Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Winter Tyres in the UK. A good idea? Practicalities

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Re: Winter Tyres in the UK. A good idea? Practicalities

Postby Clariman » February 27th, 2020, 7:04 pm

Having bought the Bridgestone Turanza T001 tyres for front wheels last October they have performed well. However, this morning I returned from the supermarket during a heavy snow shower and skidded going round a roundabout. It was a brief but heavy shower (was dry when I left the house) - and I was really surprised by the skid. I wasn't going fast. Perhaps these tyres aren't much cop in winter. If you don't hear from me ever again, it could be because I am about to drive up through Perthshire tonight and back tomorrow evening. That said, I don't think the snow is too bad tonight.

Clariman

Hypster
Lemon Slice

Postby Hypster » February 27th, 2020, 10:46 pm

Thanks for reporting back with feedback.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 27th, 2020, 10:52 pm

Arrived safely. No snow tonight.

BT63
Lemon Slice

Postby BT63 » February 28th, 2020, 7:44 pm

I think winter tyres are only suitable for the coldest, snowiest parts of the UK - mostly high ground in the North and West.

For the rest of us at lower levels, true all-season tyres make a lot of sense.
Normal tyres (technically called 'summer tyres') are optimal between about 15-30'C.
Winters are optimal around and below freezing.
All-season tyres are optimal between about 0-15'C.

I run all-season tyres (Michelin Cross Climate+) on one of my cars.
They make a huge difference to grip and confidence on cold roads, especially when the road is cold+wet or cold+greasy or cold+muddy. Don't knock them until you've tried them.

The 'wet grip' rating awarded to tyres is performed in warm wet conditions and has zero correlation with how the tyres will perform on colder roads where their rubber hardens and loses its ability to mould to the road surface for grip.
A recent independent test showed that A-rated Continental Premium Contact 6 were inferior to B-rated Michelin Cross Climate+ on a wet road below 15'C, with the difference being considerable at low-single-digit temperatures.

Oh, snow?
Yes, all season tyres with their aggressive tread pattern are pretty good at dealing with that, too.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » February 28th, 2020, 8:58 pm

Something to consider is winter wheels as well as tyres, if you have a car with low profile tyres you may benefit (or may be forced) to use a smaller wheel with higher profile tyres.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 29th, 2020, 9:54 am

Snorvey wrote:Winter tyres? Pfft. Bunch of fairies.

They don't need winter tyres. The ppointed end of the pin they dance on gives good grip.

Oh, and they can fly.

Paul

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 29th, 2020, 10:12 am

I've been reading the posts about grip, feel, confidence, etc, and I realised that unless the tyres were completely diabolical in the wet like the 5 year old Kumho ditchfinders the MR2 came with, I rarely notice the difference between tyres in poor conditions in a car.

On bikes it is different, you rely much more on them and feel every twitch, but even in the Z4 I didin't really notice grip differences between the Pilot Sports and thr Pirellis.

In the Carina it is a different matter, there are only budget tyres available, and Summer tyres seem to be the only option in 185/60 R13. We use it all year round, and again don't have grip issues in the cold or wet. In the snow the narrow tyres make it better than a lot of modern 4x4s, assuming they have some tread on them.

In the Carina we've also noticed how many people seem to hurtle around roundabouts these days or rush up to junctions braking hard at the last few yards compared to the past - oddly enough not something that is as apparent in the Z4 :)

Which makes me think.... modern cars have much more ability then 20 years ago, the Corsa we hired last week was very planted such thet MrsF felt she was being thrown around far more than normal although I didn't notice. On wet twisty country roads we used to waft along at 50 ish and be the norm, these days 60-70 is not unusual as large saloons are as capable as the sports cars from a few years ago.

Whereas suspension and power used to be a big limiting factor in performance, now it is tyre grip, and drivers just seem to be exploring it further.

