Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Theftski

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Theftski

Postby Clitheroekid » November 27th, 2019, 6:54 pm

I've never been able to understand the logic of keyless entry, but it's alarming no pun intended) to see how absurdly easy it is to break into a very expensive car with the assistance of one of Mr Putin's subjects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9FaM36 ... e=emb_logo

I can't help thinking that the manufacturers are actually quite happy for this to happen, as every stolen car is potentially another sale.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Theftski

Postby supremetwo » November 27th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Very common - highlighted in our local crime-watch email today.
A grey, BMW 630i, index xxxxxx, keyless car stolen from the drive way.

Keyless car fobs, must be protected at all times.
Please keep them in one of those credit card protected carry cases, when not in use.
At home, they must be at least 30 feet from the pavement outside / front door.
Thieves have devices, they can use outside your home, to locate and copy the signal, but the range is limited.
They can then transfer the code, to an electronic device, which the car believes is the key fob and unlocks the car.
The device is then connected to the car, via the diagnostic scart socket, under the steering wheel.
The car starts and can be driven away.
We have video doorbell footage of thieves doing this. They have two devices. One holds up a circular piece of wire, that acts as a an aerial, which picks up the signal. The other has the device which copies the signal and fools the car.

It is very simple to prevent this, by placing the key fob in a protective metal container.
A fridge, is just as good !!!

How long before insurers disclaim liability if you cannot prove that you have protected the 'key'?

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 28th, 2019, 7:56 am

supremetwo wrote:Very common - highlighted in our local crime-watch email today.

It is very simple to prevent this, by placing the key fob in a protective metal container.
A fridge, is just as good !!!

I suspect that keeping the key in the fridge overnight will not be good for the battery though :)

(Also, 30ft from the car, rather than from the pavement/front door would make more sense)

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 28th, 2019, 8:20 am

chas49 wrote:(Also, 30ft from the car, rather than from the pavement/front door would make more sense)

No, the video implies that the thief's box of tricks communicates with the key. The distance from the car is not relevant for that stage of the operation.

Scott.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 28th, 2019, 10:19 am

Clitheroekid wrote:I've never been able to understand the logic of keyless entry, but it's alarming no pun intended) to see how absurdly easy it is to break into a very expensive car with the assistance of one of Mr Putin's subjects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9FaM36 ... e=emb_logo

I can't help thinking that the manufacturers are actually quite happy for this to happen, as every stolen car is potentially another sale.

I think it is actually a car insurance comparison sites that want it to happen, hence they use the same voiceover artist as in their adverts.

Paul

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”