Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Tyre question

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Tyre question

Postby PrincessB » September 14th, 2019, 2:49 pm

MOT due soon,

One of the rear tyres on the family Swift has a chunk missing from the sidewall, both of the rears look a bit low on tread so I've got a couple of replacement tyres on order.

While on the phone, I asked if they were going to do the swap around, replacing the rears and then swapping the front and rear wheels over so the most tread is at the front and the only lightly worn fronts go to the back.

I was informed that this was not the way things are done and you really want the best tyres at the back. I can't see how this makes sense?

Can anyone confirm if this is the correct?

TIA

B.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tyre question

Postby Breelander » September 14th, 2019, 2:58 pm

PrincessB wrote:I was informed that this was not the way things are done and you really want the best tyres at the back. I can't see how this makes sense?
Can anyone confirm if this is the correct?

Yes, it is counter-intuitive but is correct. For the explanation of why, see here:

https://kumhotyre.co.uk/kumho-news/shou ... t-or-rear/

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Tyre question

Postby bungeejumper » September 15th, 2019, 1:11 pm

A motorway policeman (my cousin) once told me that a rear wheel blow-out was much more likely to kill you than a front-wheel one, especially at speed. Since he had participated in quite a number of forced car stops on the M1 and elsewhere over the years, including the use of stinger strips, I didn't even ask him for the technical explanation!

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”