Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Car Battery ID, update

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Car Battery ID, update

Postby gnawsome » December 10th, 2019, 2:40 pm

For the interest of those who kindly showed interest and suggestions, the problem is now sorted.
The solenoid stuck and thus a 'non-runner' situation.
Got a tow-start and put it to a local garage for a replacement starter.
Problem cured and I'm well pleased. But just a little puzzled how several experienced mechanics could have failed to suggest it as a problem.
I've experienced different cranking speeds with various vehicles but wasn't aware of how fast a diesel Focus should turn.
I'd also noticed that this car had a replacement starter 2~3 years before I got it and the rate of turn hasn't changed much in the time I've had it.
The £20 battery from the scrappy is entirely adequate and I will leave in situ - also the one on the bench and the slave in the boot (belt and braces).
Just so nice to have a motor ready and willing to go...

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Car Battery ID, update

Postby bungeejumper » December 10th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Ah, the good old days (early 1980s in my case), when you carried a lump of wood around in your Mini so that you could give the Bendix a good whack whenever the starter jammed. The point being that if you hit it with a big spanner instead you might shatter the casing.

Worked on solenoids, too. And brake calipers, and stuck handbrakes. Happy days.

Well done, BTW. :D

BJ

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Re: Car Battery ID, update

Postby gnawsome » December 10th, 2019, 3:45 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Ah, the good old days (early 1980s in my case), when you carried a lump of wood around in your Mini so that you could give the Bendix a good whack whenever the starter jammed. The point being that if you hit it with a big spanner instead you might shatter the casing.

Worked on solenoids, too. And brake calipers, and stuck handbrakes. Happy days.

Well done, BTW. :D

BJ

Whereas nowadays its all a matter of selling you service stamps to qualify for your guarantee...
That'd be another moan when my 'feel-good' has worn out.
Another old saying "you can tell how good a fitter is -- by the size of hammer he uses"

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”