Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Look, it really isn't that hard

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Look, it really isn't that hard

Postby MonsterMork » September 27th, 2019, 9:42 pm

to know when your MoT is due:

1 - the expiry date is printed on the certificate you were given when the vehicle last passed a test

2 - you can find out online when it is due from this website courtesy of the DVSA

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

3 - you can sign up with a free reminder service operated by the DVSA, who will email you or send text messages

https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder

4 - some garages and test stations (not many, but they are out there) will call or text their customers with a reminder in the weeks approaching the due date

5 - those of us who subscribe to the print edition of Luddites Monthly can make a note on the calender hanging on the kitchen wall :D

So why do I bring this up? On the same day this week I had three vehicles presented for testing with timing issues. One was five months early :? , one seven and a half months early :o And the third? Some six months late :roll:

Come on people, it ain't rocket science*

MM

*rocket powered vehicles ain't allowed on the roads, see, can't go emitting sparks and/or flames on Her Majesty's highway :lol:

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Re: Look, it really isn't that hard

Postby MonsterMork » September 28th, 2019, 11:43 am

And just to reinforce the message a customer came in this morning complaining that they have had a letter from the boys in blue saying their ticket had run out. Tappety tappety on the pooter and yes, last MoT has indeed expired. At the beginning of December last year :roll:

I would imagine the customer has probably received an invoice for a large sum of money as well ……

MM

ps: In the interests of full disclosure, yes, I too was similarly nailed some twenty six years ago (though it was only a few days late in my case) :oops:

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » October 1st, 2019, 8:56 am

MonsterMork wrote:And just to reinforce the message a customer came in this morning complaining that they have had a letter from the boys in blue saying their ticket had run out. Tappety tappety on the pooter and yes, last MoT has indeed expired. At the beginning of December last year :roll:

I blame continuous VED. For many years Tax and MOT usually ran out together - we would MOT the car just before renewing the tax so the VED reminder was useful.

Then VED stopped being transferred with the car, and they got out of synch. Often the 'reminder' people get for their MOT is when the VED application is rejected.

The problem with the phone reminder is you can only have 2 cars on each phone.

Paul

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 1st, 2019, 4:57 pm

DrFfybes wrote:The problem with the phone reminder is you can only have 2 cars on each phone.

I would have thought having more cars than phones was a problem.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 1st, 2019, 7:37 pm

MoT? What's one of those?

(60's classic owner)

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » October 1st, 2019, 10:01 pm

DrFfybes wrote:I blame continuous VED. For many years Tax and MOT usually ran out together - we would MOT the car just before renewing the tax so the VED reminder was useful.

Then VED stopped being transferred with the car, and they got out of synch. Often the 'reminder' people get for their MOT is when the VED application is rejected.

Paul

Agreed. It can be helpful when car dealers sell their motors with a brand spanking new fresh ticket, as some do, but as you point out those who don't can lead to the customer getting into a right pickle at times.

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » October 1st, 2019, 10:06 pm

Breelander wrote:MoT? What's one of those?

(60's classic owner)

You may remember it starting out as the Ten Year Test :lol:

And I'm sure as a responsible classic owner you are well aware that you are still allowed to present for a test should you so desire ;)

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 1st, 2019, 10:38 pm

MonsterMork wrote:You may remember it starting out as the Ten Year Test :lol:

No, not quite. By the time I started driving testing was already from 3 years...

And I'm sure as a responsible classic owner you are well aware that you are still allowed to present for a test should you so desire ;)

Of course. In fact, I when I had Minis in my youth I always checked them over myself before presenting for a test, repairing anything that didn't meet my standards. I don't recall them ever failing an actual MoT.

For Minis, at least, I think I know all the likely failure points. I have given myself an 'advisory' on this current Mk1 for 'Offside Front Lower Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint' which I will be fixing before getting it back on the road next spring. With the first 'salting' of winter likely soon it's currently off the road and garaged ;)

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » October 2nd, 2019, 9:40 am

Assuming someone has a car that is too old to need an MOT test but they have one anyway. What happens if it fails? Are they allowed to drive it on the road anyway or is off the road until repaired?

I accept they would be idiotic to drive an unsafe vehicle but would it actually be an offence to drive a vehicle that has failed an MOT rather than an offence of driving an unsafe vehicle? Splitting hairs a bit I know

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 2nd, 2019, 9:57 am

sg31 wrote:Assuming someone has a car that is too old to need an MOT test but they have one anyway. What happens if it fails? Are they allowed to drive it on the road anyway or is off the road until repaired?

I accept they would be idiotic to drive an unsafe vehicle but would it actually be an offence to drive a vehicle that has failed an MOT rather than an offence of driving an unsafe vehicle? Splitting hairs a bit I know

The new classifications of dangerous/major/minor defects probably comes into play here.

Scott.

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » October 2nd, 2019, 8:46 pm

sg31 wrote:Assuming someone has a car that is too old to need an MOT test but they have one anyway. What happens if it fails? Are they allowed to drive it on the road anyway or is off the road until repaired?

Nope, once a test is carried out the MoT rules come into effect, like Scott says, irrespective of whether the vehicle is exempt or not. Dangerous/Major/Minor rules apply until such time as the dangerous/major defects are rectified, any or all of the minors if you so desire, and the vehicle has been retested and passed. And yes, you would still risk prosecution for the offences of not only driving an unsafe vehicle, but also knowingly doing so.

