Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Parking - tandem spaces

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Parking - tandem spaces

Postby tjh290633 » September 11th, 2019, 10:01 am

Dod101 wrote:All of which assumes the garage doors are wide enough to take a car in the first place. I inherited a double garage but with two separate electrically operated doors with a solid pillar between. The daftest idea ever. I have looked at removing the pillar and installing one big door. perfectly feasible just not a priority so my car sits outside. How many days over the winter do we have snow? We either get no snow like last winter or so much of the stuff that I could not get the car out of the garage anyway so it is simply not an issue.

In a competition between identical houses I would be put off by my arrangements but in my street they are all individual houses so there are many more critical factors to consider and when we bought the garage arrangements were simply not an issue.

Dod

Having spent the winters of 1961-2-3 in the Peak District, I can testify to the value of a garage. Likewise, having been in the Great Lakes region in 1965, when Detroit had 19 inches of snow one night, having our car in the hotel's underground garage was definitely an advantage.

Having the car parked in the open at the factory during the day reinforced that opinion.

The usual problem is when you have a 3 foot snowdrift against the garage door, so you have to dig your way out anyway. We had an 8 inch fall of snow in Sheffield in 1959, which meant that we had to clear the side road as far as the main road in order to get out. No chance of driving through it.

TJH

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » September 11th, 2019, 12:05 pm

I inherited a double garage but with two separate electrically operated doors with a solid pillar between. The daftest idea ever.

Our double garage has a solid pillar between up-and-over doors. i considered whether to remove the pillar but received conflicting advice whether advisable to get a structural engineer's report concerning the roof weight. It was suggested too that the council planners would want to be satisfied as to the structural integrity. To avoid the extra cost and hassle, i opted for removing the framework of each door, thereby widening the gap between pillar and walls by approx 2" either side. Not ideal because the more recent model of the car I had before is wider so i wouldn't be able to get it into the garage.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 11th, 2019, 2:30 pm

brightncheerful wrote:Our double garage has a solid pillar between up-and-over doors. i considered whether to remove the pillar but received conflicting advice whether advisable to get a structural engineer's report concerning the roof weight. It was suggested too that the council planners would want to be satisfied as to the structural integrity.

In my council the planners and the building people are two different groups. The planners are more concerned with how things look whilst the building people are concerned with structural issues and building codes. Sometimes they disagree with each other of course.

I converted an outbuilding into a garage without telling them. It really only required putting in a door but I felt sure the authorities would make me jump through hoops, and I really can't see why the council would care. Since it is at the back of the house and not visible from the road I figured they'd never notice and, so far, they haven't.

The hardstanding outside can store 3 other vehicles. Which vehicle goes in the garage is random and varies.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 11th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Clearly it is a personal choice whether one wishes to put a car in a garage or not. During my life I have had six houses of which five had garages the exception being a Georgian town house in central York. I have never kept my car in any of those garages and can't see me starting now. If we had a cold night and I needed an early start then I would set my car to preheat and defrost the windscreen using my phone app before I got in but have never felt the need.

John

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » September 11th, 2019, 9:04 pm

Yes it's personal choice.

One aspect not touched on so far is one of security......of the property, not the car.

If you leave your car outside its very obvious when it's not there which might signal that your not at home and might attract an opportunist burglar. If you usually put it in the garage......nobody can know for sure if you are in or out.

When we go on holiday we often take a car out of the garage instead of one off the drive.......nobody knows if we are away.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » September 17th, 2019, 9:19 am

redsturgeon wrote:Cars are quite able to cope with being outside on the drive whatever the weather. It saves me much time and effort not having to put the car to bed every night.

John

That depends on the car, and what you use it for.

Our Toyota spent the first decade or so garaged, but has suffered being outside the last 20-ish years to the extent that it needs some major work to remove the rust apprearing.

If you are a serial car swapper or 'buy' one on PHP then leaving it outside is fine, if you tend to keep them a decade or 2 then drying them out regularly is a good idea, not to mention reducing sunlight damage to paint for the +95% of the time it isn't being used.

We are looking for somewhere now and a priority is a triple useable garage for 3 of the cars, and a daily £2k estate can sit outside and rot. Of course inevitably the runabout will become old and then MrsF will want to save that one as well :)

Paul

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”