so I'd guess not. Do they have MOT tests there though?

Scott.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”