Paul

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 29th, 2020, 10:41 am

Clariman wrote:Having bought the Bridgestone Turanza T001 tyres for front wheels last October they have performed well. However, this morning I returned from the supermarket during a heavy snow shower and skidded going round a roundabout. It was a brief but heavy shower (was dry when I left the house) - and I was really surprised by the skid. I wasn't going fast. Perhaps these tyres aren't much cop in winter. If you don't hear from me ever again, it could be because I am about to drive up through Perthshire tonight and back tomorrow evening. That said, I don't think the snow is too bad tonight.

Clariman

What sort of skid was it, understeer, oversteer or four wheel drift?

Was power on or were you braking.

What tyres are on the rear?

John

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » February 29th, 2020, 11:21 am

The present car, Toyota Avensis was originally fitted with Bridgestone Tourenzas. Now I don’t like Bridgestone – don’t really know why unless it was to do with the last m/c I had or the rubbish tyre life of the Focus I had. Anyway, the Avensis was ok, quiet and reasonable life.

Eventually they wore out so I replaced them with Michelin Energy Savers – no noticeable difference in any respect.

Then, I replaced the fronts with Cross-Climates and on the first bit of snow deliberately tried to provoke a braking skid. Ok it was slightly downhill, speed was perhaps 10mph and there was no-one else around. The car pulled up in a dead straight line when I expected, and was prepared for, a slight sideways skid.

I now have Cross-Climates all round. I have a suspicion that fron life is somewhat reduced but not enough to make a difference. I have also got increased tyre noise, so much so that I asked my garageman to have a look – nothing wrong with the car. So I’m sticking with them.

Incidently, I noticed some time ago that Honest John recommended reducing the pressures by 2 or 3 psi to reduce tyre noise (I think). Now as it happens, the local Toyota dealer also recommends reducing by 2 psi regardless of the handbook etc, so maybe there is something in it.

ten0rman

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 29th, 2020, 11:44 am

redsturgeon wrote:
Clariman wrote:Having bought the Bridgestone Turanza T001 tyres for front wheels last October they have performed well. However, this morning I returned from the supermarket during a heavy snow shower and skidded going round a roundabout. It was a brief but heavy shower (was dry when I left the house) - and I was really surprised by the skid. I wasn't going fast. Perhaps these tyres aren't much cop in winter. If you don't hear from me ever again, it could be because I am about to drive up through Perthshire tonight and back tomorrow evening. That said, I don't think the snow is too bad tonight.

Clariman

John

All good questions. Actually I think it may have been the back wheels that lost grip as I turned, because they came round. I then steered into the skid and it took a while to get sorted. I wonder if the front then went?

To be honest I can't remember. The roundabout had an overpass above it so there was no snow under the underpass but I then emerged into it.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 29th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Clariman wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

Clariman

John

All good questions. Actually I think it may have been the back wheels that lost grip as I turned, because they came round. I then steered into the skid and it took a while to get sorted. I wonder if the front then went?

To be honest I can't remember. The roundabout had an overpass above it so there was no snow under the underpass but I then emerged into it.

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/car-tyres

You should generally have the best/grippiest tyres on the back of a front wheel drive car.

John

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 29th, 2020, 1:40 pm

Rear tyres are Falken Azenis with a decent tread left.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 29th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Clariman wrote:Rear tyres are Falken Azenis with a decent tread left.

I assume that is a summer tyre.

John

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 29th, 2020, 1:59 pm

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 29th, 2020, 1:59 pm

redsturgeon wrote:

John

It appears to be. I think it may be what was on the car to start with.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 29th, 2020, 2:03 pm

Clariman wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

John

It appears to be. I think it may be what was on the car to start with.

Watch the video.

John

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 12th, 2020, 10:12 am

Hello all. It's me back on about Winter Tyres. Since last winter I bought a new car. Same make and model but this one has 19" alloys and wide tyres - Seat Ateca Xcellence Lux if you want to check out the tech side of it.

