Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

If you don't know how

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

If you don't know how

Postby MonsterMork » January 8th, 2020, 10:42 am

to do it, then just don't do it! Go to your local garage and ask them to do it for you.

The scene:

Ford Transit presented for MoT.

The tester:

Muggins here :roll:

The problem:

Refuse to test due to risk of damage to the vehicle :(

The reason:

Too much oil in the engine. As in the oil level is about six inches above maximum on the dipstick :?

The result:

Drain oil, return correct amount into engine, check level, accept as now ok so proceed to test. It failed on a few items, but nowt too serious in the grand scheme of things, which for a 14 year old Transit ain't actually that bad!

So why all the hoo hah as described above? Customer had a small oil leak so topped up the oil. Which is all well and good, except for the fact that I drained 11 litres of oil out of an engine that only takes 6 :shock: They clearly had no clue as to what the dip stick is for, so had quite probably just gone to Halfords or the like, bought a 5 litre can of oil and sloshed in the whole lot in one go. The risk here is that there was a very good chance of hydraulically locking the engine, leading to the engine going bang in spectacular fashion and leaving us with a bill for cleaning up the MoT ramp and fitting a new engine in the customers vehicle at our expense. If it had gone bang whilst being driven on the road? Use your imagination .... :(

Come on people, as it says above, if you don't know how to do it ask for help.

MM

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: If you don't know how

Postby swill453 » January 8th, 2020, 10:55 am

Interested why you checked the oil? Is that part of the MOT?

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 8th, 2020, 10:57 am

Dipstick is as dipstick does. :lol:

Care to have a guess as to whether they'd used the right oil?

Mind you, you're talking to somebody here who once put antifreeze into his windscreen washer bottle. It wasn't my fault, you see, it was the blue colour. I wasn't properly awake at the time. :? Didn't notice it until some days later when I used the washers and noticed the pungent smell. Whoops. Quick drain and a speedy wash/wax to spare my paintwork....

BJ

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » January 8th, 2020, 2:00 pm

swill453 wrote:Interested why you checked the oil? Is that part of the MOT?

Scott.

Yes, oil level is checked. You are supposed to do a walkaround check before starting a test*. Check is to make sure that all required access panels and doors can be opened, boot and bonnet opened, fuel filler cap accessed and tyres are not completely flat (spare excluded). Check also includes the oil level, as having low (or no) oil can not only cause the engine to go bang during testing but may also have an effect on emissions.

MM

*not all testers do this all the time (some never), and yes, I am as guilty as anyone else in that I occasionally forget to do so, but it is part of the correct testing procedure and failure to do so could lead to points on your testers licence

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » January 8th, 2020, 2:09 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Care to have a guess as to whether they'd used the right oil?

BJ

I reckon it was probably close enough as the engine sounded relatively healthy compared to some Transits! :lol:

Mined ewe, I know of one tester who wondered why a petrol engine car smelled of chip fat, which was usually confined to cheapskates back in the day running diesels on used chip shop oil. Turned out the customer was low on oil and found Tesco to be the only place open after 9 at night to get oil from. Unfortunately there was no Castrol or similar on the shelf so they though a bottle of Mazola would do the job just as well …… :shock:

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Sobraon » January 8th, 2020, 5:58 pm

Yes, my continental make ( but made in China) car does not have a dipstick. The oil was changed by my local independent in November and on Monday it reported low oil on the drivers display.

The display showed the oil level at minimum and helpfully suggested that it needed a litre which was carefully measured and poured into the filler. Ran the engine for 15 minutes and checked the level on the display - no change.

So I left it overnight in the expectation that the reading would reset (although I did wonder if the sensor was faulty). This morning it was still showing low and asking for a litre. I decided to put another 250ml in to see if the level changed. No change on the display, went for a drive and 15 miles later the display shows 3/4 full. Checking online it seems the oil level sensor possibly only resets when driving and not idling and needs up to 30 miles to register!

I could have quite easily overfilled the oil if I had followed the instructions given to me on the drivers display.

Still I suppose this technology has reduced the number of 'dipsticks' driving around ;) .

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » January 8th, 2020, 7:29 pm

Sobraon wrote: went for a drive and 15 miles later the display shows 3/4 full. Checking online it seems the oil level sensor possibly only resets when driving and not idling and needs up to 30 miles to register!

Yes, we too have fallen foul of that nice little idea recently, though thankfully as with yourself before inadvertantly glugging in several gallons of bastid expensive 0W/20. Porsche are also guilty of doing it botty about face, ISTR a Cayenne in for service not long back that took three of us two hours and a boat load of tinterweb research to find that oil changes need the bonnet opening and closing several times, with a ten minute wait period each time and a fully hot engine. The latest Range Rovers require a fully hot engine and a ten minute wait. Some higher end Mercedes are also guilty, having electronic dipsticks but then also requiring spanner slingers to spend up to 150 quid on a set of proper dipsticks for service use only! Wot the flip???!!! :shock: :roll:

Come the revolution there are many, many car designers who will be lined up against the wall ..... :twisted:

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 9th, 2020, 9:52 am

Sobraon wrote: Checking online it seems the oil level sensor possibly only resets when driving and not idling and needs up to 30 miles to register!

I can understand some sort of lag in the system to "latch" the fault has being present rather than triggered by steep hills or enthusiastic cornering etc, but relying solely on an electromechanical sensor for something so easy to check manually seems daft.

Paul

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 9th, 2020, 10:27 am

MonsterMork wrote:

I reckon it was probably close enough as the engine sounded relatively healthy compared to some Transits! :lol:

Mined ewe, I know of one tester who wondered why a petrol engine car smelled of chip fat, which was usually confined to cheapskates back in the day running diesels on used chip shop oil. Turned out the customer was low on oil and found Tesco to be the only place open after 9 at night to get oil from. Unfortunately there was no Castrol or similar on the shelf so they though a bottle of Mazola would do the job just as well …… :shock:

I'm not sure 'just as well' is accurate but in an emergency I would have thought that any oil is better than none. On the other hand a friend has a microlight aircraft and it's engine is designed to run for 30 minutes without oil or water. I did ask if it could run without fuel but the answer wasn't very polite. :lol:

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”