Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

What would give a more refined drive than a Seat Ateca?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

What would give a more refined drive than a Seat Ateca?

Postby Clariman » October 24th, 2019, 10:27 pm

I'm not one for paying for a 'brand's, least of all with cars. When I bought my Seat Ateca it was the leading car in its class, was good value and I really like it. However the road noise sometimes annoys me (I like listening to clasdical music when I drive) and it does feel the bumps in the road a bit.

What similar cars would be quieter and perhaps less road impact?

Thanks
Clariman

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: What would give a more refined drive than a Seat Ateca?

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 24th, 2019, 11:22 pm

Clariman wrote:I'm not one for paying for a 'brand's, least of all with cars. When I bought my Seat Ateca it was the leading car in its class, was good value and I really like it. However the road noise sometimes annoys me (I like listening to clasdical music when I drive) and it does feel the bumps in the road a bit.

What similar cars would be quieter and perhaps less road impact?

Thanks
Clariman

Brands?

I'd suggest

1. John Deere
  2. Massey Ferguson
  3. Case

Trust me you'll feel no bumps as they traverse the road ;)

Could be that you hear the road more because of the profile of the tyre or the amount of sound insulation between the engine compartment and the driving space? Just a quick suggest - check your tyre pressures and see if they are set to the correct "loading".

Noting I am as deaf as a wall - so can buy even cheaper cars than you :shock: . Tee hee (my bad :lol: )

AiY

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 25th, 2019, 9:06 am

I think that Seat is known as the "sportier" end of the VAG, probably with harder suspension and lower profile tyres than say the equivalent VW or Skoda.

Pay closer attention to tyre choice for the quietest and smoothest ride avoid the low profile/bigger wheel combinations and run flats. Citroen used to be known for their smooth ride (even post hydraulic suspension) but I'd hesitate to recommend them otherwise although the DS models look interesting.

For the ultimate quiet ride perhaps an electric car is worth looking at.

John

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 25th, 2019, 9:07 am

Odd, the Ateca doesn't usually get flagged up as road-noisy, unless you've got the 19 inch rims (naaaaaaah?) or perhaps the one litre engine driving the front wheels only. Could it be that you're just driving it a bit more enthusiastically than you used to? :twisted: Or maybe you've got a bag of spanners rolling around the car somewhere? "Road noise" can often be caused by stuff stored in the most unlikely of places.

Couldn't add much to https://www.atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1595 . Would certainly agree that tyre type, pressure and tread condition can make a hell of a difference to road noise, especially on the fronts. I'd also try fitting a set of mud flaps (the very thin modern ones), to see whether you can reduce the amount of grit hitting your floor pan from underneath. Worked a treat on my Toyota.

BJ

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » October 25th, 2019, 10:06 am

I have an Ateca with the 1.4 litre turbocharged petrol engine. Apart from the 6 cylinder 3 litre petrol Merc 350TE I once had its by far the quietist most refined car I have ever owned. Yes, there is a low level of tyre noise but you hear it because you cant usually hear the engine at all? I am mystified by your comment? Terrific car, I will keep it for many years.

Answer to your question, probably a Roller...

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » October 25th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Thanks all. The engine is indeed quiet. I was referring to the road noise from tyres on some road surfaces. I have the 18 inch alloys with 1.4 engine. To be fair, the front tyres were quite worn but I've just replaced them. I'll pay more attention on my next longer journey.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”