Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Windscreen frost covers

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Windscreen frost covers

Postby kiloran » September 16th, 2019, 10:29 am

Watis wrote:But bear in mind that, on the coldest winter mornings, the water will run off the car onto the ground, where it may freeze. So be careful not to slip on the ice that forms - your screams may wake the neighbours!
Watis

The car is also a large cold heatsink, so I'd be concerned about the water spreading around and then freezing. Wiper blades, door locks, etc.

I prefer scraping (not even de-icer spray), it's a dry process and no excess water to then potentially freeze.
But I do keep the car in the garage so in reality it's rarely a problem for me.

--kiloran

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » September 16th, 2019, 5:44 pm

I use a 2 litre milk container of warm water which does the all windows. And give the wipers a quick flick so that the ice doesn't reform.

I'm sure all the scrapers on here are fully compliant with the law but how many times does one see a "scraper" peering out of a 6" square hole that they deem sufficient while the rest of the car is frosted over.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » September 17th, 2019, 9:29 am

redsturgeon wrote:Thats why you don't use boiling water, just fill a jug from your hot tap. Never cracked one.

John

I tend to use lukewarm water from a milk carton for the same reason - the trick is to get the water off with a squeegee before it freezes again. I've never cracked one, nor seen anyone crack one and a lot of people used to do the same thing in Plymouth, so I suspect it is something someone did in the late 70s when the bead winters came and word got around it was a dumb idea.

One difference is that in the Deep South the frosts tend to be a lot lighter, and one day a neighbour asked why I always parked outside his house in winter and mine in summer. "Because your side gets the sun first thing and starts to thaw the car".

We've used screen covers, but then they get damp as they thaw and you need to dry them before re-using them.

Paul

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » September 17th, 2019, 6:35 pm

For the last 10 years it wasn't an issue as I had a Ford with a heated windscreen, which supplemented by a quick squirt of de-icer meant I was off and away in 30 seconds.

Before that I used the warm water technique. The only issue I found was if you had a number of days where it stayed below zero all day then there was a risk of the water freezing on the ground.

This year the Ford is gone and replaced with a VW with a non-heated screen, so I will also be trying the screen covers.

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » September 27th, 2019, 11:30 am

I have one of the cheap Lidl windscreen covers, cost around £3-£4, works fine but you’ve still got to do the side windows and rear....

Downside is if it rains then freezes also if you put it in the car and it has frost or ice on it you are just introducing dampness.

I tend to use the warm (not hot) water route for the other windows and that works well except at very low temps ie. around -5 and below when the water can freeze quickly once it has cooled, probably not an issue for a new car with a decent heater and seals but my 15+ year old hatchback has had problems with the water freezing on the window, and in the door.

The good thing about the window cover is that the window is dry.

Bh

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » October 1st, 2019, 8:48 am

bionichamster wrote:
I tend to use the warm (not hot) water route for the other windows and that works well except at very low temps ie. around -5 and below when the water can freeze quickly once it has cooled, probably not an issue for a new car with a decent heater and seals but my 15+ year old hatchback has had problems with the water freezing on the window, and in the door.

Bh

I had forgotten about the 'frozen door' issue - we get that on our old Toyota presumably due to the seals allowing or trapping water between them and the door. A couple of years ago I wiped some silicon grease along the face of the seals which seemed to solve it - I might give it another go tomorrow when it is supposed to be dry down here.

Paul

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”