Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Fancy plate

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Fancy plate

Postby bungeejumper » October 3rd, 2019, 5:57 pm

Seen yesterday. Some people have all the fun. :D

BJ

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Fancy plate

Postby swill453 » October 3rd, 2019, 8:28 pm

Looks in not bad nick for a 13 year old car.

Scott.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » October 3rd, 2019, 9:21 pm

Doesn't really do it does it ?
That registration is a poor man's attempt at trying, somewhat cheaply, to emulate the guy driving around with S70 LEN

While we are at it lets also point out the the plate is illegal as there needs to be a space between the 0 & L.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 4th, 2019, 8:52 am

richlist wrote:While we are at it lets also point out the the plate is illegal as there needs to be a space between the 0 & L.

There are a whole bunch of things wrong with the plate. Not least, that the t has been produced by mounting a yellow cover cap in a place where it obscures a numeral. (Naughty, because it's presumably intended to confuse an ANPR camera.)

For that matter, I can't see the numberplate issuer's postcode on the plate, which would make it a 'display plate' and not road-legal. Mind you, I had one of those on a Ford Focus for five years, during which it successfully passed five MOTs. (I ordered it online without checking - whoops, my bad.) :?

The car is an M6 coupe, which IIRC has close to 600 bhp. Think I'd probably rather ride the quad bike, TBH.

BJ

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » October 4th, 2019, 2:06 pm

bungeejumper wrote:the t has been produced by mounting a yellow cover cap in a place where it obscures a numeral. (Naughty, because it's presumably intended to confuse an ANPR camera.)

Well more fool the owner then. When it actually does get 's40len' the police won't be able to track it on ANPR. :lol:

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » October 4th, 2019, 2:19 pm

richlist wrote:That registration is a poor man's attempt at trying, somewhat cheaply, to emulate the guy driving around with S70 LEN

I think that one may have already gone missing:

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 4th, 2019, 5:13 pm

LOL, if a £100K car goes missing and it hasn't got a tracker or two fitted, then numberplate recognition is going to be a decidedly last-ditch gamble anyway. :lol:

PinkDalek wrote:I think that one [S70LEN] may have already gone missing:

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

You have to play with the permutations (is it an O or a zero, and was that initial S really a 5?), but the one in my photo eventually turns out to be correctly listed. I do remember seeing the missing S70LEN many years ago, in Buckinghamshire. If memory serves, it was on a Bugatti Veyron.

BJ

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » October 4th, 2019, 7:02 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
richlist wrote:While we are at it lets also point out the the plate is illegal as there needs to be a space between the 0 & L.

There are a whole bunch of things wrong with the plate. Not least, that the t has been produced by mounting a yellow cover cap in a place where it obscures a numeral. (Naughty, because it's presumably intended to confuse an ANPR camera.)

For that matter, I can't see the numberplate issuer's postcode on the plate, which would make it a 'display plate' and not road-legal. Mind you, I had one of those on a Ford Focus for five years, during which it successfully passed five MOTs. (I ordered it online without checking - whoops, my bad.) :?

The car is an M6 coupe, which IIRC has close to 600 bhp. Think I'd probably rather ride the quad bike, TBH.

BJ

Correct, deliberately disguising/altering by use of dodgily placed wrong coloured mounting screws (or other means) of the number plate is an MoT fail.

Incorrect, there is no longer a requirement for a BS number or manufacturers post code on a number plate.

You can find the MoT regs for number plates on cars here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... he-vehicle

TesterMork

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » March 1st, 2020, 10:21 pm

Incorrect, there is no longer a requirement for a BS number or manufacturers post code on a number plate.

You can find the MoT regs for number plates on cars here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... he-vehicle

TesterMork[/quote]

That's good. But try and buy number plates from an online supplier and they tell you they include this information on their plates to comply with government regulations.

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » March 5th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Mike88 wrote:
That's good. But try and buy number plates from an online supplier and they tell you they include this information on their plates to comply with government regulations.

Fair point, although they are still freely available without looking too hard ;) My guess is that the suppliers who put all the info on are trying to comply with construction and use regulations, which do not necessarily always tally with MoT requirements. As previously mentioned, from a purely MoT point of view the extraneous info is no longer testable - this from the testers manual:

You do not need to inspect the following items:
the supplier’s name
postcode
BS number
logos or emblems outside the minimum margin around the registration number

MM

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 5th, 2020, 2:25 pm

MonsterMork wrote:... deliberately disguising/altering by use of dodgily placed wrong coloured mounting screws (or other means) of the number plate is an MoT fail.

Not an issue for the owner at the moment. It's currently just a rather expensive garden ornament. It's been put on SORN, presumably after the MoT expired in mid-February. :D

No mention of the number plate in it's MoT history though....

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”