Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Windscreen frost covers

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Windscreen frost covers

Postby Itsallaguess » September 11th, 2019, 7:12 pm

This winter I'm keen to explore the usefulness of windscreen frost covers for those winter evenings where a deep frost is likely.

Has anyone got any personal experience, good or bad?

Any recommendations that deliver good value?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: Windscreen frost covers

Postby richlist » September 11th, 2019, 8:54 pm

We tried one on a Mercedes A Class about 5 years ago.
Does it work.....yes, BUT......they are a total pain in the a**e to put on every evening (we needed 2 people to do it properly) and to take off in the morning ( you have to find somewhere to put it....in the car ain't an option).

In the end we replaced the car with one that had a heated front screen....Ford, Jaguar & Range Rover have heated front screens.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 11th, 2019, 8:59 pm

I just used to fill a jug with hot (not boiling) water, tip it over the windscreen, job done.

John

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 11th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Thats why you don't use boiling water, just fill a jug from your hot tap. Never cracked one.

John

paradigm
Lemon Pip

Postby paradigm » September 11th, 2019, 9:36 pm

Up in Scotland here, we use a watering can, with a spray rose attached and filled with warm water. Generally takes under 30 seconds to go round the car and defrost all the windows. This is the ideal solution for us.

paradigm

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » September 11th, 2019, 11:05 pm

Snorvey wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:I just used to fill a jug with hot (not boiling) water, tip it over the windscreen, job done.

John

Crack!!!!!!

I've been doing this for near 40 years and haven't had a crack yet ! Just a smug feeling when I drive past people busy scraping away :)

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » September 11th, 2019, 11:40 pm

Of course, putting the car under cover or in a garage will save all the faffing around with jugs of warm water on a cold winters morning........or you could move to Essex where the weather is always better......or perhaps not Essex is already full.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » September 12th, 2019, 8:53 am

I use one, had it 3 years, it has a picture of a polar bear on it to remind me which way up and round it goes. It has elastic loops for fixing to wing mirrors but I secure it by closing in the front doors. Yes it can be a bit of a faff to get neatly fitted but never takes more than a couple of re-positioning and I do it as a one man job. I think mine came from Lidl and it is a bit flimsy and I doubt it'll see me more than a few more seasons as it has ripped along a seem. I do think about modding a couple of magnets to tack in place, in fact I bought the magnets perhaps I'll get my gaffa tape out before the frosts come. You cannot keep it in the car as it brings more moisture into the interior so I pop mine in the porch

My car does occasionally get frozen condensation on the inside so that needs the heaters to clear. Before buying the polar bear or for nights when I've been caught out I use the jug of water but on the coldest days that can re-freeze. I hear newer cars come with a remote start so one can have the heaters on and the car toasty before even getting out of your dressing gown. I will occasionally go and start the car while I'm getting ready.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » September 12th, 2019, 8:56 am

I'm a fan of the warm water technique because it comes with a hidden benefit.

By warming the glass, it keeps condensation on the inside surface of the windscreen at bay until the heater can deliver warm air.

Watis

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » September 12th, 2019, 10:19 am

Itsallaguess wrote:This winter I'm keen to explore the usefulness of windscreen frost covers for those winter evenings where a deep frost is likely.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

and for those people that like to run their car engine and heaters for a few minutes while it's parked on the road-side before they leave for work to defrost everything while they're finishing their coffee in the kitchen, don't be suprised when your insurance company refuses to pay out if your car gets knicked by some opportunist when you've left the keys in the ignition and the engine running....

From my (Aviva) policy (but I guess others won't be dis-similar)
We will not pay for:
(4) loss or damage arising from theft while:
(a) the ignition keys of your vehicle have been left in or on your vehicle.
(b) your vehicle has been left unattended with the engine running.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » September 12th, 2019, 10:41 am

yorkshirelad1 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:This winter I'm keen to explore the usefulness of windscreen frost covers for those winter evenings where a deep frost is likely.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

and for those people that like to run their car engine and heaters for a few minutes while it's parked on the road-side before they leave for work to defrost everything while they're finishing their coffee in the kitchen, don't be suprised when your insurance company refuses to pay out if your car gets knicked by some opportunist when you've left the keys in the ignition and the engine running....

We will not pay for:

and there's the law unnecessarily leaving the engine running on a vehicle parked on the public road is an offence under regulations 98 and 107 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, which reinforces rule 123 of the Highway Code which say
“You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road. Generally, if the vehicle is stationary and is likely to remain so for more than a couple of minutes, you should apply the parking brake and switch off the engine to reduce emissions and noise pollution. However it is permissible to leave the engine running if the vehicle is stationary in traffic or for diagnosing faults.”

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 12th, 2019, 11:48 am

kempiejon wrote:
yorkshirelad1 wrote:

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

We will not pay for:

and there's the law unnecessarily leaving the engine running on a vehicle parked on the public road is an offence under regulations 98 and 107 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, which reinforces rule 123 of the Highway Code which say
“You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road. Generally, if the vehicle is stationary and is likely to remain so for more than a couple of minutes, you should apply the parking brake and switch off the engine to reduce emissions and noise pollution. However it is permissible to leave the engine running if the vehicle is stationary in traffic or for diagnosing faults.”