First snow of the season last week and I could not get the car to grip outside on the street. When I reverse off the drive, our local road has a slight rising slope to it before I get to the top. It is all down hill from there and all the local main roads are fine. My problem is the road I live on. I've had problems before but I usually get going by reversing back, if need be, to a flatter bit of the road and then getting a short run at it and make sure I am in as high a gear as I can. None of that worked in this car last week. That really troubles me.

So I think I will put winter tyres on it and hope that makes the difference. Car is front wheel drive (not the 4WD model). Local garage said to just put the winter tyres on the drive wheel. My son (a bit of a car geek) said put them all round. I see from previous discussion here that Redsturgeon said put them on the back if a front wheel drive.

The other option is to get a 4WD drive but this car is only 9 months old and only just hit 2,000 miles yesterday! :roll:

Any advice appreciated.

Clariman

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 12th, 2020, 11:09 am

Clariman wrote:First snow of the season last week and I could not get the car to grip outside on the street. When I reverse off the drive, our local road has a slight rising slope to it before I get to the top. It is all down hill from there and all the local main roads are fine. My problem is the road I live on. I've had problems before but I usually get going by reversing back, if need be, to a flatter bit of the road and then getting a short run at it and make sure I am in as high a gear as I can. None of that worked in this car last week. That really troubles me.

Having scanned through the thread, most (if not all) opinions seem to be from posters who appear not to have actually switched from summer to winter tyres on the same vehicle and used both in snow for a direct comparison. I have done exactly this a couple of times now and can report the improvement in grip with winters is truly phenomenal. My more or less undriveable-on-snow Mercedes Vito van is transformed with winter tyres, and drives on snow with so much grip I can almost kid myself I'm on tarmac.

After changing the van for a newer one, and driving it in snow I once again got stuck repeatedly and was completely defeated a few years back by a slope in Daventry town centre. I immediately bought a set of winter tyres and gingerly risked that slope again and just drove straight up it with no wheel slip whatsoever. I am a total convert to winter tyres, I find them wonderful.

On the first van I'd bought a spare set of wheels too so I could swap back to normal most of the year but on the second, I didn't bother. The wear rate on winter tyres in summer seems no different from normal tyres, nor does the grip. I can't really understand why all tyres are not made from 'winter' rubber.

Now I'm on my third Vito and at the first hint of snowfall, I'll be getting a set of "M+S" (mud and snow) rated tyres* fitted once again, as they'll allow me to carry on working. (Apart from hills on un-gritted side roads, the main problem with snow is when getting off the road to park at a destination. As soon as my tyres compact any fresh snow, all grip vanishes and I'm stuck there.)

* 'Winter" tyres seems to be a bit of a loose term. The tyres I've been getting are designated and badged "M+S" in particular. I think they were Goodyear brand on the last van.

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » December 12th, 2020, 11:37 am

Like some others up-thread have mentioned, I run all-season tyres (CrossClimates; other good 'uns available also) rather than swapping from summer to winter.

Get a bit of snow where I live, and although I've not driven in it that much with the CrossClimates, when I have done they've been very good. I watched a plumber (not Mike4, obviously) abandon his unsuitably-shod 4x4 at the bottom of my hill and begin walking up while much to his surprise I was able to drive down and back up again without any issue.

They also seem to perform well in the wet, and wet is what it seems to be for much of the year, or at least that part of the year that isn't spent in heatwave/drought.

I'd strongly recommend some high quality all-seasons as a first step, unless you get a defined and clearly demarked winter "snow season", as you get much (but clearly not all) of the benefit of winter tyres but without any hassle of swapsies plus the benefit of top-notch all-year-round wet and cooler weather performance.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » December 12th, 2020, 12:26 pm

My car (front wheel drive) was equipped with low-profile Continental Contact tyres and they were rubbish in the snow, and bit slippy when pulling away in the wet.

When it was time to replace the front tyres, I tried Michelin CrossClimate all-weather tyres. Probably not as good as winter tyres, but certainly a dramatic improvement.

--kiloran

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”