The clock then gets reset once the ticket runs out, so should you wish to not have a test 12 months later you may carry on regardless. As long as the rules haven't changed in the meantime! And, obviously, your vehicle is still safe ....

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » October 3rd, 2019, 9:14 am

MonsterMork wrote:

Nope, once a test is carried out the MoT rules come into effect, like Scott says, irrespective of whether the vehicle is exempt or not. Dangerous/Major/Minor rules apply until such time as the dangerous/major defects are rectified, any or all of the minors if you so desire, and the vehicle has been retested and passed. And yes, you would still risk prosecution for the offences of not only driving an unsafe vehicle, but also knowingly doing so.

The clock then gets reset once the ticket runs out, so should you wish to not have a test 12 months later you may carry on regardless. As long as the rules haven't changed in the meantime! And, obviously, your vehicle is still safe ....

Thanks. I don't have a classic car but if I did I think I would still have it tested each year just to be sure it's not going to kill me. Even if it is very low mileage you can't be sure something hasn't perished while sitting in a garage.

I have been tempted a few times by early 60's cars but I've managed to resist the temptation thanks to an occasional ride in a mates split screen VW camper. Very nostalgic but I don't feel comfortable when my knees are designated as a crumple zone.

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » October 4th, 2019, 7:12 pm

sg31 wrote: I don't have a classic car but if I did I think I would still have it tested each year just to be sure it's not going to kill me.....

....... I've managed to resist the temptation ..... knees are designated as a crumple zone.

Very sensible, and thankfully the majority of classic owners follow suit and get their motors tested.

Could I tempt sir with a nice Land Rover Series 2A? No crumple zone required :lol:

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » October 4th, 2019, 7:26 pm

MonsterMork wrote:
Very sensible, and thankfully the majority of classic owners follow suit and get their motors tested.

Could I tempt sir with a nice Land Rover Series 2A? No crumple zone required :lol:

Don't tempt me. I've been itching to have a Land Rover for as long as I can remember. Since moving to the country the itch has become worse. My sensible side (the wife) stops me from taking the plunge. The prices have become prohibitive as well since production ended.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » October 6th, 2019, 5:59 pm

I see in the press this week that 1/3 of vehicles presented are failing the MOT.

Does MM know how this compares to the previous system as that is something I can't find online?

Thanks

Paul

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » October 7th, 2019, 8:09 am

DrFfybes wrote:I see in the press this week that 1/3 of vehicles presented are failing the MOT.

Does MM know how this compares to the previous system as that is something I can't find online?

Paul

Previous system? I presume you mean before 20 May 2018, when the new diesel emissions limits came in, along with a few other changes?

Latest data set is available here for overall stats, then go further down the page for split into category:

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... at-britain

And yes, one third is about right :o Main web page for DVSA is here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... rds-agency

And for roadside checks from DVSA, rather than MoT stations (they don't only pull over wagons you kow):

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... sv/preview

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » October 8th, 2019, 10:02 am

MonsterMork wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:I see in the press this week that 1/3 of vehicles presented are failing the MOT.

Paul

Previous system? I presume you mean before 20 May 2018, when the new diesel emissions limits came in, along with a few other changes?

Latest data set is available here for overall stats, then go further down the page for split into category:

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... at-britain

And yes, one third is about right :o

Scary that even after 'minors' are repaired, failure final failure rate is still about 25%, and over 30% for LGV.

Even more scary is that the failure rate in brakes is 3x that of emissions even under the new system, and I am surprised that the emissions rate didn't seem to spike under the new regs as all the modified systems got rejected. Mined ewe the number of Barried up diesels around here belching black clouds under acceleration suggests they are not being checked properly.

Paul

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 8th, 2019, 2:18 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Scary that even after 'minors' are repaired, failure final failure rate is still about 25%, and over 30% for LGV.

Horrific proportion of brake-related fails and tyre fails. And worse still on motorbikes! How can this be happening?

Harrumph, my Toyota got a fail last month because they said the driver's side wiper wasn't clearing properly. And both sides had been changed only a month previously!

The MOT was at the local Toyota main dealer, where I was also having a big service done that day. They said that they'd tried to phone me on my mobile when they found the prob with the wiper, and that if they'd been able to talk to me they could have replaced it at once and they wouldn't have had to fail the car. Sadly, my phone was out of battery, so a fail it was. :|

Small consolation: full dealer service and MOT came to only £225, so they weren't exactly robbing me. But still....

BJ

production100
2 Lemon pips

Postby production100 » October 8th, 2019, 4:52 pm

The MOT was at the local Toyota main dealer, where I was also having a big service done that day. They said that they'd tried to phone me on my mobile when they found the prob with the wiper, and that if they'd been able to talk to me they could have replaced it at once and they wouldn't have had to fail the car.

What appalling service. Any sensible dealer would have changed the wiper blade anyway to avoid the charge for a fail and the need for a re-test. I would have had a few words with them if they had done that to me and would never have used them again.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 8th, 2019, 5:02 pm

production100 wrote:What appalling service. Any sensible dealer would have changed the wiper blade anyway to avoid the charge for a fail and the need for a re-test.

If there'd been a charge for a fail (or rather, for a re-test), then I'd have been right there with you. ;) But garages can't charge for a re-test as long as the interval hasn't been more than ten working days. So the only injury in this case was to my pride. Still annoyed, though.

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”