I have an electric car!

The heaters or air con can be switch on remotely without the car being unlocked or the ignition switched on.

John

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 12th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Snorvey wrote:I have an electric car!

The heaters or air con can be switch on remotely without the car being unlocked or the ignition switched on.

Yes, but by the time you get to the corner shop, you're out and walking the rest of your journey.

LOL...but the car is still plugged in while it is warming up!

You have to try to get to grips with this modern technology. :D

John

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 15th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Just want to say thanks to everyone who's offered advice on the windscreen-frost issue.

Unfortunately changing cars or moving to Essex isn't practical at this moment in time, so I think I might try the warm-water routine this winter, and see how I get on. I admit that I too thought that regularly putting such thermal-strain on a car windscreen could cause issues, but it seems that there's enough people here that have done it without any issues that I will give it a go this winter.

Thanks again - I'll let you know how I get on if and when we have any hard frosts.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » September 15th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:...so I think I might try the warm-water routine this winter, and see how I get on. I admit that I too thought that regularly putting such thermal-strain on a car windscreen could cause issues, but it seems that there's enough people here that have done it without any issues that I will give it a go this winter.

I find cold water works fine, and I'd assume reduces even further any risk of thermal shock.

I fill the kettle with water from the cold tap. As there is usually a bit of warm or hot water in the kettle it means that what I'm putting on the screen isn't quite as cold as the water from the tap, but it's not what you would call warm.

Staffordian

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » September 15th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Just want to say thanks to everyone who's offered advice on the windscreen-frost issue.
... so I think I might try the warm-water routine this winter, and see how I get on. I admit that I too thought that regularly putting such thermal-strain on a car windscreen could cause issues, but it seems that there's enough people here that have done it without any issues that I will give it a go this winter.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

When driving commercial vehicles - parked with no access to warm water - I used the previous day's newspaper rolled into 'spills' and lit. These vehicles had vertical windscreens and just the warming of air close-by was enough to clear the screen (of ice) but was a bit messy tho'

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » September 16th, 2019, 9:29 am

Itsallaguess wrote:Just want to say thanks to everyone who's offered advice on the windscreen-frost issue.

Unfortunately changing cars or moving to Essex isn't practical at this moment in time, so I think I might try the warm-water routine this winter, and see how I get on. I admit that I too thought that regularly putting such thermal-strain on a car windscreen could cause issues, but it seems that there's enough people here that have done it without any issues that I will give it a go this winter.

Thanks again - I'll let you know how I get on if and when we have any hard frosts.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

For me, warm means body temperature or thereabouts, so I consider the thermal shock to be less than that from washing a car with hot water on a crisp April morning - and no-one ever worries about thermal shock in those circumstances!

Watis

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 16th, 2019, 10:01 am

Watis wrote:
For me, warm means body temperature or thereabouts, so I consider the thermal shock to be less than that from washing a car with hot water on a crisp April morning - and no-one ever worries about thermal shock in those circumstances!

Thanks Waits - that makes sense. I'll try to use warm water rather than anything too hot, and even if I need to make a couple of quick trips then it will still be better than my usual scraping routines on those really cold mornings that we sometimes have in the UK.

I should probably have mentioned in my initial post that on work days I'm a very early starter, so a large part of this issue for me is to help avoid making too much noise in the early mornings, as I don't want to wake any neighbours up with any unnecessary noise if it's at all possible.

I park my car on my drive, so I'm concious that any noise I make at such a time is likely to be unhelpful to others, so a couple of soaks with some warm water does seem like a good solution to this issue for me.

Thanks again to all the helpful advice given on this thread.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » September 16th, 2019, 10:21 am

Itsallaguess wrote:I'll try to use warm water rather than anything too hot, and even if I need to make a couple of quick trips then it will still be better than my usual scraping routines on those really cold mornings that we sometimes have in the UK.

Itsallaguess

A watering can with a rose works well. If you fill the can before you retire for the night and leave it somewhere fairly warm you may find it is warm enough without needing recourse to the hot tap and is ready for use.

RC

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » September 16th, 2019, 10:22 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Watis wrote:

Thanks Waits - that makes sense. I'll try to use warm water rather than anything too hot, and even if I need to make a couple of quick trips then it will still be better than my usual scraping routines on those really cold mornings that we sometimes have in the UK.

I should probably have mentioned in my initial post that on work days I'm a very early starter, so a large part of this issue for me is to help avoid making too much noise in the early mornings, as I don't want to wake any neighbours up with any unnecessary noise if it's at all possible.

I park my car on my drive, so I'm concious that any noise I make at such a time is likely to be unhelpful to others, so a couple of soaks with some warm water does seem like a good solution to this issue for me.

Thanks again to all the helpful advice given on this thread.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

My method of applying the warm water is to use an indoor watering can so it's quite silent.

But bear in mind that, on the coldest winter mornings, the water will run off the car onto the ground, where it may freeze. So be careful not to slip on the ice that forms - your screams may wake the neighbours!

Watis

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”